Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Well if that don't beat all? Seems like the DoD is desperate to restore morale.

Chris Rodda: U.S. Soldiers Punished for Not Attending Christian Concert
I don't know why they were punished when they were never given a direct order to attend the concert to begin with. I guess the military has changed a lot since I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
"owned"?

They had a choice. They could either be a team player and attend a cheery, happy, lukewarm "Christian" concert and be team players....or go sit in the barracks. I don't see the issue.
They were not given an order to attend the concert. The military does not work on "suggestions". It works on orders. If you are not given an order to do something and you don't do it because you were not ordered to do so, the military may not impose any punishment upon you whether court martial or non judicial punishment (known as an Article 15). At least that was how things were when I was in there. Maybe it has a more circus atmosphere now.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you are not a Christian, hearing nonstop songs about how you are somehow incorrect, a sinner, not saved, yadda yadda is far from "cheery" or "happy". I don't suppose you have EVER been FORCED to sit through a Muslim, Jewish, or Hindu service. I have been punished for walking out of situations that turn evangelical Christian. G-d forbid our SOLDIERS show backbone in standing up for what they believe in.

These are people who are sacrificing so much for us. We owe them the common courtesy of respect. There were Muslims and Jews who were punished for not being Christian and refusing to bow down to the brainwashing. Some of the most offended people there, as per the article, were Catholics.

Let freedom ring.
There are some Christian bands I would see (Third Day, Casting Crowns, Kirk Franklin, The Winans ect) but none of that fundie non sense. Hell no!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Ya, Listent it to hours might be bad for your soul.

I hear GEDs are cheap these days..
Seriously? That was clearly a typo and not one of the usual massacre of the English language generally made by a poster raging against "the Muslim plague" or "libs" or, most hilariously, failing education standards.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
"owned"?

They had a choice. They could either be a team player and attend a cheery, happy, lukewarm "Christian" concert and be team players....or go sit in the barracks. I don't see the issue.
No, it's forcing religion on them.

From the article:
"On Thursday 13th at 1730 we were informed that instead of being dismissed for the day, the entire company (about 250 soldiers) would march as a whole to the event. Not only that, but to make sure that everyone is present we were prohibited from going back to the barracks (to eliminate the off chance that some might "hide" in their rooms and not come back down).

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-20-2010 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: quoted post removed

Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
lol...yah....you're just much too clever for me.
Yoohoo...Calvinist? You there? Just because you got owned, doesn't mean you can't come back and dig yourself deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies