Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

"Poll: Do Taxpayers Really Want GM IPO Shares?"

"Give taxpayers a shot at GM’s IPO shares! That is, assuming anyone wants the shares. There has been an interesting development of late in the General Motors public offering. It revolves making shares of the IPO available to Joe Public. Effectively, this would allow Main Street America to get shares at the IPO price rather than just the institutions and wealthy investors who have relationships with their brokers. We’ve only put in $50 billion.

"If the government wants this to be run fairly, it could easily use something like the OpenIPO process from W.R. Hambrecht (http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1558521871&play=1 - broken link) (< video: "An IPO for the People?"). It would be simple to do and it would severely cut the fees that had to be paid."

Poll: Do Taxpayers Really Want GM IPO Shares? - 24/7 Wall St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I'll give you my take. I own some GM shares that are now worthless. There's an old saying:

"Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, shame on me."

Ain't gettin' fooled twice. Which is unfortunate, as a car guy and long time Chevy and Pontiac fan it pains me to be looking at Ford as the only "native" American care company that didn't screw their shareholders and the taxpayers.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM

Except, this is a new company.

I'm sorry you were still holding the old one -- the one that was hemorrhaging money every single quarter for about ten years -- all the way down the drain.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Default I want the shares without paying a third time...

First, the Administration's Auto Czar elevated the UAW VEBA claim over other equally ranked creditors, including bondholders like me. So I paid for shares that the union ends up with.

Second, the money loaned to GM and invested in their "new" stock came out of my pocket, because I pay a lot of taxes.

To pony up a third time to get the stock is beyond my tolerance. I favored Sen Corker's simple, elegant plan to get the government out of the auto business: send the shares to taxpayers.

I'm hoping everyone who admires the auto bailout loves the stock and bids it up, because supposedly I will end up with some watered-down number of shares in exchange for the bond. Go for it!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
First, the Administration's Auto Czar elevated the UAW VEBA claim over other equally ranked creditors, including bondholders like me. So I paid for shares that the union ends up with.

Second, the money loaned to GM and invested in their "new" stock came out of my pocket, because I pay a lot of taxes.

To pony up a third time to get the stock is beyond my tolerance. I favored Sen Corker's simple, elegant plan to get the government out of the auto business: send the shares to taxpayers.

I'm hoping everyone who admires the auto bailout loves the stock and bids it up, because supposedly I will end up with some watered-down number of shares in exchange for the bond. Go for it!
What do you think of the Hambrecht idea? - video above.

Jim Cramer on it: News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1560029678&play=1 - broken link)

Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'll give you my take. I own some GM shares that are now worthless. There's an old saying:

Ain't gettin' fooled twice. Which is unfortunate, as a car guy and long time Chevy and Pontiac fan it pains me to be looking at Ford as the only "native" American care company that didn't screw their shareholders and the taxpayers.
I'll agree with this and very well put I might add

What ever happens to the 'New GM' until they get some quality and customer service back we'll be watching this show again all to soon

Old 08-13-2010, 02:13 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I'll agree with this and very well put I might add

What ever happens to the 'New GM' until they get some quality and customer service back we'll be watching this show again all to soon
Honestly, I hope you're wrong. In addition to being a shareholder, I used to work for GM and hope to see them thrive, not to mention pay back the taxpayer's money.

However, they have the habit of pouring untold billions of dollars down the PC drain. First it was that foolish EV1 toy back in the early 90s, then hydrogen fuel cells, now the Volt. I'd like to see them focus on conventional powerplants and vehicles and get that right, rather than tinkering with these money pits.

I expect you're right, we'll be seeing a rerun soon enough.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:20 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
The only reason I would buy any at the IPO is if there is a reasonable probability of selling them the next day at a profit. The track record of auto-company shares as a buy and hold investment is not good. In addition, they still have the unions and I am not convinced that the quality of management is any better than it was. So, all in all .... its a pass

Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
Quote:
Honestly, I hope you're wrong. In addition to being a shareholder, I used to work for GM and hope to see them thrive, not to mention pay back the taxpayer's money.

However, they have the habit of pouring untold billions of dollars down the PC drain. First it was that foolish EV1 toy back in the early 90s, then hydrogen fuel cells, now the Volt. I'd like to see them focus on conventional powerplants and vehicles and get that right, rather than tinkering with these money pits.

I expect you're right, we'll be seeing a rerun soon enough.
I hope I'm wrong, I'm also a shareholder along with what was the demand notes

I remember in the early eighties an old timer told me when
we all saw the quality slipping that it was the beginning of the end and when the 7.7% came out in '85 it was down
hill from there.

I'd also agree on getting back to the basics

Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:

I'm with you on that..owned GM trucks forever it seems but I won't be looking at them for my next one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies