Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 AM

38,014 posts, read 22,193,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Almost as bad as a mother of a pregnant teenage preaching about abstinence and family values.
So, if someone found themselves addicted to drugs or alcohol, they are without honor, even if they go sober or straight?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Being an alcoholic is not a mistake. It's a disease.
actually it is a personality disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
On the contrary. If the person is not longer a drug or alcohols addict
anyone that was addicted to alcohol or drugs, and has gotten clean and sober has not recovered, they are a recovering addict since they can never go back to drinking or taking drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm no Glenn Beck fan, hell, I'm not even a Christian.

But I think that the operative word here is "recovering." . As any recovering addict will tell you, you do not recover from addiction. You are an addict for life.

My father was sober in Alcoholics Anonymous for 51 years. Fifty-one years of recovery.

He was the most honorable man I have ever known.

Personally, I find it more hypocritical and dishonorable that anyone would decide that a recovering addict/alcoholic has no honor simply based upon the fact that they have admitted to being in recovery.

Recovery takes strength of character, patience, and above all, courage.

In my opinion, these are all honorable traits, much more so than taking six vacations in one year, playing golf, and pandering to foreign entities while unemployment spirals to heretofore unprecedented levels and the American people watch their hope for "change" turn into the same ol', same ol', deceptive political song and dance.
well said

Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Drink too much in the WH? Please provide a link.

What was low about that? Those are the facts. Everyone has walked on eggshells around the issue of Bristol's pregnancy; many of us moms feel "there but for the grace of God go I"; however we don't then go out and preach absitnence only.
well I agree with part of what you are saying: Yes, most of us can say "by the grace of God" and anyone thinks this isn't their case is not thinking straight, but I still think, she has a right to beleive in abstinance only.

Nita

Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
And Bush is an acoholic... your point?
But he no longer drinks, that is the issue. Plus the decussion is based on whether a peson can have an addiction and still be honorable. There are a few like you, that seem to think this isn't the case.

We can check as far back as we would like and find many personalities and politicians with drug and drinking problems. So drop the crap about Bush..

Nita

Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well I agree with part of what you are saying: Yes, most of us can say "by the grace of God" and anyone thinks this isn't their case is not thinking straight, but I still think, she has a right to beleive in abstinance only.

Nita
Sarah didn't practice that herself, and whatever she taught her daughters, one of them got pregnant before marriage. You'd think what she'd take from that is that "abstinence only" is not a good policy.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,760,567 times
Quote:
Sarah didn't practice that herself, and whatever she taught her daughters, one of them got pregnant before marriage. You'd think what she'd take from that is that "abstinence only" is not a good policy.
Sex happens. What I can't get passed is liberals how have the patent on sexual activity. Ok if they do it, not ok if the conservatives do it. I and I agree that I also get tired of the moral majority cheating on their spouses and then telling the rest of us to behave. However, I would not be telling teenagers to just go nuts and have all the unprotected sex they want if one of my daughters had been in Bristols situation. I do not see the hypocrisy that you try to pin on Sarah Palin. She handled her situation like a trooper and without shame. She clearly loves her family and loves her grandchild.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,760,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But he no longer drinks, that is the issue. Plus the decussion is based on whether a peson can have an addiction and still be honorable. There are a few like you, that seem to think this isn't the case.

We can check as far back as we would like and find many personalities and politicians with drug and drinking problems. So drop the crap about Bush..

Nita
I think with Clinton's use of drugs and Bush, then our now President and his use of cocain and alcohol, drugs are off the table. The culture of that generation is saturated in drug use of the 60's 70's and beyond. Hard to find a Saint for the White House. I am sure there are many who chose a different path but the liberals must get over Bush and his alcohol use when your leadership is soaking in some toxin, either curently or in the past. So I agree, drop the crap about Bush. Your hands are also stained.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Sex happens. What I can't get passed is liberals how have the patent on sexual activity. Ok if they do it, not ok if the conservatives do it. I and I agree that I also get tired of the moral majority cheating on their spouses and then telling the rest of us to behave. However, I would not be telling teenagers to just go nuts and have all the unprotected sex they want if one of my daughters had been in Bristols situation. I do not see the hypocrisy that you try to pin on Sarah Palin. She handled her situation like a trooper and without shame. She clearly loves her family and loves her grandchild.
You would not do that, I did not do that. I raised two daughters who were taught: Abstinence is preferable. If you're not going to abstain, protect yourself. I am happy that my daughters chose to abstain until their 20s. No sane person thinks sex is OK for liberals but not conservatives. A very liberal friend of mine once made the observation that liberals are fine with sex but not the babies, conservatives are fine with the babies but not the sex. He had a point.

The problem with abstinence only is that the kids end up fairly ingorant of birth control resources, and when they do have sex, they get pregnant. I still say, what Sarah should have learned that it is not always realistic to be abstinent until marriage and that it is preferable to prevent a pregnancy. Sarah's grandchild will grow up with a lot of loving adults and plenty of money. Not every teen mom is so lucky to be in such a situation. Just watch a few episodes of "16 and pregnant".

Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM

646 posts, read 394,451 times
is it not also ironic that we've had two presidents in a row that were alcoholic/drug users?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
You would not do that, I did not do that. I raised two daughters who were taught: Abstinence is preferable. If you're not going to abstain, protect yourself. I am happy that my daughters chose to abstain until their 20s. No sane person thinks sex is OK for liberals but not conservatives. A very liberal friend of mine once made the observation that liberals are fine with sex but not the babies, conservatives are fine with the babies but not the sex. He had a point.

The problem with abstinence only is that the kids end up fairly ingorant of birth control resources, and when they do have sex, they get pregnant. I still say, what Sarah should have learned that it is not always realistic to be abstinent until marriage and that it is preferable to prevent a pregnancy. Sarah's grandchild will grow up with a lot of loving adults and plenty of money. Not every teen mom is so lucky to be in such a situation. Just watch a few episodes of "16 and pregnant".
I think my own daughter handled the situation with her two girls beautifully. of course she stressed the emotional involvement in being sexually active, she encouraged them to not put themselves in a situation that would be tempting, but she added: there is no reason for getting pregnant so don't you dare come home and tell me you are!!!! I will add, she didn't mean if they made a mistake they should have an abortion or shouldn't share their problems with her, she simply wanted to make it clear, like you said, don't do it, but if you do, protect yourself.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies