Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,699 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see this lying Breitbart character taken down a peg. It's just too bad Faux News can't go with him..

Quote:
At least three attorneys experienced in defamation and libel tell Media Matters for America that she could well win.
"Most certainly she does have a case," said Attorney Deborah Drooz of Brownstein, Hyatt, Farber, Schreck in Los Angeles, which has handled such cases for Martha Stewart and Aretha Franklin. "What Mr. Breitbart did was to create the false appearance that Ms. Sherrod was a racist. He used that to further his conservative agenda. He deprived the viewer of the ability to decide for himself what Ms. Sherrod said."
Drooz added, "If he knew that this was only an excerpt, he published it with the knowledge that there was something else. To publish something that created the impression without investigating further, that is acting with reckless disregard for the truth."
Legal Experts: Sherrod Lawsuit Against Breitbart Has Merit | Media Matters for America (http://mediamatters.org/strupp/201007290047 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,319 times
I'd like to see her do well in a law suit.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Me too. According to one attorney, Sherrod needs to prove that Breitbart either knew the tape was edited or had reason to suspect it was.

It's obvious to most people what Breitbart was up to, but Sherrod has to prove it.

Just watch...he, along with Faux News, will start asking for donations for the Breitbart defense fund anytime now..

Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
big mistake, shirley.

her entire past, associations(including her marxist black separatist husband), and actions can be used to establish that breitbart was correct in his assertion that she is a racist.

she could come out not only a loser on her case, but the subsequent counter suit for smearing breitbart, exposed as a liar, racist and not to mention review/audit of her department's spending of taxpayer money on home loans, police cars, etc..

here's an expert who doesn't think her case has much merit.
Should Shirley Sherrod Sue Andrew Breitbart and Fox News?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:56 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
This will be interesting, since I had heard from people who were asking Brietbart for the full video of the Sherrod speech, that he was trying to get the whole thing, because all he had was the portions he had released. As far as I know, the NAACP were the only people who had possession of the full speech.

Besides, she was a government employee, speaking in her public capacity before a group, so I do not think she has a standing to sue. Then again I'm not a lawyer.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
big mistake, shirley.

her entire past, associations(including her marxist black separatist husband), and actions can be used to establish that breitbart was correct in his assertion that she is a racist.

she could come out not only a loser on her case, but the subsequent counter suit for smearing breitbart, exposed as a liar, racist and not to mention review/audit of her department's spending of taxpayer money on home loans, police cars, etc..

here's an expert who doesn't think her case has much merit.
Should Shirley Sherrod Sue Andrew Breitbart and Fox News?

Hmm... your expert John Dean isn't exactly complimentary toward Breitbart:

Quote:
Frankly, if I found myself in Shirley Sherrod's situation, I would file a lawsuit next week. But I could represent myself in court, and would take delight in going after a jackass like Breitbart, not to mention Fox News, to expose what they are doing. For me, the reward would be holding them accountable for even nominal damages and making their lives miserable.
Quote:
Breitbart, it is clear, is not backing down. Authoritarians never do. He refuses to explain where he got the edited video clip of Sherrod, and he is not apologizing. This is standard authoritarian behavior. To the contrary, he is continuing to attack Sherrod, along with his larger target, the NAACP. He claims that he is sorry that she got messed over by the Obama Administration and the NAACP, but he is not letting up on his race- baiting.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
I said in the other thread about this that she should sue for libel & slander and I'm glad to see her do it! I do believe she has a very strong case.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Just because a few attorneys feel there's a case doesn't mean a judge would see it the same way. Recall that there are attorneys who believe Obama is not a US citizen. A judge has rendered the merits worthless. In other words, you can find any jackboot lawyer to agree with you. It's not hard to do.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,152 times
We'll see if she takes it to the courts and what happens, then.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,437,263 times
I hope she takes him down. Good luck Mrs. Sherrod!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies