Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:13 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,506,087 times

Advertisements

"Even if we give first priority to the destruction of terrorist networks, and even if we succeed, there are still governments that could bring us great harm. And there is a clear case that one of these governments in particular represents a virulent threat in a class by itself: Iraq. As far as I am concerned, a final reckoning with that government should be on the table."

The New York Times
Gore, Championing Bush, Calls For a 'Final Reckoning' With Iraq
February 13, 2002
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,343,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
"Even if we give first priority to the destruction of terrorist networks, and even if we succeed, there are still governments that could bring us great harm. And there is a clear case that one of these governments in particular represents a virulent threat in a class by itself: Iraq. As far as I am concerned, a final reckoning with that government should be on the table."

The New York Times
Gore, Championing Bush, Calls For a 'Final Reckoning' With Iraq
February 13, 2002
After 9/11 the Bush Administration carefully filtered intel on Iraq.

Quote:
SEPTEMBER 2001 – WHITE HOUSE CREATES OFFICE TO CIRCUMVENT INTEL AGENCIES: The Pentagon creates the Office of Special Plans "in order to find evidence of what Wolfowitz and his boss, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, believed to be true-that Saddam Hussein had close ties to Al Qaeda, and that Iraq had an enormous arsenal of chemical, biological, and possibly even nuclear weapons that threatened the region and, potentially, the United States? The rising influence of the Office of Special Plans was accompanied by a decline in the influence of the C.I.A. and the D.I.A. bringing about a crucial change of direction in the American intelligence community." The office, hand-picked by the Administration, specifically "cherry-picked intelligence that supported its pre-existing position and ignoring all the rest" while officials deliberately "bypassed the government's customary procedures for vetting intelligence." [Sources: New Yorker, 5/12/03; Atlantic Monthly, 1/04; New Yorker, 10/20/03]

Throughout 2002, the CIA, DIA, Department of Energy and United Nations all warned the Bush Administration that its selective use of intelligence was painting a weak WMD case. Those warnings were repeatedly ignored. Neglecting Intelligence, Ignoring Warnings
Gore, and others, based their opinions on the faulty intel released by Bush & Co.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,506,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
After 9/11 the Bush Administration carefully filtered intel on Iraq.

Gore, and others, based their opinions on the faulty intel released by Bush & Co.
oh come off of it

"As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."

Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (Democrat, California)
Statement on US Led Military Strike Against Iraq
December 16, 1999

-----

"I come to this debate, Mr. Speaker, as one at the end of 10 years in office on the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, where stopping the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction was one of my top priorities. I applaud the President on focusing on this issue and on taking the lead to disarm Saddam Hussein. ... Others have talked about this threat that is posed by Saddam Hussein. Yes, he has chemical weapons, he has biological weapons, he is trying to get nuclear weapons."

Addressing the US House of Representatives
October 10, 2002
Congressional Record, p. H7777
----------

"Saddam Hussein certainly has chemical and biological weapons. There's no question about that."

During an interview on "Meet The Press"
November 17, 2002

so are you saying that nacy pelosi who was on the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, got her info from bush

please

Congressman Gephardt links Saddam with the threat of terrorists nuking US cities:

BOB SCHIEFFER, Chief Washington Correspondent: And with us now is the Democratic presidential candidate Dick Gephardt. Congressman, you supported taking military action in Iraq. Do you think now it was the right thing to do?

REP. RICHARD GEPHARDT, D-MO, Democratic Presidential Candidate: I do. I base my determination on what I heard from the CIA. I went out there a couple of times and talked to everybody, including George Tenet. I talked to people in the Clinton administration.

SCHIEFFER: Well, let me just ask you, do you feel, Congressman, that you were misled?

GEPHARDT: I don't. I asked very direct questions of the top people in the CIA and people who'd served in the Clinton administration. And they said they believed that Saddam Hussein either had weapons or had the components of weapons or the ability to quickly make weapons of mass destruction.
What we're worried about is an A-bomb in a Ryder truck in New York, in Washington and St. Louis. It cannot happen. We have to prevent it from happening. And it was on that basis that I voted to do this.

Congressman Richard Gephardt (Democrat, Montana)
Interviewed on CBS News "Face the Nation"
November 2, 2003

Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 AM

59,189 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Senator John Kerry's quote, in context:
Sen. Kerry and others gave Bush the authority to make a decision on the best way to handle Hussein's potential threat to the US. By the time of Kerry's remarks (October 2002), Bush & Co. had most Americans firmly believing that Hussein was a contributing factor in the 9/11 attacks, and they shamelessly exploited the patriotic fervor that was still sweeping the U.S. Also, by Oct. 2002, Bush & Co. had ignored - either by chance or by design - intel indicating that Hussein's WMDs were NOT an imminent threat to this country.

Bottom line, Congress voted to give the POTUS the authority to do what was best for this country based on all the intelligence available and the combined wisdom of those involved in the decision making process. Bush & Co. didn't bother with either intelligence or wisdom - war with Iraq was what they wanted and it is what subsequently happened.
Wrong.
As a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Kerry had access to ALL intellegence info. THAT is what he was basing his vote on.

Wrong: SEC. 3. AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES.

(a) Authorization.--The President is authorized to use the Armed
Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and
appropriate in order to--
(1) defend the national security of the United States
against the continuing threat posed by Iraq; and
(2) enforce all relevant United Nations Security Council
resolutions regarding Iraq.

Or, are you saying the Senator voted on something he had not read?

Have you actually ever read the resolution?

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-10...107publ243.htm

Old 08-15-2010, 10:34 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,343,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Wrong.
As a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Kerry had access to ALL intellegence info. THAT is what he was basing his vote on.

Wrong: SEC. 3. AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES.

(a) Authorization.--The President is authorized to use the Armed
Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and
appropriate in order to--
(1) defend the national security of the United States
against the continuing threat posed by Iraq; and
(2) enforce all relevant United Nations Security Council
resolutions regarding Iraq.

Or, are you saying the Senator voted on something he had not read?

Have you actually ever read the resolution?

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-10...107publ243.htm
Again, Kerry's words:

Quote:
When I vote to give the POTUS the authority to use force, if necessary, to disarm Saddam Hussein, it is because I believe that a deadly arsenal of mass destruction in his hands is a threat, and a grave threat, to our security and that of our allies in the Persian Gulf region. I will vote yes because I believe it is the best way to hold Saddam Hussein accountable. And the administration, I believe, is now committed to a recognition that war must be the last option to address this threat, not the first, and that we must act in concert with allies around the globe to make the world's case against Saddam Hussein.

In giving the President this authority, I expect him to fulfill the commitments he has made to the American people in recent days - to work with the United Nations Security Council to adopt a new resolution setting out tough and immediate insepection requirements, and to act with our allies at oour side if we have to disarm Saddam Hussein by force. If he fails to do so, I will be among the first to speak out.
And, again, I contend (and facts support) that Bush & Co. ignored intel that didn't support their agenda. They encouraged their fellow Americans to believe that Hussein was involved in the 9/11 attacks (he was not). They exploited the fear factor about WMDs that they knew did not exist. They persisted in the dissemination of misinformation until they could no longer get away with it. They lied.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Default Say what you want about GWB, but THIS is why he should get much respect

As Texas governor, Bush's public persona was MUCH different than what we all saw of him as president. Heck, I voted for him in 2000 because he'd actually been doing some good things in Texas and I thought he'd continue that march in DC. Unfortunately, he was under the influence of some particularly evil, narrow-minded handlers while in the White House.

I'm not surprised that he'd do something positive like greeting the troops now that he's removed from the neocon cabal in Washington.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:04 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,536,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
President Bush surprises the troops | Facebook

Hot Air » Photos: Bush surprises returning troops at Dallas airport

Im sorry, but you cant fake this. You cant fake George W. Bush's view and respect for our military. With Barry, it has the feel of a publicity stunt for photo ops. You dont get that realness feeling to it.

While I disagree with some of Bush's ideology and actions, he earned a lot of respect from me for his love for the military servicemen.

God bless George W. Bush and I have to give it to him for letting Barry do his thing and not getting involved. A president has enough fire coming from all directions usually that they dont need an ex-prez to chime in. Though Barry has only recently really started to get much heat from the media but thats a different story.

George and his wife have been very classy. I think they are wrong on some things politically, but they are classy.
Yeah he respected them so much he used them like a king would to win daddy's war and kill daddy's enemy saddam Husein. Yeah I'm sure those dead soldiers really love Ole George.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:06 AM

59,189 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As Texas governor, Bush's public persona was MUCH different than what we all saw of him as president. Heck, I voted for him in 2000 because he'd actually been doing some good things in Texas and I thought he'd continue that march in DC. Unfortunately, he was under the influence of some particularly evil, narrow-minded handlers while in the White House.

I'm not surprised that he'd do something positive like greeting the troops now that he's removed from the neocon cabal in Washington.
Actually he visited the troops and went to Walter Reed many times while President but, he purposefully did not let the press know because he did not want it to a photo op. He met one on one many times with families of fallen servicemen.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,339,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
President Bush surprises the troops | Facebook

Hot Air » Photos: Bush surprises returning troops at Dallas airport

Im sorry, but you cant fake this. You cant fake George W. Bush's view and respect for our military. With Barry, it has the feel of a publicity stunt for photo ops. You dont get that realness feeling to it.

While I disagree with some of Bush's ideology and actions, he earned a lot of respect from me for his love for the military servicemen.

God bless George W. Bush and I have to give it to him for letting Barry do his thing and not getting involved. A president has enough fire coming from all directions usually that they dont need an ex-prez to chime in. Though Barry has only recently really started to get much heat from the media but thats a different story.

George and his wife have been very classy. I think they are wrong on some things politically, but they are classy.
We won't know about Obama until after he leaves office (hopefully soon). He could very well do the same thing.

Bush was classy in this; two thumbs up! I don't see how his critics could paint this as a wrong or disingenuous thing . Unless it's purely a product of continuing demonization of him.

It's time to crush the liberal and conservative demagogues.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Thumbs down One doesn't counteract the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Actually he visited the troops and went to Walter Reed many times while President but, he purposefully did not let the press know because he did not want it to a photo op. He met one on one many times with families of fallen servicemen.

And he very publicly ran a campaign of disinformation and fear-mongering to manufacture support for the unnecessary war that put those very same troops in harm's way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies