Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 03:40 PM

138 posts, read 214,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thhour View Post
either all can say it or none can. If it offends, it offends no matter who speaks it. So sure, defend your 'right of free speech' to say it, but that right extends to everyone, not just your select group. I don't know why any group would want to use it.
context! Context! Context!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2010 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal attack

Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
How many times will I have to say this? I never said it doesn't happen, just that it doesn't happen very often.
You can say it as many times as you want, but you did say it doesn't happen.

Quote:
There is no way you are discriminated against when you make up the vast majority of the country, sorry.
You may amend your statement and say that it's not what you meant, and I can accept your point, but you did say it, so someone isn't wrong to address it if they haven't seen your clarification.

Quote:
I'm a conservative, but I don't really consider myself a Republican. Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot because of stuff like this. You'll never win the minority vote with tactics like these. I know this was probably out of context, but the way some of you argue sounds as if you support white people saying n****r. And some of you seem to be attacking blacks, saying that blacks shouldn't be saying n****r either. Let the blacks say whatever they want for crying out loud. Its called freedom of speech. And before somebody else accuses me of being racist against whites, I say that whites should be able to say n****r too. But if you don't understand why you probably shouldn't say n****r, maybe you should ask for a refund from whatever college you attended.
If you know it's out of context, why base a discussion on it? Context defines the meaning of the statement, so it's skewed if taken out of context.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
CONTEXT! CONTEXT! CONTEXT!
If you aregue for context, why would you address Dr. Laura's statments without the context?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2010 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Either all can say it or none can. If it offends, it offends no matter who speaks it. So sure, defend your 'right of free speech' to say it, but that right extends to everyone, not just your select group. I don't know why any group would want to use it.
good point, right of free speech does not include rudeness and assault (non physical attacks-- threats-- unwanted attention so forth) btw civil rights in france inc being abusive to people in public verbally inc unwanted attention. the charge can result in arrest and does not have to racially motivated. have seen it happen. we have our own take here what is "civil rights". it usually is very limited to 1861 slave related stuff. attempts to hold AA accountable for bad behavior in their own community have thus far not been successful. attempts to hold wasp accountable for their treatment of AA have been most effective. wouldnt it be nice if the sword cut both ways?

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Media Matters couldnt tell the truth standing on a bible looking at God.
Apparantly, neither can Laura Schlessinberger what-ever-her-name is.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM

138 posts, read 214,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
You can say it as many times as you want, but you did say it doesn't happen.

You may amend your statement and say that it's not what you meant, and I can accept your point, but you did say it, so someone isn't wrong to address it if they haven't seen your clarification.

If you know it's out of context, why base a discussion on it? Context defines the meaning of the statement, so it's skewed if taken out of context.
I never said anything against this doctor woman. I'm just concerned with the amount of people who seem to think its okay to for white people to say n****r. And the whites who think they should be able to control black's opinions on things such as blacks saying n****r to blacks.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I never said anything against this doctor woman. I'm just concerned with the amount of people who seem to think its okay to for white people to say n****r. And the whites who think they should be able to control black's opinions on things such black saying n****r to black.
Back to the context point....They were saying that her using it in the context that she did, was not an expression of racism. I didn't see anyone advocate that people should go around freely using the word. She used it in a particular context which was the point of the discussion. You have now taken the posters' points out of context.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
I never said anything against this doctor woman. I'm just concerned with the amount of people who seem to think its okay to for white people to say n****r. And the whites who think they should be able to control black's opinions on things such as blacks saying n****r to blacks.
the problem friend is its no longer what is said, now its who said it- that matters. sort of how a black man was treated in new orleans when he said the wrong thing to the wrong people, back when i was a child, only now the shoe is on the other foot. either way that foot stinks.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:49 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
I'm just concerned with the amount of people who seem to think its okay to for white people to say n****r. And the whites who think they should be able to control black's opinions on things such as blacks saying n****r to blacks.
The irony of this post is too good. Whites have no right to control black's opinions on the n-word but blacks have every right to control what (white) people say and you say they have NO right to say n***r? Whites have no right to say a word? Has it been outlawed? Is it illegal? Are blacks the sole copyright owner of it? Proud sole owner of this word?

Jah. Don't think so.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
From the transcript:

This thread and the story behind it are epic fails.
No big surprise, since the "source" is Media Matters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies