Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 AM

120 posts, read 263,803 times

Advertisements

it seems to me whenever the ultra left can demogog christians they dont hesitate to do so why is this? i am talking about the ultra left i know plenty of democrats that are good christians, it just seems to me this progresive wing of the democrat party and the left media have no problem putting christians down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 02:40 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,693 times
I think it's because of those on the far right who try to force their religious agenda on the US even though we have a separation of church and state.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:50 AM

120 posts, read 263,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I think it's because of those on the far right who try to force their religious agenda on the US even though we have a separation of church and state.
well most christians dont want to force their beliefs on folks that pushes people away and there is a separation of church and state and i would say 98% of christians respect that but this country was founded on christian values and a strong faith in God. most ultra liberals want to think that faith in God had no influence in the founding of these united states but thats just not true.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Agreed. I can't say any branch of politics is anti-religion, just the far right is often incredibly religious, and tries to push it onto the country and people where it has no place (sharron angle) Many people find the evangelicals fine, but many, many more find their believes and way of life very extreme, if not loopy.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:29 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Constitutionalist
it seems to me whenever the ultra left can demogog christians they dont hesitate to do so why is this? i am talking about the ultra left i know plenty of democrats that are good christians, it just seems to me this progresive wing of the democrat party and the left media have no problem putting christians down.
Yeah, I'm a left leaning Christian who wonders the same thing. I'm not really sure why.

Quote:
That's part of it, but some also hate religion itself. I've had liberals on this forum call christians mentally ill and warped because they believe in the bible (or "a bunch of fairy tales). A lot of cons here don't like religion either, but most of the venom seems from the far far left.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Evangelicals continue to use the angle of claiming liberals attack all Christians when in fact most of these liberals are Christians themselves and specifically direct their criticisms toward Evangelicals for not respecting the separation of church and state and trying to impose their beliefs on the public. They do not criticize Christians in general or all Christians but rather that subset of fundamentalist Christians who make up Evangelicals.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:42 AM

783 posts, read 814,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitutionalist View Post
Mostly becouse of the bigotry narrowmíndedness intolarance and strongly moralisticly reactionary streak found amongst the evangelical Christian right.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
well most christians dont want to force their beliefs on folks that pushes people away and there is a separation of church and state and i would say 98% of christians respect that but this country was founded on christian values and a strong faith in God. most ultra liberals want to think that faith in God had no influence in the founding of these united states but thats just not true.
Again, you don't speak on behalf of all Christians. Christians are a diverse group. Evangelicals like yourself manipulate this argument by pretending they represent all Christians and their views when they clearly don't. For example, many Christians are not opposed to gay marriage as a legal proposition regardless of their personal and religious views on the matter. Evangelicals, on the other hand seek to impose their views on the country by banning it. Evangelicals don't respect the separation of church and state and thus try to ban gays from getting married even though they have nothing to do with a couple's relationship.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Conservative people keep bashing atheists, so why wouldn't progressives bash religions, not just Christians by the way...

Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
I dont think anyone has a problem with true Christians. It's hypocritical, sanctimonious, emphatically unChristian types whom Jesus would scorn and who are despised by honest people everywhere, not just "the ultra left"

This, though I'm sure there's plenty more/better: Escape From Churchianity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies