Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:35 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,366,235 times

Advertisements

How can Finland possibly be number one? It's basically all white. How can it be number one with no diversity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 04:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,816,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
The concept of the ratings is not that it would be the best country for people other than them to live in.
In other words, it's a pretty useless ranking

Old 09-04-2010, 04:45 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,386,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
How can Finland possibly be number one? It's basically all white. How can it be number one with no diversity?
It is not the most diverse nation on earth. The rating is not about diversity. Finland has been historically "all white" but it is no longer.

There is also the indigenous population which has been there as long as the white Finnish population and is counted in the mix. And they are not what the average American sees as "white" but then again, we still cling to the term Caucasian, which makes no sense for most white Americans.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In other words, it's a pretty useless ranking
Well, no.

As I responded to the poster, the rating is not based on what would make other people of other nations move there. In that case, if USA ranked 1st and we had even more people globally interested in movin here based on that, imagine the shi*storm that would ensue!!!! Finland being rated the best means that as a society, it works best for its citizens. Ok?

As a country, can you say the US works best for its citizens? By the range of comments on City data forum I would say NO! I would say there is major disagreement and strife in the USA as well as a HUGE disparity in education. Then again, our population is much larger. Lots of issues. Nothing black and white.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:00 PM

I see it differently. To me it is a useless ranking because it is very subjective. What makes Finland a top country might not matter to me or even be a turn-off. Actually all of Scandinavia is a turn-off to me despite the good data.
Plus, who knows how they arrived at those numbers.

From a global perspective the logic you mentioned applies to Finland just the way it applies to the US or Botswana. I don't assume the Fins are any more interested in new immigrants than US-Americans are. Maybe they are pissed by all that publicity recently

Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 PM

8,904 posts, read 5,402,169 times
Quote:
The concept of the ratings is not that it would be the best country for people other than them to live in.

In fact, unless you are an American who knows Alaska weather, or midwest Winters, I would not suggest it. You could possibly end up being such a whiny miserable mess that they would regret hosting you anyway.

It takes serious stamina to live , and succeed, in many regions on Earth. If you cant take the heat (or extreme cold), get the f. out. Nobody wants your mediocre efforts.
Then what is the concept exactly?

Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM

8,904 posts, read 5,402,169 times
Quote:
Well, no.

As I responded to the poster, the rating is not based on what would make other people of other nations move there. In that case, if USA ranked 1st and we had even more people globally interested in movin here based on that, imagine the shi*storm that would ensue!!!! Finland being rated the best means that as a society, it works best for its citizens. Ok?
Apparently those that made up those high suicide numbers didn't think so.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I see it differently. To me it is a useless ranking because it is very subjective. What makes Finland a top country might not matter to me or even be a turn-off. Actually all of Scandinavia is a turn-off to me despite the good data.
Plus, who knows how they arrived at those numbers.

From a global perspective the logic you mentioned applies to Finland just the way it applies to the US or Botswana. I don't assume the Fins are any more interested in new immigrants than US-Americans are. Maybe they are pissed by all that publicity recently
The rating is not about immigrants so I am not going to go deeper into that discussion. Particularly because in the overall rating, Sweden is 3rd and Australia is 4th- 2 countries that have actually extremely high immigrant populations compared to what they had a couple of decades ago.

The point of the "contest" is not to persuade individual citizens, such as yourself, of various countries, that another country is better than theirs. The whole measuring system is an overview of how all citizens fare in that society, not about how joe blow in America views the results.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
The rating is not about immigrants so I am not going to go deeper into that discussion. Particularly because in the overall rating, Sweden is 3rd and Australia is 4th- 2 countries that have actually extremely high immigrant populations compared to what they had a couple of decades ago.

The point of the "contest" is not to persuade individual citizens, such as yourself, of various countries, that another country is better than theirs. The whole measuring system is an overview of how all citizens fare in that society, not about how joe blow in America views the results.
Of course, but still, the problems remain. I don't see how what you say changes anything. When they are only objective statistics, they might very well be suited to help a potential emigrant make up their mind. If I am a parent to whom education is most important I might conclude from those statistics that the US is not the ideal place to go.
Comparison is the only purpose of such rankings as the numbers as such don't mean anything.
But since obviously nobody will move to Kazakhstan although schools there are better than in the US, I doubt the rankings mean much. Nobody knows how they got those numbers. Did they compare marks? Probably. But what were the methods those marks were achieved? (Japanese and other East Asian students are very good, but oftentimes that is achieved by excessive pressure and authoritarian methods.)

Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 PM

37,325 posts, read 19,317,467 times
Rankings all depend on the criteria used to define them.

In what way is Newsweek's data flawed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies