Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Resources belong to the nation. States benefit, but ultimately the commerce clause in the constitution applies which affords the power to regulate commerce. You think of the USA as if it were a collection of countries. That would be USSR.

Resources such as Coal, oil, timber, other minerals including gold, are State resources!!!

The commerce clause does not regulated until it crosses state lines. How it got harvested into the State, is no business of the Federal government.

The commerce clause is fixing to be tested, as it has be redefined so many times. It has become the catch all to a government take over of the economy, private business and property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM

129 posts, read 191,847 times
Quote:
The government can regulate mines, to keep the price at a level they want.
That's a whole other problem with the federal government that needs to be stopped.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,638,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
In both instances, we're looking not at the resource itself but protecting people. How is that not in the national interest? I assume you're opposed to child labor laws, minimum wage etc?
Hmmm. Children live throughout the nation. Wages are paid throughout the nation. Mining is done in only parts of the nation.

Remind me again what is confusing about mining not being a national issue like child labor and minimum wage?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
are we not the united STATES....we are not the country of america...we are the united STATES of america

If you make sense, they will short circuit.
Becareful!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:43 PM

37,958 posts, read 17,900,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
OSHA has always been a Federal agency. Is OSHA considered Big Government now?

Workers

You have the right to a safe workplace -
You have the right to a safe workplace. The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (OSHAct) was passed to prevent workers from being killed or seriously harmed at work. The law requires that employers provide their employees with working conditions that are free of known dangers. The Act
created the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), which sets and enforces protective workplace safety and health standards. OSHA also provides information, training and assistance to workers and employers. Workers may file a complaint to have OSHA inspect their workplace if they believe that their employer is not following OSHA standards or there are serious hazards.

All American workplaces should abide by OSHA. Rand is an Idiot.
So individual states have people too dumb to make their own regulations, is that your thinking? You're way off base and haven't given this much thought. Rand is a heck of a lot smarter than you. He understands a state has alot more to offer on safety regulations than the Federal government since they can impose regulations aimed at their specific industries. Each state can focus on their own needs and as well as avoiding the costly extra layer of the federal government.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
No reason to have a safe work place. If miners die then I guess they should have just known the company was going to cut corners and leave them to die.

This is why libertarianism is for fools and doesn't work in the real world.
Funny how you missed Rand Pauls point completely. I guess you did not bother to read what he actually said or just ignored it because you have an agenda.
I want you to show me where Rand Paul says he wants the local government to stay out of the safety business. I'll be waiting.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaTwins View Post
That's a whole other problem with the federal government that needs to be stopped.
The federal government controls all national resources. If they are within your state, then you get tax revenue from that, but its a national resource, not just your states.

Its to keep the price from going rock bottom, and using our natural resources at once, instead of over a period of time.

If you want to see what happens when government doesn't regulate natural resources, look at the dust bowl.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I give up. I cannot tell the sarcasm from the serious in this thread. Does anyone really believe that eliminating mine, along with all the other, safety regulation is a good thing? Coal mining is a very dangerous trade when done correctly. It is deadly when it is not. The fools on this thread that claim “other jobs are available” have no idea of how a small town dominated by the mine actually operate. Mining is the only good paying job in town and the mining company controls the town politics to prevent any new industry from locating anywhere close enough to compete for the work force.

Then there is the advocate for child labor. I grew up in a family that ran a small business and I was working from 6 to 14 years old. I did not get paid but if I didn’t get the chores done I did not get fed. I had very little freedom that I did not steal from my drunken step father. I didn’t play base ball with the neighborhood kids because I was working. I know what child labor is about and I would not wish it on anyone but its advocates.

Both Ron and Rand Paul are both ideologs and incredibly callus people if they think their way is the Right Way. They are also fools if they think anyone, but a very small and equally mean minority, agree with them.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Another poster who makes things up about Rand Paul. Why would you think Rand Paul is against Mining safety and regulations when he has never stated that?

Amazing how the left makes things up about Rand Paul and how badly they misrepresent what he stands for. I say this about the left THIS TIME, because some of the skeevey, old line republicans tried to pull the same thing on Rand during the primary and it back fired. All it does is educate the public and brings more light on EXACTLY how Rand Paul feels on the issues.
Not many people like to hear the person they want in office lying about opponents issues. Sooner or later people will wise up when they hear absurd lies about Rand Pauls position and will investigate for themselves what he actually said and in what context.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me there is more misrepresentation and half truths about Rand Pauls policies than any candidate I've followed.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:00 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
I come down on the side of Federal Regulations in this case. Although what Rand Paul said is correct, and what his father says is ususally correct, the success of a Libetarian nation assumes that everyone is honorable and will try to do the right thing. Although I don't want the government's fingers in every pie, in many cases federal regulations are a good and worthy function of government.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,688,591 times
Wait wait I think we all are confused... children dont have alot of rights so they are protected because they are not adults and not able to understand the choices in from of them.
MINERS do its a dangerous job.
Miners dont have to TAKE THE JOB find another line of work if your concerned the place you want to work at is not interested in your safety. The idea that the federal government has to protect from a job that is dangerous is just plan silly. When miners dont want to work because they will be unsafe the business or make adjustments. If not they will be out of business end of story.
That goes for any factory and work environment and MOST places follow a safety standard!!!
If local and or state governments want laws on a building matter and or dangerous issues with the land they are on that would be one thing as far as "gas levels" when people are informed of the dangers they are less likely to do the job and will have to do it at a higher cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies