Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Would any deductions exist? Whether it be exemptions for dependents, standard deductions, itemized deductions? Or would you tax straight income, with no deductions allowed?
Yes. No deductions. Fair is fair. Flat is flat.

Keep it simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:24 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I say it isn't flat if it ain't flat.

Deductions are nothing but welfare. Got two dozen kids and five wives? Too bad.
Deductions are welfare?

Say I gross $100k;
and I pay out salaries to two at $30k each;
health coverage costs me 10k;
materials cost me $5k;
and office expenses cost me $5k;
which leaves me with $20k for myself.

Then you propose to tax me on the $100k?

Please explain to me how this is 'welfare'?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post

Keep it simple.
Same question to you.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Deductions are welfare?

Say I gross $100k;
materials cost me $5k;

I doubt if anyone will.

They just don't get, "them there write offs".....

No one seems it know what line item they object to.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Deductions are welfare?

Say I gross $100k;
materials cost me $5k;

Do you currently pay income tax on gross revenue? As for welfare, what do you think it is? Do deductions for having a child or a dozen qualify?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post

Keep it simple.
So in other words you want massive increases in taxes to the poor and middle class so you can give the rich massive tax cuts.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Do you currently pay income tax on gross revenue?
No.

I do not pay income taxes.

I do not pay income taxes on my gross nor on my net.

Just like my grandparents back before FDR lowered income taxes onto the common citizen. When my grandparents were first married only the uber-wealthy filed income taxes.

Today my income is not high enough to pay income taxes.

I did however pay income taxes from 1975 until 1983. Bu tthat was before I went to college and studied the topic.

Quote:
... As for welfare, what do you think it is? Do deductions for having a child or a dozen qualify?
You do realize that only around 30% of Federal Revenue comes from Individual income taxation, right?

Just like a century ago the common citizen does not pay to operate the Federal government.

Corporate taxes and import / export tarrifs make up the majority of Federal Revenue.

State revenue mostly comes from property taxes. However in recent years some states have came to augmenting that with sales taxes and / or income taxes.

Tax Theory 101 [should you attend college] teaches that income taxation is a method of exerting influence on the behavior of the masses. By making home mortgages tax deductible it influences people to buy homes using mortgage loans.

Under FDR the government stepped in a usurped the role of the churches in our society. Churches and charities had been feeding the homeless and poor. But coming out of the Great Depression now the government does that. Churches were made useless without a role in society.

Where does welfare money come from? well a tiny bit of it does come from individual taxation, but only because the money is mixed in the General fund. It is not reliant on individual taxation.

Dependants being tax write-offs is clearly apples/oranges when compared to public-funded projects.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
No.

I do not pay income taxes.

I do not pay income taxes on my gross nor on my net.

Just like my grandparents back before FDR lowered income taxes onto the common citizen. When my grandparents were first married only the uber-wealthy filed income taxes.

Today my income is not high enough to pay income taxes.

I did however pay income taxes from 1975 until 1983. Bu tthat was before I went to college and studied the topic.

You do realize that only around 30% of Federal Revenue comes from Individual income taxation, right?

Just like a century ago the common citizen does not pay to operate the Federal government.

Corporate taxes and import / export tarrifs make up the majority of Federal Revenue.

State revenue mostly comes from property taxes. However in recent years some states have came to augmenting that with sales taxes and / or income taxes.

Tax Theory 101 [should you attend college] teaches that income taxation is a method of exerting influence on the behavior of the masses. By making home mortgages tax deductible it influences people to buy homes using mortgage loans.

Under FDR the government stepped in a usurped the role of the churches in our society. Churches and charities had been feeding the homeless and poor. But coming out of the Great Depression now the government does that. Churches were made useless without a role in society.

Where does welfare money come from? well a tiny bit of it does come from individual taxation, but only because the money is mixed in the General fund. It is not reliant on individual taxation.

Dependants being tax write-offs is clearly apples/oranges when compared to public-funded projects.
Great post.

I read the tax code and studied from tax books while working three minimum wage jobs.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I think it was more that the churches weren't willing/able to do the job. It's not that the government stopped them, but that the churches couldn't keep up.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think it was more that the churches weren't willing/able to do the job. It's not that the government stopped them, but that the churches couldn't keep up.
It was the concern of separation of church and state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies