Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 AM

628 posts, read 1,316,119 times

Advertisements

The irony of this online "political debate" is that each side believes that they are truly correct in their respective argument {point of view} whereas in all reality; the politicians on both sides of the aisle do not care one bit about what we think. They are mostly all self interested dolts looking for a lifelong career with unbelievable benefits....the USA and what it stood for dissapeared decades ago while we all blindly argued who was right and who was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I sometimes wonder what the actual point is of these political forums as all i'm seeing is a perpetual right bashing left and left bashing right with boring predictability ,do people actually believe that they are going to change some ones political view point by the perceived relevance of their rant?
Or is all this ranting just a new form of meaningless entertainment ?
I do not think you can change anyones political view I have tried that and it goes no where. I am entrenched in my views I lean Libertarian conservative and I hate both parties equally. It would take a frontal lobotomy for me to lean to the left and hell would freeze over before a neo con can convince me that {R}s leaders are conservative.
With that said I am not so partisan that I think that one party is always right and the other side is evil and always wrong. That is why I admire Paul who reaches out and works with the other side to find some common ground. You do not see that in the forum, the lines are drawn and my side is always right and the leaders are a reflection of us.
Most of the threads are partisan gibberish but their are some very intelligent posters that I have learned from {both left and right} that is the main reason I am here.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
The irony of this online "political debate" is that each side believes that they are truly correct in their respective argument {point of view} whereas in all reality; the politicians on both sides of the aisle do not care one bit about what we think. They are mostly all self interested dolts looking for a lifelong career with unbelievable benefits....the USA and what it stood for dissapeared decades ago while we all blindly argued who was right and who was wrong.
Well said.
No matter what happens Obama has joined an exclusive club of Presidents of the United States of America and he and his family will basically want for nothing the rest of their lives,he's a winner by default no matter what the righties say or how long he spends in office or how successful his legacy is judged . Have a nice day

Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
There is a reso that forums and such have actuly gianed so much powewr verus the commercial media. Its evrythig on teh internet that people see others of like mind. It ecposes more of what is going on without it being spoon feed by bias media on both sides.The inbternet drives the agenda more than any other media today and much is on blogs and forums where people express their opinons and share news often not coveraed by nedia. Congress certainyl knows it this elction and the last vote on immagraiton was bascially stormed by the votes because of the internet spreading the news.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
I sometimes wonder what the actual point is of these political forums as all i'm seeing is a perpetual right bashing left and left bashing right with boring predictability ,do people actually believe that they are going to change some ones political view point by the perceived relevance of their rant?
There are many who are in the middle. I like to count myself as one of them, as I'm an equal opportunity offender.

The point for me is to educate, and maybe come up with a good idea or two. The way our nations founders dealt with argument was to debate the issue in an informed and civil manner, and then to try and find the best solution.

I find a real lack of education on economic, social, and world political issues. And when people start listening to only one news agency or the next, they take a side. Then you become the victim of group think, which should always be avoided.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I've started a few threads just like this one. They always die a slow death. Nobody wants to talk about anything truly mature and meaningful. In fact, I don't think most posters are even capable.
No. Many are not capable. This sort of thread demands too much self reflection for most posters I guess.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,021 times
I'm on here to see if I can improve my debate skills and learn something.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There are many who are in the middle. I like to count myself as one of them, as I'm an equal opportunity offender.

equal opportunity offenders unite!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:32 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
Quote:
Thats all it is is entertainment.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I'm on here to see if I can improve my debate skills and learn something.
Debate hard and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies