Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,329,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
rich people don't like paying liveable wages, after they had to get rich somehow, and underpaying workers is an easy way.

Unions interfere with that.
Wrong, you get paid what you are worth and what value you bring to the business owner.

You make your livable wage by obtaining skills and talent that make you more valuable and get more pay.

No one deserves a liveable wage for just showing up, you get what you are worth.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,043,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
That's nice. Frankly, I think they are crap.
me to I live in a RTW state and my prop taxes are 600 a year.My brother lives in NY and pays 13000 a year for the same sq ft home.I live way better than him. he is a union kiss a$$ slave,I am a self employed free man. We are both carpenters

Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,420,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Wrong, you get paid what you are worth and what value you bring to the business owner.

You make your livable wage by obtaining skills and talent that make you more valuable and get more pay.

No one deserves a liveable wage for just showing up, you get what you are worth.
Great post, Sunny-Days. The problem is that a lot of people provide so little value to society that they cannot live on what they are worth. So they blame their employer, who after all is already paying them more than anyone else would.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 PM

4,565 posts, read 4,112,783 times
Quote:

Not if someone down the street can do the job for less and do almost as good a job.

If everyone obtains skills, the skills are no more valuable. Additionally a large majority of jobs are low/no skill jobs. Doesn't make them any less valuable.

Everyone deserves a liveable wage. If you put in your time and effort and are doing your job, you should be able to feed yourself pay rent power, transportation. If you are the best you deserve more.

Keep in mind everyone is replaceable by someone in China, India, or another southeast asian country, even you. The instant someone in Wall Street figures out how to make it worthwhile, it will be done.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:43 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,420,034 times
Quote:
Everyone deserves a liveable wage. If you put in your time and effort and are doing your job, you should be able to feed yourself pay rent power, transportation. If you are the best you deserve more.

Keep in mind everyone is replaceable by someone in China, India, or another southeast asian country, even you. The instant someone in Wall Street figures out how to make it worthwhile, it will be done.
Would you have any problem paying 50% more for a product, simply because the business was putting in the time and effort and doing the job?

Didn't think so. That is why businesses can only pay people what they are worth. "Liveable wage" ultimately means business bankruptcy and NO job.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:56 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,536,254 times
Quote:
Exactly. No one owes anyone a living. You have to earn it.
Living under the umbrella of a union creates a certain type of individual who believes that their skills are more valuable than they are. It also creates, many times, a needy whiny individual with entitlement issues.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,029,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
I thought they were primarily focused on taxes and deficits. What is the connection between a union plumber and the tax rate??
The whole premise of the question is off base. I think a lot of people think "If they don't give me what I want, then they must hate me". I work in a union shop and see that menatlity. To me, it's the mentality of a 5 year old.

The city where I work laid off 49 firefighters this year, a group previously seen as untouchable. Yet some of my co-workers refuse to believe our city's budget deficit is as bad as they say it is. I was just talking with 2 co-workers who don't believe they were actually laid off, even though this was well publicized, in the newspaper, etc.

They just don't want to believe in the laws of mathematics. They want to believe 1+1=3 and anyone who tells them otherwise "hates" them or is "against" them .

Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
That isn't the argument. The teachers, here, are willing to make concessions but they want to see administration and higher ups take the cut as well. The higher ups are not willing to make the cuts.
The higher ups where I work took cuts, and you know what??? A lot of my fellow union members don't believe it. You could show them the physical paychecks of management, and some still wouldn't believe.

So, I think your statement is an excuse.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Because they aren't new or unique, they are a replica.

Actually, right to work states are not better. At all. But that is the brainwashing that has been going on for several years in an attempt to destroy the unions.
They're not better for union members, but they are better for the non-union majority.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:13 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,536,254 times
Quote:
Everyone deserves, "a living wage" Where do you people get this stuff? The Communist Manifesto perhaps? lol!

I mean seriously do you really buy into this propaganda? A living wage? What exactly is this, who determintes it?

Supply and demand. What skills do you bring to the table.

If you are breathing is this considered a living wage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies