Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Actually Steve Jobs' annual salary is $1.00.

As co-founder of Apple, he is the single largest shareholder, with stock valued at over 4 Billion.

How many entry level employees would 4 billion buy?
I don't begrudge Jobs a dime of his 4 billion in assets of the company that he founded and guided. Of course any business moron knows that the value of assets has nothing to do with annual salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
That pretty well makes sense when you reason why they are the top paid CEO;duh.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
So what is the issue here? Are you people jealous you can't be a CEO? This is real life. Life isn't fair and you want it to be. It's not and never will be. The world needs ditch diggers and CEO's. I don't make anywhere near what those CEO's make. But, you don't see me whining about it or saying the government should take their money and give it to me. What is the point of all this? I see nothing but pure jealously and GREED on YOUR part.

I don't know what others are thinking who reply to this thread but I'll say what I am thinking. It is interesting that often those who seem to blindly support business practice use the terms "life isn't fair" , "you are greedy if you need a handout and accept a handout", "take my money so they can give it to you", while also champion being American saying things like " moral and family values", " duty and honor toward your country", "go when asked to serve", "respect and love for god and god's principles", "sacrifice for your country"......

Now like I said earlier, I don't care what somebody makes as long as they didn't step on someone else. However lets say the company isn't producing profit like last year, things are bad in the country overall. The CEO or directors are faced with loosing personal profit like most everybody else. While they are already doing better than most, to increase profit for themselves even in a down economy they cut jobs, expect others to work harder to make up for it. It doesn't matter to them that those cut are faced with hardship, maybe unrecoverable, and that it hurts the country, their personal wealth is all that matters above the good of the country.

Those that defend this will also exclaim all those virtues about love for country also? pghquest on another thread mentioned how he busted his butt to get where he is, so lets say someone did that and their CEO says F*** you it ain't my problem I am cutting you because my personal gain matters more? So pghquest who played by the rules and worked hard, is fired, looses his health insurance, his kid gets sick, judgments are placed against him and he''ll never recover financially....oh well tough luck, life isn't fair? His CEO needed to build a 2nd mansion so god bless America?

Anybody that supports that, don't even preach to me about duty, honor, sacrifice to your country and morals of worshipping god above wealth. And don't bring up the word greedy when that person who was cut accepts a unemployment check or government healthcare.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
As long as they get those tax breaks extended while they continue to stockpile their profits and do not hire people & instead make those who are working for them work harder & longer hours, they are hurting the American people.
They have no values & no morals but, will continue to tout about how others SHOULD live.
They are pigs who disgrace and mock our country.
They don't care about America or the America people. They care about PROFITS. The actions of Corporate America speak for themselves they have basically told the American working people "We can make ***loads of money and hell no, we don't care how you feel. And by the way that nice raise you want *** you!"

Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Corporate America operates with their own set of rules.
They have bought out the government and can do what they want.

This is NOT free market capitalism and I hope you all realize that.
Small/medium businesses that compete with each other and offer quality products..THAT is free market capitalism.

But when you get into the corporations and multi-nationals that's a whole n'other ballgame and we can't even get a ticket to sit in the bleachers with them.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Anyone here who doesn't like what a CEO does is free to start thier own business and compete withe "evil" ones.

If you are so smart take your business and put the others out of business.

It is always easy to whine.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Anyone here who doesn't like what a CEO does is free to start thier own business and compete withe "evil" ones.

Exactly right, thats why huge tax cuts on business doesn't mean corporations or large companies are gonna hire more people. We are and have been the hardest working Country in the world. Think about it, lets say you layoff 700 people and the remaining 250 people do two or three different jobs and maybe work 50 - 60 hours a week instead of 40 and the company gives comp time instead of time and a half, thats a huge savings for the company, thus the CEO makes more money. Why would a business hire more people now with tax cuts when they can get the tax cuts and keep more money in their pocket, especially in this economy when some employees will take on more tasks at work knowing the alternative is unemployment.

I know a stay at home mom that wanted to do something this school year for exercise.So she got a business license and insurance for around $350, then she went around our neighborhood( 400 houses ) and gave out flyers for dog walking for $25.00 an hour. When she got home from passing out the flyers there was 6 people wanting to sign up. That was two weeks ago know she has 22 people and afraid that she might have taken on too much.

Thats just an example of someone who could care less about CEO's and their pay. Its amazing what people can do with a little effort.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Exactly right, thats why huge tax cuts on business doesn't mean corporations or large companies are gonna hire more people.
It does if you give them a tax cut BECAUSE they are hiring..
1,000 employees last year, 1,100 employees this year, = A TAX CUT..
1,000 employees last year, 900 employees this year, = NO TAX CUT..

See how that works? Its a hell of a lot cheaper to give them a tax cut to hire than it is to keep the 100 people on unemployment...
Quote:
We are and have been the hardest working Country in the world. Think about it, lets say you layoff 700 people and the remaining 250 people do two or three different jobs and maybe work 50 - 60 hours a week instead of 40 and the company gives comp time instead of time and a half, thats a huge savings for the company, thus the CEO makes more money.
Where your math went wrong is hours are ALSO being cut for the 250 people left. The CEO makes more money because less employees are doing more work each, but no whee close to the percentages you gave.. they are working maybe 35 hours instead of 40, doing the same work they did in 40.. The others being laid off are because of LESS CUSTOMERS..
Quote:
Why would a business hire more people now with tax cuts when they can get the tax cuts and keep more money in their pocket, especially in this economy when some employees will take on more tasks at work knowing the alternative is unemployment.
What tax cuts are you talking about businesses get to keep?
Quote:
I know a stay at home mom that wanted to do something this school year for exercise.So she got a business license and insurance for around $350, then she went around our neighborhood( 400 houses ) and gave out flyers for dog walking for $25.00 an hour. When she got home from passing out the flyers there was 6 people wanting to sign up. That was two weeks ago know she has 22 people and afraid that she might have taken on too much.
She understand that she can hire someone?
Quote:
Thats just an example of someone who could care less about CEO's and their pay. Its amazing what people can do with a little effort.
Bingo.. which makes me ask why its such an isue for those on the left?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:57 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't know what others are thinking who reply to this thread but I'll say what I am thinking. It is interesting that often those who seem to blindly support business practice use the terms "life isn't fair" , "you are greedy if you need a handout and accept a handout", "take my money so they can give it to you", while also champion being American saying things like " moral and family values", " duty and honor toward your country", "go when asked to serve", "respect and love for god and god's principles", "sacrifice for your country"......

Now like I said earlier, I don't care what somebody makes as long as they didn't step on someone else. However lets say the company isn't producing profit like last year, things are bad in the country overall. The CEO or directors are faced with loosing personal profit like most everybody else. While they are already doing better than most, to increase profit for themselves even in a down economy they cut jobs, expect others to work harder to make up for it. It doesn't matter to them that those cut are faced with hardship, maybe unrecoverable, and that it hurts the country, their personal wealth is all that matters above the good of the country.

Those that defend this will also exclaim all those virtues about love for country also? pghquest on another thread mentioned how he busted his butt to get where he is, so lets say someone did that and their CEO says F*** you it ain't my problem I am cutting you because my personal gain matters more? So pghquest who played by the rules and worked hard, is fired, looses his health insurance, his kid gets sick, judgments are placed against him and he''ll never recover financially....oh well tough luck, life isn't fair? His CEO needed to build a 2nd mansion so god bless America?

Anybody that supports that, don't even preach to me about duty, honor, sacrifice to your country and morals of worshipping god above wealth. And don't bring up the word greedy when that person who was cut accepts a unemployment check or government healthcare.
Thank you for this post.
Those who don't care or who think it is OK that CEOs can make a bonus equal to 900x an employees salary for a year will cry out the loudest about 'fair & balanced' issues that only THEY care about.
They don't love this country, only the fact they can get away with this legal theft. God Bless America.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Apples & Oranges
The point is not that everyone wants to be a CEO and make 900x what their employees salary is a year, the point is the unfairness to the average employee.
It is also not setting good examples for our young people to see CEOs taking millions in a bonus for themselves, morally it is just wrong.
I was raised to work hard & be fair, & never steal from anyone.
Its not good karma is it?

Apparently whining isn't as easy as grabbing these mountainous bonuses for some of the CEOs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies