Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call "RICH"? earning more than;
$50,000 7 5.79%
$85,000 1 0.83%
$125,000 13 10.74%
$200,000 21 17.36%
$500,000 79 65.29%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,365,064 times

Advertisements

Why do some folks insist people are “rich” because they earn more than others? I have never been able to understand why it’s a good thing to vilify a successful financial condition. Isn’t this,” a successful financial condition” what we strive for? It seems a portion of Americans prefer if everyone earned less than what they are worth (misery loves company.) Maybe they are simply angry that they aren’t financially successful and feel the need to justify their condition by accusing these “rich” people of greed. Sure, some “rich” folks are selfish; some would rather **** on me than share any money, but whose fault is that? Why would I be angry if my neighbor landed a good job that pays twice what I make?
Quote:
Nothing can fill the void of the feeling of poverty because it is not based on lack; it is the shadow cast by habitual comparison and envy.
-Willard Beecher
“Rich”- I strive to be this! Who wouldn’t? I want to have more money than I can spend, I want to go to sleep with the thought that the bills in my beautiful home are paid, I can plan a nice vacation, I can have that nice car, I can send my children to the best schools, I can relax when I’m ready to retire as early as I can. While moving to reach this “rich” condition I hope everyone can attain it! If my neighbor reaches it first and starts to enjoy this comfortable state of financial bliss I won’t curse him nor will I wish ill towards him but I’ll try harder to be like him.
I’ve had an empty refrigerator before, I’ve eaten spam or potted meat sandwiches (I’ve grown to like them), I’ve had to walk to work because I had no car (while married w/ one child) and not once did I wish “rich” people would become poor or loose their riches. I only tried harder to emulate their ways.

So before you say tax the rich or wish their lives become as difficult as yours, define rich and ask yourself, “what did they do to me?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:27 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,046,291 times
It is all relative. I live comfortably in a fairly rural area on $35,000-ish, and at least in my area making over $50,000 makes you well off, anything above $85,000 and you might as well be a millionaire.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,539,227 times
To me being "rich" is really not about how much money one makes but it is about how much money one has saved. I know a few friends who make well above $200,000 a year and are barely making it because their lifestyles are so out of wack that they can't afford themselves.

To me, someone who makes 80,000 a year and has little debt is much better off than someone who makes 200,000 and is drowning in debt.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,446,177 times
Are you earning it, or did your parents earn it and you let someone manage your money so you can live off of someone elses work, while staying comfortably away from the employees and people you screw beneath you?

I am in favor of a 90% estate tax, on everyone in this country. Family heirlooms would be an exception.

However, if you invest what your parents hand down to you, like continuing a business, or investing it to grow a business, then that money you could keep.

It'd be an excellent way to make sure the money is getting back in the system, while making sure you aren't living off of mommy and daddy forever.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,286,146 times
Almost every single U.S. citizen when compared to the standard of living and income of most of the worlds people. Anyone here who ******* about not having a big enough TV, a fancy enough car, a nice laptop etc. We take so much for granted here in the U.S. i am poor, at least by the standards of the poll, but I am far richer and far more comfortable at night than a vast majority of the rest of the worlds population.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,595,310 times
Default Who are the "RICH"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Why do some folks insist people are “rich” because they earn more than others?

Because the "rich" have more resources. Just a hunch.

Quote:
I have never been able to understand why it’s a good thing to vilify a successful financial condition.

You're somehow confused. Having the top few percent of wealthy Americans pay the same tax rates they did under Ronald Reagan is hardly a case of villifying anyone.

Quote:
Isn’t this,” a successful financial condition” what we strive for? It seems a portion of Americans prefer if everyone earned less than what they are worth (misery loves company.) Maybe they are simply angry that they aren’t financially successful and feel the need to justify their condition by accusing these “rich” people of greed. Sure, some “rich” folks are selfish; some would rather **** on me than share any money, but whose fault is that? Why would I be angry if my neighbor landed a good job that pays twice what I make?

“Rich”- I strive to be this! Who wouldn’t? I want to have more money than I can spend, I want to go to sleep with the thought that the bills in my beautiful home are paid, I can plan a nice vacation, I can have that nice car, I can send my children to the best schools, I can relax when I’m ready to retire as early as I can. While moving to reach this “rich” condition I hope everyone can attain it! If my neighbor reaches it first and starts to enjoy this comfortable state of financial bliss I won’t curse him nor will I wish ill towards him but I’ll try harder to be like him.
I’ve had an empty refrigerator before, I’ve eaten spam or potted meat sandwiches (I’ve grown to like them), I’ve had to walk to work because I had no car (while married w/ one child) and not once did I wish “rich” people would become poor or loose their riches. I only tried harder to emulate their ways.

So before you say tax the rich or wish their lives become as difficult as yours, define rich and ask yourself, “what did they do to me?”
I think that after millionaires pay their taxes, they're still millionaires. I'd like to hear a lot less whining from them.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 AM

45,304 posts, read 26,570,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Are you earning it, or did your parents earn it and you let someone manage your money so you can live off of someone elses work, while staying comfortably away from the employees and people you screw beneath you?

I am in favor of a 90% estate tax, on everyone in this country. Family heirlooms would be an exception.

However, if you invest what your parents hand down to you, like continuing a business, or investing it to grow a business, then that money you could keep.

It'd be an excellent way to make sure the money is getting back in the system, while making sure you aren't living off of mommy and daddy forever.
Holy class envy batman!

And your idea of "getting it back into the system" means the government stealing it through taxation ...yikes.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:03 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,611,906 times
Quote:
Of course. There are other people that need to live off of your mommy and daddy and they should be allowed to....

Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,539,227 times
Quote:
I am in favor of a 90% estate tax, on everyone in this country.. . .

Why would anyone care how someone else got their money? Sounds a lot like the dreaded class envy!

Seriously, that is the lamest thing I have ever heard!

"To make sure the money is getting back in the system" You can't be serious!

If families want to pass money on to their children that is THEIR business and their business alone and the gov't need not worry about it.

An excellent way to make sure the money is getting back in the system. REALLY!
But very gracious of you to make the 'famly heirloom exception' OMG!!!

This has got to be the most outrageous post I have read in my time on the City Data Forum!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,446,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Why would anyone care how someone else got their money? Sounds a lot like the dreaded class envy!

Seriously, that is the lamest thing I have ever heard!

"To make sure the money is getting back in the system" You can't be serious!

If families want to pass money on to their children that is THEIR business and their business alone and the gov't need not worry about it.

An excellent way to make sure the money is getting back in the system. REALLY!
But very gracious of you to make the 'famly heirloom exception' OMG!!!

This has got to be the most outrageous post I have read in my time on the City Data Forum!!!!!!
LMAO.

You don't study history to much do you?

What lead to the Great Depression? Money pool to the richest Americans.

Roosevelts chairman of the federal reserve put it this way.

Think of the economy as a poker game. When everyone has chips, the game goes on fine. Sooner or later, one guy gets more and more chips, until he has them all. Thats when the game ends.

This is what happened with the economy then, and part of what I believe was the problem now. Money was concentrated in to few a hands, which gave birth to the term "to big to fail"

Corporations got to big, had to much money, which screwed up the system by not allowing enough money in it, for credit to flow properly.

So its not class warfare. I don't want my son to live on my earnings, to better himself, I want him to work to do it himself. Many of Americas greatest industrialists and inventors felt the same way. Thats why people like Warren Buffett are going to give away most of their money when they die. They gave their children the best education, and all of the tools to be successes themselves, without relying on their parents vast fortunes.

I'm not saying people who haven't earned their money don't deserve it. And as I said, if you invest the money that your parents give you in the economy, then you can keep it all. That still puts the money back into the system for everyone to use, which increases credit flow, which makes the economy move. Most likely making them richer, because they can earn more money on top of what they have. When their kids get older, they can invest all of that money, and the new that their parents made.

What you can't use, is then taxed, and put back into the system.

Class warfare would be "no one over 250,000 dollars should be taxed" or the 50% of Americans who now don't pay an income tax.

I favor a flat tax, with a 90% estate tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies