Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times

Advertisements

Why does disagreement equal hate?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
I thought they were primarily focused on taxes and deficits. What is the connection between a union plumber and the tax rate??

public sector unions cause unreasonably high pay for public employees in large, primarily democratic cities. these unions cause high taxes via their political clout, which translates into lavish benefits that are perpetually paid for "later," and breeds inefficiency in the work itself since unions make it hard to fire people who suck at their jobs.

this only happens in certain locations with great severity. (the proverbial $100k/year toll booth operator in NYC, California, etc) tea partiers are worried about this spreading further, to federal government, or to their local cities and states.

you also have the issue that private unions are ultimately backstopped by the taxpayer, via the PBGC, as well as the general sentiment that our president is eager to channel federal dollars to private sector unions.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Because they aren't new or unique, they are a replica.

Actually, right to work states are not better. At all. But that is the brainwashing that has been going on for several years in an attempt to destroy the unions.
I would welcome some kind of proof of that last statement. It sounds so much like what "Barney Boss" of the union at hand would say with nothing other than his words to prove what he says.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
That isn't the argument. The teachers, here, are willing to make concessions but they want to see administration and higher ups take the cut as well. The higher ups are not willing to make the cuts.
I guess the education of the kids will have to continue to suffer since the union doesn't give a damn about that part of the problem. What happened in New Jersey should make us all sick.

I am speaking of this from a stance of having been there. I stopped my membership in the NEA, both state and national, when they gave money to a Democrat candidate for President without getting the permission of the membership. If unions had to do that I could side with them but they just don't.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have run construction jobs that used both Union, in Canada, and non-union workers to do essentially the same job of moving and storing heavy machinery. I did not have to tell the Union guys how to do their jobs. I had to teach the non union guys how to do most everything.

The reason for hiring a Union Plumber is his work does not leak. The reason for hiring a Union Electrician is your house won't burn down or a miswired outlet won't kill you in the bathroom.

The primary reason for union workers is to prevent the owners of industry from turning everyone into a slave.

SOLIDARITY – WE NEED THE ONE BIG UNION!
Slavery is slavery and it makes no difference who you are a slave to, the owners or the union bosses.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The only thing that people want is cheap labor. Same argument was made to move the illegal aliens in here. No miraculous new party. Same crap. Different day. Another little Republican thing. Same group that destroyed the country are at it again .
You failed to say that the Dems in government and the union bosses have worked so they can force those illegal aliens to pay union dues. Go ahead and include all of the truth while you are at it.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 AM

18 posts, read 11,285 times
How can you be against unions but not it's membership. That makes no sense. By definition, a trade union is an organization comprised of workers. You can't have a union without workers. When you call union members lazy, who are they referring to, if not the members?? Imagine if someone said they hate the NY Yankees, but love the players????

Quote:
A trade union labor union ([url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English"]American English is an organization of workers that have banded together to achieve common goals such as better Working_conditions"]working conditions

Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Send in the clows View Post
How can you be against unions but not it's membership. That makes no sense. By definition, a trade union is an organization comprised of workers. You can't have a union without workers. When you call union members lazy, who are they referring to, if not the members?? Imagine if someone said they hate the NY Yankees, but love the players????
do you understand the difference between the individuals and the leadership

a 'member' will get his butt kicked, if he wants to work (to put food on the table) yet the LEADERSHIP wants to strike

Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Nice try, but off the mark. Unions are a monopoly that extracts above-market wages which ALL of us pay for through higher prices. Every person in the country is free to sell his or her labor on mutually agreeable terms to whomever, wherever they choose. Each is also free to improve his or her value to potential employers through improvements in attitude, effort, skills, or education. The presence of a union corrupts those freedoms.

93% of us get paid what we are worth. 7% of us (the union members) get paid more than we are worth. The 93% subsidize the 7%.

Please...

I've been a union member. I've worked as labor in union and open shops. I've worked as management in union and open shops. I've been on both sides of that equation.

The reality of the socioeconomic situation in America is 99.9% of us, union or nonunion, support the top 0.1% of this country. And those 0.1% folks, by and large, do darn little to add value to the country other than move their wealth around to their advantage.

What we have is privatized wealth and socialized debt in the from of TARP and various bailouts for Wall St fatcats and insiders. THAT's what's ruining our economy. And the unions aren't playing any part in that fiasco.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM

18 posts, read 11,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
do you understand the difference between the individuals and the leadership

a 'member' will get his butt kicked, if he wants to work (to put food on the table) yet the LEADERSHIP wants to strike
Using your logic, if a person says "I hate the military, but I don't hate the troops" and they say they only mean the leadership, this is perfectly acceptable? Yes or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies