Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 AM

89,349 posts, read 45,082,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The poor and middle class do pay taxes like the rest of society.
No. 47% of American households pay no federal income tax whatsoever.
47% of households owe no tax - and their ranks are growing - Sep. 30, 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM

9,900 posts, read 10,849,532 times
Quote:
Don't see anyway that could be don e without gutting Military spending, among other things. Not to mention that would still increase taxes on the poor and middle class.
Of course........the military would have to become more efficient and that is the point, everything else would have to be cut to live within the means and yeah even my taxes would go up, that is the way it should be.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,245,822 times
Quote:
The poor and middle class do pay taxes like the rest of society. This would DRASTICALLY increase taxes on the poor and the middle class in order to DRASTICALLY cut the taxes for the very wealthy. That would go over VERY badly.
The poor pay income taxes? Under what pretext does that take place? Last I checked they get credits and often times get a CHECK from the government, not pay the government..

By your own admission it woudl "drastically" increase taxes on the poor.. So you consider 13% out of line? Then why do you support raising taxes on the rich above this level?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,443,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldham of the sea View Post
did you not say this?????

so you in one post say tax everyone on income , no exceptions---but now you change that to no-one under 18--------is that a flip-flop????

so the irs would be all powerful, to see all transactions outside the usa-------and how do you determine what is done by whom------talk about big brother

why not----it is income after all

you seem to think that interest earned on money that was taxed when it was earned is income---then why would not the money IINCOMING from the government like welfare not be considered income????

and if a flat tax on all income, with no exceptions was to happen...many many more would work 'off the books'
Anyone over the age of 18. I suppose I should have clarified, but I didn't honestly think anyone would think of taxing 16 year olds.

The IRS already taxes outside interests that make income inside the states.

Very few would still work off the books, and if they are caught, lets fine them for tax evasion. It'd happen a lot less then, than it does now.

Taxing welfare and foodstamps is counter productive "Here, I'm going to give you a dollar, but you've got to give me 10 cents right back" makes no sense does it? Just give them the 90 cents up front, cut out the BS.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I guess you read "fair tax" and stopped?

did you not see the part about the pre-bate?

EVERYONE gets the tax rate times some predetermined amount (like the upper limit of the poverty level) at the start of each year.

I agree with you that the traditional approach to the fair tax is bad for poor people, but this change, ends that issue.
Yeah, I saw fair tax and pounced, my bad.

I don't like any version of the fair tax, none at all. Even with predefined income levels, I just don't like it.

Fair tax = national sales tax.

I think that if everyone benefits from government service, then they shouldn't be exempt from taxation. Even if the bottom 50% got taxed, the top 5%, if held to the same tax rate, would more than compensate for the lower income Americans increased burden.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldham of the sea View Post
very few work off the books????

many, many do:
------every drug dealer does
-------at least 50% of your landscapers do
-------look at all the 'illegals'

is it or is it not an income for that person

at least 40 million people get some kind of help from the Department of social services (welfare/food stamps/daycare/section8 etc)----for at the very least $100/month (most in the thousands)--------even at 1% that would be at least 40 million dollars 'per month' that the government could take in

what I am trying to say, is that it is very hard to say 'no exceptions', and still live within the rules
Do you have statistics on those numbers, or are they pure speculation?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,877,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The main reason I want a flat tax rate is so the poor stop stealing from the wealthy's hard work.
^ Quote of the day.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,245,822 times
Quote:
The main reason I want a flat tax rate is so the poor stop stealing from the wealthy's hard work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
^ Quote of the day.
It sure was.. but of course you werent being serious and I am..

Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,230,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
^ Quote of the day.
I want to be wealthy one day. I work 75+ hours/week. Every week. I am pissed off that my tax rate goes up the more I earn. 95% of the books I read for fun are related to my field of work. These are choices I have made for my life. Whether or not you agree with my lifestyle is irrelevant. I don't do anything dishonest, I don't screw anyone over, I simply work long hours and study hard to try to be the best at what I do.

Why should I be financially penalized for this?

I am sorry if this sounds arrogant (and I know it does), but I am honestly looking for an answer from you. Why should I pay a greater percentage than someone else?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,415,380 times
Quote:
I want to be wealthy one day. I work 75+ hours/week. Every week. I am pissed off that my tax rate goes up the more I earn. 95% of the books I read for fun are related to my field of work. These are choices I have made for my life. Whether or not you agree with my lifestyle is irrelevant. I don't do anything dishonest, I don't screw anyone over, I simply work long hours and study hard to try to be the best at what I do.

Why should I be financially penalized for this?

I am sorry if this sounds arrogant (and I know it does), but I am honestly looking for an answer from you. Why should I pay a greater percentage than someone else?
You need a new tax person.

Most people do not take all the deductions they can.

Start a small business.

Then you can reduce your tax with schedules.

Stop worrying about %'s, get your taxable income down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies