Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:13 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,906,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Is that a joke? Dr Strangelove refuses to account for anything to the American peole and is now saying that he isn't even part of the Executive Branch.

The man has contempt for the American people, the Constitution and and justice in general.
Nope, not a joke. Look at the terminology used. Much of it is negative rather than neutral. I'm not saying the article is irresponsible or inaccurate. If it was, I wouldn't have posted it, however I will call it what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 09:14 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,265,432 times
I believe if Cheney resigns, the Speaker of the House is the next in line. I've heard talk of Fred Thompson replacing Cheney, but as the VP is an elective office this can't be possible.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:19 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,250,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If Cheney resigns, who would run the country?

At this point in the administration, the country pretty much runs itself. Once you get to the final 18 months of a two term president, almost all of the political effort goes into posturing yourself for the next election cycle.

Momentum really runs the country for this period.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I believe if Cheney resigns, the Speaker of the House is the next in line. I've heard talk of Fred Thompson replacing Cheney, but as the VP is an elective office this can't be possible.
Sorry tigerlily, that's not true.

The Constitution states that if Cheney resigns then anyone can be appointed by the President but must be confirmed by both houses of Congress. The Speaker of the House only becomes President on the death or incapacity of the President and Vice President if the President has not had the chance to appoint another before the death or incapacity of the President.

This situation is what happened when Ford was appointed to the Vice Presidency:
Quote:
AMENDMENT XXV Passed by Congress July 6, 1965. Ratified February 10, 1967.
Note: Article II, section 1, of the Constitution was affected by the 25th amendment.

Section 1.
In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.

Section 2.
Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:34 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,553,242 times
FindLaw Constitutional Law Center: U.S. Constitution: Twenty-Fifth Amendment

It requires approval of both house of congress. Also, I don't know why ANYone who wants to be Prez in 08 would align themselves with the current administration.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:14 AM

467 posts, read 325,882 times
So, I'm wondering if Bush names a viable 08 candidate for Cheney's post - would/could/should the Dems do everything they can to block the nomination or drag it out? We only have 18 months to go...

I know that many of them like Joe Biden won't stand in the way of a Pres nom becase they feel the Pres should be able to pick his own people (much like the positions they took for Gonzalez, Alito, Roberts. I'm just wondering if this is a concern for Bush in anticipating this move.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
I expect Dubya would try to drag Rumsfeld back. Or the guy that used to run FEMA during Katrina. I imagine most Republicans would just refuse. It would be a dead end job in a dying administration.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,265,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Sorry tigerlily, that's not true.

The Constitution states that if Cheney resigns then anyone can be appointed by the President but must be confirmed by both houses of Congress. The Speaker of the House only becomes President on the death or incapacity of the President and Vice President if the President has not had the chance to appoint another before the death or incapacity of the President.

This situation is what happened when Ford was appointed to the Vice Presidency:
I stand corrected. So that's why Fred Thompson's name is being bandied about. As VP, he would have a better shot at the presidency in '08.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:50 PM

In fairness, Thompson's name was brought-up before this, but yes, it's one of the reasons the GOP is pushing all the positive press on Thompson. Many Reaganites see Thompson as a man in the same mould with the same telegenic charisma and impeccable background. Given the neocon's failure in Bush, the Reaganites are now pressing their advantage in the GOP, hoping to go back to the formula that worked before.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 PM

308 posts, read 712,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Supposedly the President would. It's unusual these days, but I've heard it happens. Unless, of course, the President is shot. In which case Alexander Haig is unearthed and he takes over.

That made me laugh out loud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies