Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2010, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Reputation: 4212

Advertisements

FOXNews.com - Son of Pilot Who Dropped A-Bomb Opposes Plan to Send U.S. Delegation to Hiroshima Ceremony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 AM
 
720 posts, read 691,696 times
Reputation: 204
Reading this crap, while drinking my morning coffee, is making my normal, less than cheerful morning attitude, even worse....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM
 
35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Reputation: 6195
"Ryan Gallucci, a spokesman for AMVETS (http://www.amvets.org/about_us/who_we_are.html - broken link), an organization representing more than 180,000 veterans, said his organization supports the decision to send Roos, but he said the visit should not be seen as a conciliatory act.

"'Considering how our relationship with Japan has evolved into a peaceful partnership over the years, we support the U.S. decision to send an envoy acknowledging the human toll of WWII," Gallucci said in a statement to FoxNews.com. 'To AMVETS, the U.S. visit is an appropriate act of reciprocation for Japan's solidarity over the years, such as last summer's visit to the Punch Bowl National Cemetery (the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific) by Emperor Akihito, where he laid a wreath in honor of America's sacrifices in WWII.'"

This isnt Obama going to Hiroshima.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 AM
 
720 posts, read 691,696 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Ryan Gallucci, a spokesman for AMVETS (http://www.amvets.org/about_us/who_we_are.html - broken link), an organization representing more than 180,000 veterans, said his organization supports the decision to send Roos, but he said the visit should not be seen as a conciliatory act.

"'Considering how our relationship with Japan has evolved into a peaceful partnership over the years, we support the U.S. decision to send an envoy acknowledging the human toll of WWII," Gallucci said in a statement to FoxNews.com. 'To AMVETS, the U.S. visit is an appropriate act of reciprocation for Japan's solidarity over the years, such as last summer's visit to the Punch Bowl National Cemetery (the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific) by Emperor Akihito, where he laid a wreath in honor of America's sacrifices in WWII.'"

This isnt Obama going to Hiroshima.
I have to ask you, respectfully of course, and I am truly looking for an answer.

In the past few threads, albeit you got me on the last one , you state "It isn't Obama..."

Now, setting everything I feel about the man aside, if decisions are made under Obama, in his white house, then why is he not responsible for the actions.

If I let me kids run rampant through the streets and cause trouble, I am ultimately responsible for their actions(IE I get to foot the bill) because they are my responsibility. Why is the same logic not being applied to the man elected to run our country? If he(Obama) hand appoints someone to a organization which directly reports to his administration, then how is it not Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 06:45 AM
 
35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Reputation: 6195
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
I have to ask you, respectfully of course, and I am truly looking for an answer.

In the past few threads, albeit you got me on the last one , you state "It isn't Obama..."

Now, setting everything I feel about the man aside, if decisions are made under Obama, in his white house, then why is he not responsible for the actions.

If I let me kids run rampant through the streets and cause trouble, I am ultimately responsible for their actions(IE I get to foot the bill) because they are my responsibility. Why is the same logic not being applied to the man elected to run our country? If he(Obama) hand appoints someone to a organization which directly reports to his administration, then how is it not Obama.
You know how heads of state send different levels of representatives out, and that sends a signal as to the importance of the event? Like sending the Vice President or a lower ranking official instead of the President to the funeral of a leader of some powerful-ish country we werent warm friends with. That's what I meant.

I think this is much less than reciprocal with the Emperor's visit to Punchbowl cemetery. I think he laid a wreath there, or at Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Reputation: 4212
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Ryan Gallucci, a spokesman for AMVETS (http://www.amvets.org/about_us/who_we_are.html - broken link), an organization representing more than 180,000 veterans, said his organization supports the decision to send Roos, but he said the visit should not be seen as a conciliatory act.

"'Considering how our relationship with Japan has evolved into a peaceful partnership over the years, we support the U.S. decision to send an envoy acknowledging the human toll of WWII," Gallucci said in a statement to FoxNews.com. 'To AMVETS, the U.S. visit is an appropriate act of reciprocation for Japan's solidarity over the years, such as last summer's visit to the Punch Bowl National Cemetery (the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific) by Emperor Akihito, where he laid a wreath in honor of America's sacrifices in WWII.'"

This isnt Obama going to Hiroshima.

One guy speaking for 180k people? I doubt they all agree. Also in the grand scheme of things 180k veterans is a relatively small number compared to the 16 million who served in WWII alone. Obama may not be going but this is certainly being done under his direction. You should stop making excuses for Barry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 AM
 
35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Reputation: 6195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
One guy speaking for 180k people? I doubt they all agree. Also in the grand scheme of things 180k veterans is a relatively small number compared to the 16 million who served in WWII alone. Obama may not be going but this is certainly being done under his direction. You should stop making excuses for Barry.
This is not an "apology tour", sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Reputation: 4212
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is not an "apology tour", sorry.

I disagree. Apology not accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 AM
 
14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Reputation: 13807
I don't think we should apologize or that we are apologizing. But the dropping of the first atomic bomb is an important milestone for humanity and deserves to be marked as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 09:05 AM
 
13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Reputation: 7653
Hmmmm...the article is short on details. However the releasing of white doves tells me the ceremony seems to indicate that reconcilliation, not contrition, is the main theme. I think we can all live with that.

As for Obama later visiting Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that might be a bit more complicated.

I personally think the a-bombs were justified, a no-brainer. That does not mean I am happy about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top