Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times

Advertisements

... and ironically enough, I'd wager 95% of you all still shop at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Aren't the terms of these bid contracts negotiable between the attorney for each? I would think that to provide everthing but that which would have given out confidential employee information could have been won through negotiation.

Best way to tame a bull is not to walk right up to him in a threatening manner but to come in from the side and scratch his belly with a stick while you lead him around by the nose. Pretty soon that bull trusts you and keeps coming back when you call. Corporations are funny animals but mostly animals are all the same.
If you are a small company trying to make a contract negotiation with a huge company ... no. They would not accept that. If you already have a relationship with a company, that's one thing. I tried multiple times to negotiate certain terms with large companies, and was rarely successful. I say *I*, but I mean I talked to the salesperson and our company owner about the terms, and they discussed negotiations with the other company.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
that would be stupid, the safeway here is cheaper and carries locally grown produce that is not sprayed with toxic chemicals. compare prices and you would be suprised. Walmart is a con game.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
I am proud to say that I fall in that 5% that refuse to step foot in a Walmart.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:

be careful what you wager, chances are you could lose......

Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
be careful what you wager, chances are you could lose......
But the odds are heavily in favor if him being correct.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the odds are heavily in favor if him being correct.

Perhaps, but I don't think as many people are gracing the doors of wm as they once did. For some reason, many people think that if you have a breath in you in this country, you must shop at wm and it just isn't so.

We haven't gone into that cesspool in years and would do without before we ever would again.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Interesting thread indeed. I have full sympathy for the original poster. It seems like Wal-Mart should advise potential bidders of these rather draconian requirements beforehand.

As for Wal-Mart shopping: I try to deal with smaller stores if possible.

If you are old enough you will recall that years ago the big thing with Wal-Mart was that everything in the store was made in the USA. Indeed, Sam Walton's autobiography was entitled "Made in the USA". Way back when Wal-Mart advertised on Paul Harvey, and Paul always stressed that everything in the store was American made.

Alas, Sam died, and his wife and children cared nothing about his ideals and soon Wal-Mart had goods made from other countries (they argued that they could no longer stock electronics, like TVs, and so had to start buying oversea products).

Original Poster: I hope you find more work soon.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
You can thank our fantastic legal system for your troubles. When you get sued at the clip WalMart does, you've got to do everything you can to cover your tail.
Bingo

Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
It's not about the paperwork. It's about the invasion of privacy. not just for his business but for each and every person on his payroll. They are asking for extensive information that has no bearing on the work at hand for them at all.
Wal-Mart was forced by the government in its settlement to enforce much stricter controls of its contractors.

Wal-Mart Settles Illegal Immigrant Case for $11M - Business And Money | Business News | Financial News - FOXNews.com

From the article:

"This case breaks new ground not only because this is a record dollar amount for a civil immigration settlement, but because this settlement requires Wal-Mart to create an internal program to ensure future compliance with immigration laws by Wal-Mart contractors and by Wal-Mart itself," said Michael J. Garcia, assistant secretary for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (search).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies