Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
And ironically it's only legal in Nevada, a conservative state.

What are the reasons behind this?
europe is more liberal? seems obvious to me....

Do you want to live in a european-like country? To me, they have a lot of issues that I just don't care to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM

13,607 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I think that it is everyone's business for the good of society in order to stop the spiraling down and degeneration that would occur if these types of acts were openly acceptable.

It's as simple as - remember when we used to not have to lock our doors? Look how far we have come with our "freedom" to do anything under the sun. We can take "freedom" and bind ourselves with chains. "Freedom" comes with accountability.

Your neighbor could be having orgies, or be a prostitute and doubtful you would know the better, so how does it effect you then?

As far as freedom, a person's freedom ends at the point it intrudes on another, for the most part people engaging in sex doesn't effect you, so maybe those seeking to regulate morality or their brand of morality towards sex are the ones abusing freedom to the point of intruding.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Try going to Las Vegas or Reno and get a hooker. You will end up in jail, where you belong.
The odds of someone getting a hooker and going to jail, in Las Vegas is very, very, VERY small. Same with being on the Strip (the Strip is not in the City of Las Vegas)

Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Your neighbor could be having orgies, or be a prostitute and doubtful you would know the better, so how does it effect you then?

As far as freedom, a person's freedom ends at the point it intrudes on another, for the most part people engaging in sex doesn't effect you, so maybe those seeking to regulate morality or their brand of morality towards sex are the ones abusing freedom to the point of intruding.
I'm sure these things are happening. It's a bit different than to openly commend them as good and healthy behaviour.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Prostitution affects everybody. It's on the streets and brings with it crime, abuse and sickness. And as we can see here in Europe legalizing it didn't solve the problem. The people will still go to the illegal prostitutes because will want to pay half the price and so on. What happened is that now we have prostitution everywhere legal and illegal because a lot of people wanted to make a quick buck! The pimps didn't want to lose their business so they opened legal brothels but they also spread their illegal prostitution business in other parts of the cities where it wasn't until then.
I don't live in Holland but they have really big problems with both the legal and the illegal prostitution.
Legalizing prostitution didn't made it safer for the prostitutes neither for the clients! It made it worse! The girls need to test for STD's at 2 weeks (in some countries probably once per month) and some girls have even 5-10 clients/day... the risk of getting STD's is very high!
And how does making it illegal stop any of these problems? It only adds to these problems.

If you want to fight the problems then fight unemployment

Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
europe is more liberal? seems obvious to me....

Do you want to live in a european-like country? To me, they have a lot of issues that I just don't care to deal with.
Europe it's not more liberal than US... that's another myth! Actually is more conservative I would say! (UK is an exception)Our kids don't have sex at 12 years old and don't get pregnant by 14 like in US (US is number 1 at teen pregnancy). We have 200 times less drug addicts here. If one calls himself a Christian here then he is a Christian... in US more than 50% of those so called Christian are worst than those so called agnostics here.
Yes, there are a lot of issues here but Europe is not as morally bankrupt as US yet.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:41 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And how does making it illegal stop any of these problems? It only adds to these problems.

If you want to fight the problems then fight unemployment
The problems remain the same but not as many girls will be prostitutes and not as many guys will go at prostitutes if it's illegally!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
So legalizing it would cause the women to be treated better? Kristin Davis, aka Manhattan Madam, was interviewed after the Spitzer case and talked about how the girls are taught to handle themselves when someone roughs them up.
Ask yourself what keeps a prostitute from reporting a violent customer to the police? The fact that she herself stands a good chance of being prosecuted. Prostitution being outlawed makes it safer to beat up a prostitute.

Quote:
What would be so wonderful about that type of profession?
Not much, but if two consenting adults decide to exchange cash for sex, I don't see why it's necessary to consider it a crime.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM

13,607 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Quote:
I'm sure these things are happening. It's a bit different than to openly commend them as good and healthy behaviour.

Just because you legalize something doesn't mean you are commending it or saying it is good. Same with alchohol or marijuana or tobacco or gambling. But there are police raids on swinger clubs, prostitution stings where cops lure people, cops who go undercover in a strip bar to see if a dancer is touching a customer, and people who use legislation and the police to condem those they don't agree with even when having sex or smoking a fatty doesn't effect them. That is wrong.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
The problems remain the same but not as many girls will be prostitutes and not as many guys will go at prostitutes if it's illegally!
Prostitution was illegal in almost as much of the 1950s USA as it is today, the only place in the US where prostitution was legal in the 1950s in which it is not today was Alaska. (A shame, because that would've been an ideal occupation for the Palin women....)

Yet according to Kinsey, 75% of American men in the 1950s had patronized prostitutes. The figure today is about 20%.

If criminalization was the answer, there would've been fewer males patronizing prostitutes back then. The percentage in the 1950s was probably little different than the percentage in the 1910s when prostitution was legal in the US. The reason for the decrease is because it's no longer expected for women to stay virgins until marriage and there's less branding of women who sleep around as "sluts".

Criminalization doesn't solve prostitution problems, it only amplifies them, as with legality comes control. If guns were banned in the US do you really think gun crime would stop and no one would have a gun? Same with prostitution. Prostitution being outlawed only means that outlaws are prostitutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies