Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times

Advertisements

The knives are out for the veep.

White House and Capitol Hill staffers contributed to The Washington Post's hatchet job on Dick Cheney and Sally Quinn today wrote a thinly-veiled opinion piece that suggests a GOP plan to have Cheney step down this summer for alleged health reasons (he's due to have his pacemaker replaced next month) and to replace him with Fred Thompson. Cheney's popularity is remarkably bad even without the Post piece, and the article does everything but hand Congress a portfolio of charges to impeach the Vice President.

It is known that the GOP is unhappy with their election chances and would love to have an electable vice president in place to help boost the GOP image in the minds of voters come next November. Cheney is increasingly seen as a liability and occupier of an office that would best be served by a high-profile GOP member who could use the office to springboard into the election. Thompson would give the Republicans a popular and prominent face in a discredited administration. With Thompson's popularity combined with GOP-sponsored Congressional measures to patch-up the Iraq situation in Thompson's name, the GOP believes it can turn around the abysmal election position they're dreading to face.

When articles like The Cheney Vice Presidency are written with so many cooperative, high-level, internal sources, it's usually because they have the tacit approval of their bosses. Something this damaging doesn't occur by accident and not in The Washington Post, which is used by those inside the Beltway as a modern Greek chorus; when you lose the Mandate of Heaven, you'll read about it in the Post before you know yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 08:13 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Might depend on how certain the Republicans were that Cheney would not face criminal indictments upon leaving office. They clearly would not want the day-after-day drumbeat of legal proceedings dragging on in the media through Election Day...which they most assuredly would...

Old 06-26-2007, 08:39 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,129 times
I don't know why Bush picked this guy in the first place. I'd laugh if he announced he was running for president.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:44 PM

308 posts, read 711,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I don't know why Bush picked this guy in the first place. I'd laugh if he announced he was running for president.

Dick Cheney was the worst choice for a Vice President ever made. Way to devisive and his links to Halliburton should have disqualified him. But moron Bush picked him!

Even if Cheney put his halliburton stock in a blind trust and donates it to charity, it still looks bad.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:15 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
The knives are out for the veep.

White House and Capitol Hill staffers contributed to The Washington Post's hatchet job on Dick Cheney and Sally Quinn today wrote a thinly-veiled opinion piece that suggests a GOP plan to have Cheney step down this summer for alleged health reasons (he's due to have his pacemaker replaced next month) and to replace him with Fred Thompson. Cheney's popularity is remarkably bad even without the Post piece, and the article does everything but hand Congress a portfolio of charges to impeach the Vice President.

It is known that the GOP is unhappy with their election chances and would love to have an electable vice president in place to help boost the GOP image in the minds of voters come next November. Cheney is increasingly seen as a liability and occupier of an office that would best be served by a high-profile GOP member who could use the office to springboard into the election. Thompson would give the Republicans a popular and prominent face in a discredited administration. With Thompson's popularity combined with GOP-sponsored Congressional measures to patch-up the Iraq situation in Thompson's name, the GOP believes it can turn around the abysmal election position they're dreading to face.

When articles like The Cheney Vice Presidency are written with so many cooperative, high-level, internal sources, it's usually because they have the tacit approval of their bosses. Something this damaging doesn't occur by accident and not in The Washington Post, which is used by those inside the Beltway as a modern Greek chorus; when you lose the Mandate of Heaven, you'll read about it in the Post before you know yourself.
Oh my gosh, this is so exciting. Nonetheless, I must have guarded optimism as the Admin as managed to REALLY screw up out country and things don't look good.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Well, putting in a fellow like Fred Thompson or Mitt Romney may give them a leg up on the competition, and all Cheney would be avoiding is the lame duck period of the administration.

Could be a good party move if they can select the guy most likely to be the 2008 candidate.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I don't know why Bush picked this guy in the first place...
During the transition, Bush placed Cheney in charge of producing a list of candidates for VP. Seriously. I'm not making this up, and I'm not trying to be funny. Cheney is way too scary to ever joke about.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
During the transition, Bush placed Cheney in charge of producing a list of candidates for VP. Seriously. I'm not making this up, and I'm not trying to be funny. Cheney is way too scary to ever joke about.

You are right about Cheney being in charge of Bush's Vice Presidential Candidate search, but I don't know about him "picking himself".

It is ironic that dummy Bush ended up picking that prick.

Quote:
Ironically, Cheney was the man Bush had tapped to lead his vice presidential search efforts. After three months of deliberations and "vetting" of potential candidates, Bush has chosen a trusted family adviser with whom he has already forged a close working relationship.

"I believe you are looking at the next vice president of the United States," Bush said Tuesday afternoon, as he and Cheney appeared side by side with their wives. "The person most qualified to be the vice president has been working by my side," Bush added of Cheney.
Bush, Cheney officially debut the full 2000 Republican presidential ticket - July 25, 2000 (http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/07/25/bush.vp/index.html - broken link)

Old 06-26-2007, 11:05 PM

Here is a better article about Dick Cheney being in charge of Bush's search for Vice President.

Bush picks Cheney for VP, Republican sources say - July 24, 2000 (http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/07/24/bush.vp/index.html - broken link)

Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 AM

467 posts, read 324,925 times
Didn't he end up telling Bush that he had considered everyone on the list and decided that HE was the best choice?

Well, I think a pundit put it very well earlier today that when Bush was Governor of Texas he really didn't have a huge role in governing. The way their system is set up - the LT Gov actually does the majority of the heavy lifting. I think Bush knew he needed a "brain" to guide him. If I weren't so angry with how he's handled nearly every crisis presented to him (Katrina, homeland insecurity, iraq, afganistan (because of iraq), etc...) I'd feel bad for him. I'm too angry though.

I'm glad the Dems aren't pushing for impeachment of these fools. That can happen after they are gone. We have too many important issues to deal with in the meantime and the administration is so hamstrung at this point that they don't really pose any more of a threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies