Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most influential and greatest first lady
Jackie Kennedy 16 25.81%
Lady Bird Johnson 1 1.61%
Eleanor Roosevelt 39 62.90%
Barbara Bush 6 9.68%
Rosalyn Carter 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:32 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Whoever put Grace Coolidge down was also a great pick.

She was also an awesome first lady who did tons of things for many people.

She was very involved.

Maybe we should ask posters to explain why they picked who they did.
I AGREE with you 100%. I don't think that many ppl really know if or what Grace Coolidge did, or maybe you were trying to be funny? If she accomplished some things, by all means do share with us.
I'm still begging the question what exactly did Jackie Kennedy did to earn her high score on this poll? I think that much of it has to do with her life AFTER the Presidency, perhaps fantastic press/folklore and the image of Camelot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:46 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Please, We are here to discuss the greatest First Lady of the United States. We are not here to debate a thesis, a golf game, or anything else that the Ladies may have done that did not have to directly do with their position.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Why did people vote for Barbara Bush or Jackie Kennedy? I don't understand those votes. Jackie may be explained by the Kennedy mystique and her glamorous life. She also exuded pageantry,style and dignity in the White House and during the aftermath of the assassination. But can anybody name an accomplishment that she is known for in the 3 years that she was First Lady?

I didn't vote for Jackie in this poll but she did more than any previous person to restore the White House to its current glory. She appointed the first White House curator and managed to locate and purchase back a lot of the original furnishing and artwork of the early presidents to place back in the White House. She was responsible for formation of the White House Historical Ass. which has done so much over the years to preserve the White House for future generations. For that, she deserves high marks.

Jacqueline Kennedy: White House Restoration (http://www.fieldmuseum.org/jkennedy/restoration.html - broken link)

Quote:
She was careful to insure the public understood that this was not a matter of decorating to her tastes, but an effort to honor American history and craftsmanship: “It would be sacrilege to merely redecorate it—a word I hate. It must be restored, and that has nothing to do with decoration. That is a question of scholarship.”

Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I didn't vote for Jackie in this poll but she did more than any previous person to restore the White House to its current glory. She appointed the first White House curator and managed to locate and purchase back a lot of the original furnishing and artwork of the early presidents to place back in the White House. She was responsible for formation of the White House Historical Ass. which has done so much over the years to preserve the White House for future generations. For that, she deserves high marks.

Jacqueline Kennedy: White House Restoration (http://www.fieldmuseum.org/jkennedy/restoration.html - broken link)
thank you, wayland woman. that just reminded me of a playback of an old primetime TV special where Mrs Kennedy was discussing the WH redux.

so, what did barbara bush do besides breed spaniels, bake cookies and welcome katrina refugees to the astrodome?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
In a book I read written by a long time career staff person in the White House up to but not including the Bushs he said the nicest first lady by far was Pat Nixon. That's not to say she was the most influential.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
One example out of the past two hundred years of politicians doesn't make it the norm. I'll bet if he ran for president she'd give up that news reporter job in a New York minute.

You said no politician gets very far without his/her spouse being heavily involved in the process. I proved you wrong. I'm sure I could come up with more but since I've already proven that you were wrong there's not much point to that.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Dolly Madison--She saved our constitution.

Biography of DOLLY MADISON
You beat me to it She also saved the portrait
of George Washington

Old 09-07-2010, 05:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
In a book I read written by a long time career staff person in the White House up to but not including the Bushs he said the nicest first lady by far was Pat Nixon. That's not to say she was the most influential.
When the White House projectionist retired in 1999 after working in the White House screening room for 55 years, he claimed the first lady who impressed him as the most intelligent was Jackie Kennedy (and that the president who impressed him as most intelligent was Bill Clinton).

Make of this what you will.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Eleanor was the best.... then for the whole slew of different reasons, Jackie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies