Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,271 times

Advertisements

I was watching Headline News, and they did a piece on the "epidemic of violence" in America. They discussed such topics as mass shootings, gang warfare, serial killers, kids killing kids, etc.

They said that America has a "culture of violence". But they never fully explain what a "culture of violence" is.

Just what exactly is a "culture of violence"?

What does that mean for America?

Does America even have a "culture of violence"? Is America that violent?

Why don't other countries have a "culture of violence"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Questions like this just make me want to tear somebody's head off.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
So called "rappers" that laugh and sing about "bustin a cap in a policeman's head" in their filth that passes as pop-culture "music". Said "music" which is then spoon fed to children in prime-time and glorified as a pathway to fame, fortune, and social acceptance.

Need I continue?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Violence is entitlment-fueled. We, as a nation, have built up a standard whereas the individual is perceived to be lacking in capability and accomplishment if he/she does not have what the other person has. Therefore, we ply away daily seeking whatever it is that we and others perceive us to be lacking. For some, that means doing whatever it takes to get it, including violence.

It usually revolves around money. In the United States, money is power. Personal financial ills have lead to this culture of violence, in my view. Too many people are frustrated by their lack of getting ahead no matter what they do. In one way or another, they're tired of being behind the curve. Violence, be it domestic violence or gang violence, 9 times out of 10 it can be linked back to money.

Money is the root of all evil.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:59 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
you walk into a bar, and spill someones drink on them by accident...whats gonna happen?

you cut someone off on the highway and see them following you...what might happen?

you sell something on craigslist and invite them to your home...what might happen?

you don't own a gun and your acquaintances know it...what might happen?

you witness a murder...what might happen?

they might come and kill you.

http://www.wow.com/2010/02/16/boozin...-mom-over-wow/

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/..._throat_sl.php

thats what the "culture of violence" means.

we are no longer a peaceful society. i keep my .45 in my glove box, and a 9mil under my pillow.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARGE View Post
So called "rappers" that laugh and sing about "bustin a cap in a policeman's head" in their filth that passes as pop-culture "music". Said "music" which is then spoon fed to children in prime-time and glorified as a pathway to fame, fortune, and social acceptance.

Need I continue?
How about a gun culture to go with it? You know, the freedom to purchase a pistol or rifle even if you dont know how to use one. But can't put any restrictions on purchasing a gun, can we? Remember, this is America, where freedom = the right to bear arms.

So make sure you include that in your state of the nation.

And to answer the original question: America was founded on the genocide of the Native American people, as well as the bondage of African American peoples, and the killing aint never really stopped. We mainly export the government sponsored killing, but our streets are awash in blood too.

Freedom?

1 in 99 Americans are behind bars, the highest % in the world.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
I was watching Headline News, and they did a piece on the "epidemic of violence" in America. They discussed such topics as mass shootings, gang warfare, serial killers, kids killing kids, etc.

They said that America has a "culture of violence". But they never fully explain what a "culture of violence" is.

You just described it.
I live overseas a lot of the time.
I always feel more safe, no matter where I live, than when I live in America.
It is a very violent country.
We have more people incarcerated than any other industrialized nation.
Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/r188.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/wo...3738.html?_r=1

Some countries have crime against possessions or property; the US has crime against people.
We're number 1 (hey, we're no. 1) U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations
The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Funny, the white collar criminals that affect us most, do little or no time and if they do end in prison it's a country club type.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARGE View Post

Need I continue?
It's far deeper than rappers or any musical genre.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You just described it.
I live overseas a lot of the time.
I always feel more safe, no matter where I live, than when I live in America.
It is a very violent country.
We have more people incarcerated than any other industrialized nation.
Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/r188.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/wo...3738.html?_r=1

Some countries have crime against possessions or property; the US has crime against people.
We're number 1 (hey, we're no. 1) U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations
The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Funny, the white collar criminals that affect us most, do little or no time and if they do end in prison it's a country club type.
We are a nation of laws. That's how it works. The harping about "US is #1 in prison populations" gets pretty old.

Don't like prison? Don't break laws. It's really pretty simple.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:

Play video games much? It's "fun" to blast people (or creatures) into little puddles of red ooze, didn't you know that?

Yes we have a culture of violence. I am HORRIFIED every time I turn on a television set (which is exceedingly rare). It seems that every show on the air is about murder these days. No wonder the masses feel that killing is somehow de rigueur.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies