Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times

Advertisements

The increasing frequency of protests against mosques (and subsequently our nation's religious freedom) by many tea party members reminds me of the Niemoller quote that begins, "They came first for the Communists,and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist...."

I'm afraid that all it will take will be a folksy, charismatic leader to rile up the lumpen, disenfranchised and bigoted masses to ratchet up attempts at the silencing or elimination of other groups.

I cringe to find out what's next. Protesting new gay bars? Picketing clinics that provide health care to the babies of immigrants?

This should be frightening to freedom-loving people everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Frightened?
I'm frightened by the gobsmacking idiocy of this post.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Reminds me more of the liberal protest of the 60's;except much more peaceful; than those.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Are you kidding? If anything, the Democrats should be embracing the Tea Party and Sarah Palin. The more exposure they get, the more likely the Democrats/Obama are reelected in the future.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
The increasing frequency of protests against mosques (and subsequently our nation's religious freedom) by many tea party members reminds me of the Niemoller quote that begins, "They came first for the Communists,and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist...."

I'm afraid that all it will take will be a folksy, charismatic leader to rile up the lumpen, disenfranchised and bigoted masses to ratchet up attempts at the silencing or elimination of other groups.

I cringe to find out what's next. Protesting new gay bars? Picketing clinics that provide health care to the babies of immigrants?

How about all the czars and dictatorial powers that the great one is amassing? Seems to me that should be of concern.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:52 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
This thread wins the ironic post of the day! Because don't look now but your "folksy charismatic" leader is none other than your very own president Barack Obama!

And yes, I cringe.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
I'm not getting the connection. Did you have a problem when people were marching in the streets calling for the killing and hanging of Bush?
Quote:
So you base your fear on what exactly?
Quote:

You dont see the irony in you wanting to limit peoples freedoms to protest gay bars, or clinics while trying to make an argument for freedom loving people?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Reminds me more of the liberal protest of the 60's;except much more peaceful; than those.
The difference is that in the 60's they were protesting war, and now they are protesting one of the basic tenets of our Constitution-- religious freedom.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
The difference is that in the 60's they were protesting war, and now they are protesting one of the basic tenets of our Constitution-- religious freedom.
The tea party is protesting religious freedoms? Where?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

You get all this, from giving power back to the States and choices back to individuals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies