Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,491 times

Advertisements

How about a mandatory 3 year jail sentence if caught with an unregistered gun.
Also mandatory death sentence for killing with a gun.
This could be great deterrent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Guns shouldn't need to be registered. So no. And the death penalty should be decided on a state by state basis and based on sufficient evidence to convict.

So how about, no to both?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,491 times
Make them both federal laws.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
The government does not have a right to force me to register my gun. They do not need to know if I have or do not have a firearm.

Owning firearms is NOT a right given me by the government. The government therefore cannot take away, infringe upon or otherwise curtail or control my RIGHT extended to me by the Creator (whether you believe the Creator to be a deity or evolution).

MOVE ALONG

I am for the death penalty where capital murder is proven beyond a reasonable doubt according to the laws of the several states.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Great, but one question... are you OK with the 50%+ tax increase it would cost to prosecute and jail all those people?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Make them both federal laws.
If they become federal laws, it's up to patriots to refuse to register their guns. If enough patriots refuse to register, the law is unenforceable. It's also up to state governments to take the case to the Supreme court to challenge not only a federal infringement on state rights but also a blatant violation of the second amendment. Then it's up to the supreme court to strike that law into the trash bin. Then it's up to the voters to vote out every politician who supported that bill.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM

990 posts, read 939,717 times
Quote:
Mandatory minimums are idiotic because they do not allow for exceptions. There's a difference between my being caught with an unregistered gun because I bought it from a buddy and forgot to register it and my having possession of a Uzi with the serial scratched off...

As for death sentences, they should be more liberally used, but for crimes of psychopathy not those of passion or panic. Rape, child molestation and kidnapping for ransom should also be capital offenses, obviously with exceptions based on the severity of the crime.

We can't regulate psychopathy, all of these mass murders happen because a psychopath (a diagnosed one at that, Holmes, Lanza, Hasan and Cho all had severe mental health issues and were considered dangerous before they went on their killing sprees) was allowed to not only be free, but also allowed to get a hold of a firearm. That's the problem. Psychotic people having guns. Not sane people. That's why gun control isn't the solution without the utter destruction of every gun on the planet...the solution is better monitoring of people with severe mental health issues.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM

344 posts, read 427,821 times
Quote:

Dude, the goal is to prevent mass shootings. How does a 3 year prison sentence sound to a drug-ridden psychopath that has decided to kill as many people as possible, including himself?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post

Dude, the goal is to prevent mass shootings. How does a 3 year prison sentence sound to a drug-ridden psychopath that has decided to kill as many people as possible, including himself?
There is no need to waste our time preventing shooting spree's like Aurora, Lanza, Cho, Columbine. As tragic as they're, they are also very rare. In year 2012, maybe 50-100 people were killed in such attacks. This is a generous estimate for a particularly bad year. At the same time, some 15,000 - 20,000 people were murdered by other means.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Lanza, Cho, Klebold, Harris, et al. already took care of the mandatory death sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies