Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:15 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,521,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A little confused are ya? Just WHO do you think made the final go/no go decision after Congress approved funding? What part of Commander in Chief are you having difficulty with?
Senator Barack Obama voted for funding the Iraq war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,854,200 times
You can not like Bush for many things but this is one of those things that you've got to give him props for. Along with his surprise visits to Iraq that no one even knew about till he was out of office.

“For the first time in my life, I was star struck,” McAfee said. “He obviously still loves the military.”<< That says it all right there.

That was very classy GW. You didnt have to go and you did.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:19 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,854,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
He has the time to spare and it was in his neck of the woods. It was nice of him, really, but I don't know how anyone can compare his actions with that of a sitting POTUS though.
He did things like this while president just not in the public. I remember watching one of those I guess discovery shows about Air Force 1 and such and Bush was known to make secret trips to Iraq to visit the troops. So its not like he just did stuff like this because he has more free time now.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Im sorry, but you cant fake this. You cant fake George W. Bush's view and respect for our military. With Barry, it has the feel of a publicity stunt for photo ops. You dont get that realness feeling to it.
I don't know. I always had the feeling Bush did it only for the PR.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't know. I always had the feeling Bush did it only for the PR.
See the previous posts..he made many trips that the public did not know about..no PR there.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Senator Barack Obama voted for funding the Iraq war.
He voted against a pork-laden bill that funded what you could call "the war," and voted for the streamlined version that funded the troops.

Look it up

Old 08-13-2010, 05:32 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,347,974 times
Bush should be on his knees begging forgiveness!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:32 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,578,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He did things like this while president just not in the public. I remember watching one of those I guess discovery shows about Air Force 1 and such and Bush was known to make secret trips to Iraq to visit the troops. So its not like he just did stuff like this because he has more free time now.
He made a few secret trips because if they were know, I am sure the enemy would have tried to shoot AF1 down. Doesn't make up for putting our soldiers in harms way in the first place.

And as for congress approving the war, Bush fooled almost everyone. Lets not forget his words of "Your either with us or your with the terrorists". With most of the country fooled, going against it was like political suicide so many withheld their common sense for politics.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,006,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
President Bush surprises the troops | Facebook

Hot Air » Photos: Bush surprises returning troops at Dallas airport

Im sorry, but you cant fake this. You cant fake George W. Bush's view and respect for our military. With Barry, it has the feel of a publicity stunt for photo ops. You dont get that realness feeling to it.

While I disagree with some of Bush's ideology and actions, he earned a lot of respect from me for his love for the military servicemen.

God bless George W. Bush and I have to give it to him for letting Barry do his thing and not getting involved. A president has enough fire coming from all directions usually that they dont need an ex-prez to chime in. Though Barry has only recently really started to get much heat from the media but thats a different story.

George and his wife have been very classy. I think they are wrong on some things politically, but they are classy.
He loved the GI's so much that he instituted "Stop Loss", and the suicides soared.

Then he tried to cut their combat pay.

Classy little dictator.

If that's what you call, 'class'.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
He made a few secret trips because if they were know, I am sure the enemy would have tried to shoot AF1 down. Doesn't make up for putting our soldiers in harms way in the first place.

And as for congress approving the war, Bush fooled almost everyone. Lets not forget his words of "Your either with us or your with the terrorists". With most of the country fooled, going against it was like political suicide so many withheld their common sense for politics.
Isn't that Pelosi's words about Americans today that disagree with Obama's agenda ? I think she used "domestic" though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies