Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,385,077 times

Advertisements

I sometimes wonder what the actual point is of these political forums as all i'm seeing is a perpetual right bashing left and left bashing right with boring predictability ,do people actually believe that they are going to change some ones political view point by the perceived relevance of their rant?
Or is all this ranting just a new form of meaningless entertainment ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 AM

571 posts, read 944,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yes. It's been around for a while. I like it, personally. Calling anonymous strangers mentally retarded is a GREAT way to relieve stress.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,532,664 times
I'd agree to a point it's meaningless entertainment

How ever the fact is that this and past administrations
clearly have forgot who they work for and this can be
proven by our debt and the inability to secure or borders

Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,984,933 times
Better to vent steam via a peaceful medium than to riot in the streets.

Maybe it would be more productive to just sell tar, feathers and mast poles on the Capitol mall?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,384,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Yes. It's been around for a while. I like it, personally. Calling anonymous strangers mentally retarded is a GREAT way to relieve stress.

Lol!!!

Unless of course they feel you are slandering the entire "special needs" population by using the word 'retarded,' in which case they might then feel the need to bark very loudly to engage you in an argument that will end only when one person decides to stop arguing.

Think OP has a great point. I'd like to assume that most of the posters here are adults who don't see online posting as a way to "hide" and insult whoever they see fit. My own mantra is that if it's something I typically would not say around people in person, I shouldn't post here it. But, in person I can be crass and blunt too, so, well....

With the political bickering, its funny (in that sad way) that people will state your political leanings for you. One stranger assuming the entire political belief system of another (often thrown out in an insulting way - "You lame liberals!!!" "Conservative hogwash!!!" Ad nauseum...) only by reading a few sentences they have read by that poster. The political bickering is juvenile and extremely prevalent on these forums. I admit to partake in it, as rarely as I can, partly because of how exhausting it is. Imo, telling a person to f off is one thing. They can do whatever they want, really. Telling another person what their political beliefs are and why they are wrong is monumentally stupid. IMO.

But what can we expect when in homes throughout the nation the political bickering is broadcast through "legitimate" news channels, and politicians and political celebrities continue to feed into the divide to bolster their own stance and following.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,385,077 times
With just 4 replies to this topic i take it the relevance of the political bickering as i thought is pointless and is just meaningless entertainment for an army of keyboard commandos.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:24 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,550,974 times
Quote:
With just 4 replies to this topic i take it the relevance of the political bickering as i thought is pointless and is just meaningless entertainment for an army of keyboard commandos.
I've started a few threads just like this one. They always die a slow death. Nobody wants to talk about anything truly mature and meaningful. In fact, I don't think most posters are even capable.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,074,974 times
Quote:
I sometimes wonder what the actual point is of these political forums as all i'm seeing is a perpetual right bashing left and left bashing right with boring predictability ,do people actually believe that they are going to change some ones political view point by the perceived relevance of their rant?

It's a sport for those of us who throw like a girl but still think we can hit a few out of the park.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,364,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post

Here too, sometimes I learn something new about a political group.
But, some of us know that you cannot call a member a mental retard without being....... well I really cant discuss it.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,956,460 times
Quote:
Most of the people here believe that he/she who gets in the last word wins the argument. Childish ranting; mostly from the *******s and their stupid, failing agenda.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies