Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:38 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times

Advertisements

Many threads deal with the theme that America was (or was not) founded as a christian nation. The posts then argue pro and con.
Why is it so important?
Before anyone gets off on this please remember that the thread is not if America is a christian nation or not, but why is it important to declare America a christian nation.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 PM

11,268 posts, read 11,032,046 times
Why is it a mission priority for atheists to have "In God we trust" removed from our currency, and "One nation under God" taken out of our Pledge of Allegiance?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:30 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,601 times
Regarding what "Conservatives" think....check out the book Ain't My America: The Long, Noble History of Antiwar Conservatism and Middle American Anti-Imperialism

Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 PM

449 posts, read 934,701 times
It isn't. It is important that the values of those who founded this Country be preserved. America has a unique culture and spirit that many (including myself) fear is being destroyed.

In general, people from Judeo-Christian backgrounds have similar values and there is no question that these values formed the basis of our culture.

Very little of this actually comes down to Christian vs other. What it comes down to is those who wish to preserve American values and culture vs those who wish to see it destroyed (Atheists). Christians, tend to attribute these values to their faith. While they are not completely correct, they are not completely wrong either. In fact, all Christian values came from Judaism, but Christians are the primary champions of these values. As long as they are willing to do so, I am one Jew who supports them 100%. And it is nice to see more and more of them giving us the credit we deserve.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:43 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many threads deal with the theme that America was (or was not) founded as a christian nation. The posts then argue pro and con.
Why is it so important?
Before anyone gets off on this please remember that the thread is not if America is a christian nation or not, but why is it important to declare America a christian nation.
To pi$$ you off. just kidding.people really came here for freedom and the freedom to practice their christian religion and the ten commandments.History book have been rewritten since then but I have on old set of encyclopedias that explains it real well published in the 30's.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:59 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
Quote:
those who wish to see it destroyed (Atheists).
"Atheists" fall all over the political spectrum. It's not an ideology, after all. It's just a term used to describe one particular, narrow aspect of some people's personal philosophies. Sort of like "bread eaters" or "people who wear pants." You get all sorts.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:12 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Values from 234 years ago should not serve as absolutes for our modern society. To say that they should be preserved is unrealistic. It leaves no room for growth or improvement. The comment by edub above where atheists are supposedly interested in destroying values is utter nonsense. They support the separation of church and state. What could be more of an American value than that?

Personally, if someone tried to declare this a Christian nation on an official level, I would feel compelled to call for their deportation or murder. You do not jam your pitiful excuse for a deity down my throat without a fight.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Maybe you can point out some of these imaginary threads discussing america being declared a christian nation..

Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,800 times
Why don't you ask all those that are trying to prove so hard that it is NOT a Christian nations. I have seen way more threads about how it is NOT a Christian nation then ones saying it is.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 PM

805 posts, read 774,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Values from 234 years ago should not serve as absolutes for our modern society. To say that they should be preserved is unrealistic. It leaves no room for growth or improvement. The comment by edub above where atheists are supposedly interested in destroying values is utter nonsense. They support the separation of church and state. What could be more of an American value than that?

Personally, if someone tried to declare this a Christian nation on an official level, I would feel compelled to call for their deportation or murder. You do not jam your pitiful excuse for a deity down my throat without a fight.
It is De Facto a Christian Nation... deal with it you.... relativist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies