Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I want to be wealthy one day. I work 75+ hours/week. Every week...
I know you want to be. But, clearly, 75+ hours/week ain't working hard enough. Try 125 hours next week, that ought to get the ball rolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,215,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You need a new tax person.

Most people do not take all the deductions they can.

Start a small business.

Then you can reduce your tax with schedules.

Stop worrying about %'s, get your taxable income down.
This is good advice...I really need to do this.

I have just started reading up on how to start a LLC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I know you want to be. But, clearly, 75+ hours/week ain't working hard enough. Try 125 hours next week, that ought to get the ball rolling.
I am on the right track. I am only 24, so I have time.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldham of the sea View Post
Is this your source?

67 Jobs That Pay Under the Table | Live Safely

Look at the jobs listed, and sites no source for his claims, and putting the FDIC's name in a blog, doesn't make it anymore true than a conspiracy theory.

Credible source?

Not to mention most of the jobs he mentioned in this, are stuff kids do. Most rational people don't want 13 year olds taxed.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldham of the sea View Post
stats on what numbers???

40 million on welfare/food stamps-----its in this weeks news

that they get at least 100 per month-----self explanitory

the mathematical fact that 1% of 100 is 1, and times 40 million is 40 million----again self explanitory
Thats not the numbers, and you know it.

The ones supposedly from the FDIC.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I am on the right track. I am only 24, so I have time.
I bet you're. But if you want to become rich quickly, you can push for 125 hours/week right now. That would just get you close to being rich... the rich clearly work a lot harder than that.

Until you are rich, never claim you work hard, if you really believe that.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I bet you're. But if you want to become rich quickly, you can push for 125 hours/week right now. That would just get you close to being rich... the rich clearly work a lot harder than that.

Until you are rich, never claim you work hard, if you really believe that.
Have you read the success stories of the founder of any major startup?

Do you have any clue what you are talking about?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:

You will never be rich while making money for others.

To be you own boss, you have to be the hardest boss on yourself you can fathom.

You come in first, stay the latest.

Work all holidays and weekends.

I have not had a summer's day off in years.

I am on the rig drilling as I type this.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I think I do. I make more than three times now than I did ten years ago (about your age). And don't tell me that I work (or worked) harder than a lot of people who make a fraction of what I do (and did). Now, I am not rich by any definition, but Warren Buffett his for sure. So, allow me to quote from that success story and tell me what you think, especially the last couple of lines.

"My wealth has come from a combination of living in America, some lucky genes, and compound interest. Both my children and I won what I call the ovarian lottery. (For starters, the odds against my 1930 birth taking place in the U.S. were at least 30 to 1. My being male and white also removed huge obstacles that a majority of Americans then faced.) My luck was accentuated by my living in a market system that sometimes produces distorted results, though overall it serves our country well. I've worked in an economy that rewards someone who saves the lives of others on a battlefield with a medal, rewards a great teacher with thank-you notes from parents, but rewards those who can detect the mispricing of securities with sums reaching into the billions. In short, fate's distribution of long straws is wildly capricious."

I don't think you can put it better than Warren Buffett did above either. He also makes a GREAT point about rewards... for example the soldier who puts his life on the line for his country, ain't working hard enough and is just a lazy bum if he ends up on the streets or on welfare?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I think I do. I make more than three times now than I did ten years ago (about your age). And don't tell me that I work (or worked) harder than a lot of people who make a fraction of what I do (and did). Now, I am not rich by any definition, but Warren Buffett his for sure. So, allow me to quote from that success story and tell me what you think, especially the last couple of lines.

"My wealth has come from a combination of living in America, some lucky genes, and compound interest. Both my children and I won what I call the ovarian lottery. (For starters, the odds against my 1930 birth taking place in the U.S. were at least 30 to 1. My being male and white also removed huge obstacles that a majority of Americans then faced.) My luck was accentuated by my living in a market system that sometimes produces distorted results, though overall it serves our country well. I've worked in an economy that rewards someone who saves the lives of others on a battlefield with a medal, rewards a great teacher with thank-you notes from parents, but rewards those who can detect the mispricing of securities with sums reaching into the billions. In short, fate's distribution of long straws is wildly capricious."

I don't think you can put it better than Warren Buffett did above either. He also makes a GREAT point about rewards... for example the soldier who puts his life on the line for his country, ain't working hard enough and is just a lazy bum if he ends up on the streets or on welfare?
Obviously a soldier is working harder than any of us can fathom. The mere fact that you would use a combat soldier in such a way to win an argument is nothing short of offensive. When you decide to have a conversation instead of just trying to 'win' let me know. You should be ashamed of using our vets to win debates like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You will never be rich while making money for others.

To be you own boss, you have to be the hardest boss on yourself you can fathom.

You come in first, stay the latest.

Work all holidays and weekends.

I have not had a summer's day off in years.

I am on the rig drilling as I type this.
I learn a lot from people like you. As usual, I can't argue with what you say.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Obviously a soldier is working harder than any of us can fathom. The mere fact that you would use a combat soldier in such a way to win an argument is nothing short of offensive. When you decide to have a conversation instead of just trying to 'win' let me know. You should be ashamed of using our vets to win debates like that.
So I won! Sticking head in the sand ain't the answer. Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies