Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times

Advertisements

"What's more important for citizens to notice is that a 2500 page bill got turned into a law without any accurate, thorough summary of it appearing in any media where any of us could really follow it and make informed judgements. I think the fact that it appeared in 2500 pages without an English language 5 page summary from our government, you know....shows how the people are being shut out of the deliberative process."

"And I guess I also have to say that, you know, as a liberal by heritage, my instinct to support single payer (health care) or government solutions for things like health care. But when your government has been taken over by the medical lobby, the insurance lobby, and various other special interests that are not sick people, it doesn't necessarily mean that single payer (health care) is going to be in your best interest or that a government solution is gonna be in your best interest....And so I'm now kind of witholding judgement until I know more about it and obviously I want, you know, Americans to have health insurance, but I'm not persuaded yet that this bill is the kind of thing we see in Northern Europe where the government has literally made sure everyone gets health care."

This whole link is a great conversation with her. The health care conversation beings at the end, around 43:42.

We need more people like Naomi Wolf on both the left & the right who are willing to take an honest and critical look at what politicians actually do, not just at what they say or imply they'll do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T-jtnifFZo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies