Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it be ratified again without any modifications?
Yes 6 27.27%
No 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times

Advertisements

I have been reading a lot about the constitution lately. Obviously most Americans herald the Constitution as a great triumph of liberty. And as we know, all government officials are sworn to uphold the constitution.

So as I read through the constitution, and the amendments to the constitution. I have found myself wondering, if the states were to ratify the original constitution today, would we? Secondly, would we ratify all of the subsequent amendments?

Well, I personally believe the original constitution would be ratified again. And I believe the majority of the rest of the amendments would also be adopted as they are(or at least incorporated into the original constitution).

But, there is one amendment that I feel pretty strongly would not be passed again right now if it was up for a vote. This amendment is the 14th amendment. The 14th amendment provides birthright citizenship, which is the primary foundation for immigration reform. The 14th amendment is also the center for debate over things like abortion rights, church in schools, second-amendment right to bear arms, and corporate personhood(among many others).

Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, knowing all the crazyness going on in the country right now with the tea-partiers and the Arizona immigration battle....

Do you believe that if the 14th amendment went before Congress in its current form, that it would be passed and ratified again by the states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I have been reading a lot about the constitution lately. Obviously most Americans herald the Constitution as a great triumph of liberty. And as we know, all government officials are sworn to uphold the constitution.

So as I read through the constitution, and the amendments to the constitution. I have found myself wondering, if the states were to ratify the original constitution today, would we? Secondly, would we ratify all of the subsequent amendments?

Well, I personally believe the original constitution would be ratified again. And I believe the majority of the rest of the amendments would also be adopted as they are(or at least incorporated into the original constitution).

But, there is one amendment that I feel pretty strongly would not be passed again right now if it was up for a vote. This amendment is the 14th amendment. The 14th amendment provides birthright citizenship, which is the primary foundation for immigration reform. The 14th amendment is also the center for debate over things like abortion rights, church in schools, second-amendment right to bear arms, and corporate personhood(among many others).

Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, knowing all the crazyness going on in the country right now with the tea-partiers and the Arizona immigration battle....

Do you believe that if the 14th amendment went before Congress in its current form, that it would be passed and ratified again by the states?
No, nor do I think that 9 of the first 10 amendments would pass, as the public has become dumbed down and easily whipped into fear and paranoia and an authoritarian culture has taken root in the US. The only one of the amendments which make up the Bill of Rights that would pass today would be the 3rd, mainly because there's no interest group in favor of forcing the quartering of British soldiers in American residences (though I suppose some American women would love to have Wills and Harry quartered where they live). Of the other earlier amendments, the 11th might pass. The 13th would pass just because it's pretty universally agreed upon that slavery's a bad thing.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
I don't have the slightest doubt that the heart of the 14th Amendment would be sustained

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
No, nor do I think that 9 of the first 10 amendments would pass, as the public has become dumbed down and easily whipped into fear and paranoia and an authoritarian culture has taken root in the US. The only one of the amendments which make up the Bill of Rights that would pass today would be the 3rd, mainly because there's no interest group in favor of forcing the quartering of British soldiers in American residences (though I suppose some American women would love to have Wills and Harry quartered where they live). Of the other earlier amendments, the 11th might pass. The 13th would pass just because it's pretty universally agreed upon that slavery's a bad thing.
Well lets go over them.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression - Would pass, it is the just too important.
Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms - Might not pass, it would be difficult to get it ratified in 3/4ths of the states.
Amendment 3 - Quartering of Soldiers - Would pass, but doesn't matter
Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure - Would pass, but with some resistance from neo-cons and their ilk.
Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings - Would pass
Amendment 6 - Right to Speedy Trial, Confrontation of Witnesses - Would pass
Amendment 7 - Trial by Jury in Civil Cases - Would pass
Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment - Would pass
Amendment 9 - Construction of Constitution - Would pass
Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People - Would pass
Amendment 11 - Judicial Limits - Would pass
Amendment 12 - Choosing the President, Vice President - Would pass
Amendment 13 - Slavery Abolished - Would pass
Amendment 14 - Citizenship Rights - Would not pass, not a single part. While people enjoy their protections, most states have too much interest in preventing the usurpation of their sovereignty by judicial review. And the birthright citizenship would definitely be ripped out.
Amendment 15 - Race No Bar to Vote - Would pass
Amendment 16 - Status of Income Tax Clarified - I do not believe this would pass, it is the foundation for the federal income tax.
Amendment 17 - Senators Elected by Popular Vote - Would pass
Amendment 18 - Liquor Abolished - Wouldn't pass, but is superceded by 21st amendment
Amendment 19 - Women's Suffrage - Would pass
Amendment 20 - Presidential, Congressional Terms - Would pass
Amendment 21 - Amendment 18 Repealed - Would pass
Amendment 22 - Presidential Term Limits - Would pass
Amendment 23 - Presidential Vote for District of Columbia - Would pass
Amendment 24 - Poll Taxes Barred - Would pass
Amendment 25 - Presidential Disability and Succession - Would pass
Amendment 26 - Voting Age Set to 18 Years - Would pass
Amendment 27 - Limiting Changes to Congressional Pay - Would pass

In my opinion. That leaves the 2nd, 14th, and 16th amendment as the only amendments that might not be part of the constitution today if there was a revote.

The second amendment I still think would pass, but possibly needing a slight change in wording to prevent people from owning tanks, grenades, rocket launchers, assault rifles, etc. Most states support gun rights, only a handful of cities have ever tried to ban guns.

The 16th amendment is for the federal income tax. In the beginning this tax was always aimed at the very wealthiest of Americans(which is why it had so much support). But since the vast majority of Americans absolutely despise the income-tax, it is questionable. But many Americans have become too aquainted with entitlements to risk losing them without it. So it could still pass.

The 14th amendment, I do not believe any single part of it would pass. The birthright citizenship would definitely not make it. And while most Americans appreciate the equal protections clause. This clause also hands over all state sovereignty to the federal government. Many states who are currently arguing over things like Church in school, abortion, creationism taught in school, immigration, gays, gun rights, etc. Will be adamantly opposed. I do not believe the equal protections section would be accepted.

And the other four sections are sort of unnecessary.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,275,413 times
Yes the 14th would pass and it would pass (in all context) as it goes to fill the GAP that the constitution left open; how one is considered a Citizen of the United States.

Anyone who has voted "no" on this poll is seriously out of touch with history.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Yes the 14th would pass and it would pass (in all context) as it goes to fill the GAP that the constitution left open; how one is considered a Citizen of the United States.

The constitution did not leave a GAP open. This "GAP" was intentional. It would be as if you said that the founding fathers left a "gap" open for universal healthcare or gay marriage. The original intent of this nation was not to have a strong federal government. And having citizenship in any state in this country was the equivalent of having American citizenship.

I don't think you understand the original intent of this nation, and how the 14th amendment fundamentally changed this country from a nation of sovereign states, to a single sovereign nation.

If you pay any attention to states like Texas, Alaska, and even Vermont talking of secession. If you didn't notice that states across this country passed 10th amendment resolutions, that would declare to nullify any federal law that they deem unconstitutional. If you don't see the continuing discussion of states rights. And then remember, to pass an amendment would require 39 states to ratify said amendment. That would mean there would need to be no more than 11 states that would oppose turning over their right to bear arms to interpretation by the supreme court. That would mean no more than 11 states would oppose birthright citizenship to illegal immigrants. That would mean no more than 11 states would oppose the supreme court deciding things such as church in schools, the pledge of allegiance, and abortion rights.

I could name off more than 11 states that wouldn't sign on simply because of the birthright citizenship clause.

Let alone that it would require 67 votes to pass in the senate.

The 14th amendment would never, never pass as it is right now. Too many states would love to go back to being sovereign nations. Too many states oppose birthright citizenship. And too many states are tired of being bullied by the federal government.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:12 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
The 14th would not be passed today as is without clarification of the illegals brats. They would not be given citizenship because their parents are involved in a crime against the US. Tech wise, it is that way, but it would be very clear before it could have a chance of passing.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 AM

wow, that is such a racists comment, where to start with just how wrong your statement is.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
The constitution did not leave a GAP open. This "GAP" was intentional. It would be as if you said that the founding fathers left a "gap" open for universal healthcare or gay marriage. The original intent of this nation was not to have a strong federal government. And having citizenship in any state in this country was the equivalent of having American citizenship.

WHAT the heck are you talking about?

What part of my reply stated any of your "rant".

I did not mention gap
I did not mention anything about healthcare or gay marriage.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post

I disagree. Many of the things were passed in that era could not have passed had it not been for the South in rebellion and then Reconstruction governments in the South.

I don't think it could've been passed even then let alone now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies