Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you're seriously going to argue that the history of white Americans is not taught enough in American schools then there's nothing to be discussed here.
European American history is widely taught in American schools; however, the history of African Americans and other racial groups are perceived in a positive connotation, unlike Euro-American history. In addition, the race or ethnicity of a great and influential Euro-American leader or hero is almost never mentioned. However, the race of a great African American leader or hero is frequently mentioned.

Like I said before, have you ever heard of George Washington or Douglass MacArthur referred to as "great European American/White American heroes"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

If you're seriously going to argue that the history of white Americans is not taught enough in American schools then there's nothing to be discussed here.
I didn't say white Americans. I asked about Japanese Americans and Italian Americans.

Why don't we have courses in Japanese American History? Or Italian American History? Or Chinese American History?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The New York Times > Log In

How can the school not be diverse when it is over 55% non-white or mixed raced?

I will never understand the thinking behind these people who are constantly pushing "diversity" just for the sake of diversity.
Silly C-D poster! You can't have 'diversity' until it's at least 90% nonwhite. Anything else is racism. (There; now everything is much clearer, isn't it?)

Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Once again, not to belabor the point...but this whole subject continues to mystify me....'Diversity'...'Multiculturalism'...'Toleranc e'..etc etc.

*No one TRULY advocates total diversity...for that would entail accepting and promoting the entire range of human behavior...the bad, as well as the good. Anyone who claims to want TOTAL diversity is either lying, or deluded. MOST of the world recognizes this fact..

*Multiculturalism? No such thing. The entire concept is only a few decades old. Cultures do not 'promote' each other, they promote their own members. NO culture looks upon another culture as 'just as good as it'. All cultures do things the 'sensible' way, and look at the other guy as doing things the 'hard way'...or the 'silly' way, or the 'wrong' way. Again, most of the world recognizes this, and most of the world has no desire to embrace multiculturalism.

*Tolerance? If something is GOOD, why must we 'tolerate' it? Wouldn't we happily embrace it? And if it's BAD, why would we WANT to tolerate it? "Tolerance", to my mind implies forcing oneself to accept that which is (apparently) intolerable; why would any sane person feel the need to 'tolerate' those things that are wrong, or bad? Wouldn't a sane person be able to differentiate bad and good?

Don't get me wrong here...I'm not some sort of 'grouch'. Now in the 41st year of an interracial marriage (3 kids, 4 grandkids)..with 3 races in my extended family, and probably 20 ethnicities..I do know something about 'differences'. But lots of this stuff just sounds silly to me.

I believe we Americans have a culture...an artificial culture born of the vast mixture inherited from our ancestors, in which we KEPT the good, and (hopefully) DISCARDED the bad...and now, we're Americans. As open-minded Americans, if something is good, we'll accept it, even if it's foreign, strange, and new to us....that, in fact, is the way the American culture came to be. However, if something (from another culture) is BAD, we should have the sense to reject it, without any sort of 'guilt' that we might be bigots (or worse). That's common sense....And once again, MOST of the world recognizes this...

Thank you for listening.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I didn't say white Americans. I asked about Japanese Americans and Italian Americans.

Why don't we have courses in Japanese American History? Or Italian American History? Or Chinese American History?
Italians and Italian Americans are white, by the way.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
European American history is widely taught in American schools; however, the history of African Americans and other racial groups are perceived in a positive connotation, unlike Euro-American history. In addition, the race or ethnicity of a great and influential Euro-American leader or hero is almost never mentioned. However, the race of a great African American leader or hero is frequently mentioned.

Like I said before, have you ever heard of George Washington or Douglass MacArthur referred to as "great European American/White American heroes"?
I've already explained this to you. Th ethnicity of white people in history isn't mentioned because people just assume that any important person is white unless otherwise specified. You're looking at it a though other groups have the privilege of the ethnicity of their historical figures pointed out. Instead you should look at it from the perspective that white people have the privilege of being the default group in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

Italian-Americans are European Americans. Need I refer you to a map?

Ideally we would teach history in an inclusive and non-biased way. Ideally being the operative word. PoC have to lobby for their history to be taught in classrooms and there's simply not enough political power behind Japanese and Chinese Americans to mount such an effort. Not to mention that the analogy is bunk given that blacks and native Americans were among the first people in the country.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Italian-Americans are European Americans. Need I refer you to a map?

Ideally we would teach history in an inclusive and non-biased way. Ideally being the operative word. PoC have to lobby for their history to be taught in classrooms and there's simply not enough political power behind Japanese and Chinese Americans to mount such an effort. Not to mention that the analogy is bunk given that blacks and native Americans were among the first people in the country.
Thank God I'm not the only one who knows this for a fact. Many people think of Italians as non-white.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:09 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Why is being polite, trying not to insult or hurt people, not ignorantly sterotyping individuals a bad thing. We use to raise our children to have good manners and treat others as we wanted to be treated so that they could function well as a positive member of the community. To many these days such well mannered behavior is labeled "politically correct" and used as an insult. Then wonder why we can't accomplish good things anymore. Whether people want to realize it or not, there is much that is good for all that can not be accomplished without the joint efforts of community. We use to know that.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Not to mention that the analogy is bunk given that blacks and native Americans were among the first people in the country.
really? i dont remember any black in leaf ericksons excursions to north america, nor do i remember any blacks when the chinese came here either in the 1000-1400 ad range. and columbus didnt have any blacks that i know of on his ships, i may be wrong on that, though, but cortez didnt have any blacks that i know of.

there is evidence that the chinese were here first, then the vikings, then the spaniards, then other northern europeans, and then the black africans.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Once again, not to belabor the point...but this whole subject continues to mystify me....'Diversity'...'Multiculturalism'...'Toleranc e'..etc etc.
It's not really a mystery. They're soothing-sounding code words that disguise particular agendas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies