Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,918,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Some of you animal lovers need to grow up.

Hint, animal are NOT HUMAN BEINGS.

I recall many time a bill is introduced for some idiotic cause and the suppporter says. "If it saves 1 childs life, it is worth the cost".

These animals are being used for research. Someday that research might save your child, or mother or maybe even you.

Would you want one of your loved ones to dir because a cure had not been found yet because using animals for research had been stopped?

After reading some of these posts I think some of you would. what a shame.
Yet another person that doesn't get it. We are focusing on the manner in which the animals were treated. The employees were highly abusive to the animals when there was no need to do so. If they need to test on the animals, fine, but don't abuse them along the way for no good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,176,766 times
Quote:
On the contrary, perhaps it is animal-haters that needs to grow up.

Quote:
You're right. Animals are not humans. However, every cat and dog is capable of feeling love, happiness, excitement, playfulness, fear, pain, and so many more emotions. Every cat and dog has a way of communicating their emotions.

Sure, cats don't normally type on message boards... but when's the last time a cat robbed a bank? Raped people? Became a suicide bomber?

Quote:
I recall many time a bill is introduced for some idiotic cause and the suppporter says. "If it saves 1 childs life, it is worth the cost".
That's because it's a popular fallacy that works.

Quote:
These animals are being used for research. Someday that research might save your child, or mother or maybe even you.
Spraying them with bleach is research?

Giving cats a second dose of chemicals that already gave them seizures and nosebleeds hours prior is research?

Cursing at the animals and showing disdain for them... is research?

Shaving a bunny's fur, attaching thousands of ticks to them, then covering the area in a plastic container to prevent them spreading....... is research? ((Let's just ignore that there are ways of raising ticks without using animals))

If reading the summary of their report isn't enough to make you want to vomit, I suggest looking at the picture gallery or watching the movie. If that doesn't make you sick...well, I feel sorry for you.

Quote:
Would you want one of your loved ones to dir because a cure had not been found yet because using animals for research had been stopped?

What an excellent example of a fallacious argument you have there. The main one here is the Improper Transition - If animal testing is allowed to happen, human lives can be saved, so if animal testing is not allowed to happen, human lives cannot be saved.

And you pulled it off with an Appeal to Emotion, to boot!

But, to answer your question about cures being found thanks to animal research. Last I checked, there were very few zoonoses with cats, bunnies, and dogs - and none that I know of are uncured as of right now.

Sorry, but there's really not much that can be said to defend the people of this specific "research" facility. When it come to animal testing and research:

At what point do we give up our humanity in order to save humanity?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
This is truly disgusting. Be warned not to watch the video if these things upset you. Only posting to create more awareness to these horrible acts of cruelty. How people could do this to innocent animals is beyond me. These people should be placed in cages and treated in the same manner in which they did to the animals. How can people do things like this? It's beyond sad that people could do these acts.

Professional Laboratory and Research Services Investigation | PETA.org
Consider the source. PETA is a known sponsor of domestic terrorism. I would not put it past them to create this video using their own facilities and their own staff in an attempt to blame those they oppose. The minds of these PETA fanatics are truly warped.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,888,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
At what point do we give up our humanity in order to save humanity?
My thought exactly.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,923 times
The video is sickening. The woman working there reminds me of a recent video I saw of a nanny abusing a 10 month old child. She needs to go.

But I do have to say that 2 years ago when our 12 year old lab got cancer she had to stay at the vets clinic for a number of days while her leg was amputated and she received chemo. They too used bleach to keep the kennels clean and they only feed the animals twice a day.

I am an animal lover. I have 3 labs that sleep in our bed. As much as I hate it I do believe that animal research, in a way that is as humane as possible, is a necessary thing. I guess if people think it is OK to abort a fetus so as not to inconvenience someone, we need to accept that research is the only way to find cures for diseases. But, I agree this woman is sickening.

Without the research that is currently being done on animals, can you imagine the number of ads you would see on TV for class action suits against the drug companies for products that have actually reached the market?

Please don't shoot me, it's just my opinion. I think PETA raises some good points. But I think their extremism in some instances has hurt their credibility, and that is sad.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,595,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
If they need to test on the animals, fine, but don't abuse them along the way for no good reason.
agreed 100%

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,464,555 times
Quote:

That particular video wasn't about curing a disease. That video was torture. How could it not be torture to give a dog or cat an EXPIRED pain drug and pull their teeth out with pliers?

Curing a disease is entirely different than what they are doing in that video. This was for EXPIRED pain medication to test it's efficacy.

Any moron could tell you that the pain med quality is going to diminish over time. Why the hell have an expiration date on a drug if you don't trust the date on the damn bottle?

There are ways to test the CHEMICAL potency WITHOUT taking a living creature, drugging him with EXPIRED PAIN PILLS and pulling his teeth out with pliers!

That lab is a hell house, why do they have to slam the cage doors on them and kick them around and mistreat them. It's bad enough that they're there they don't have to traumatize them too.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,846,356 times
Quote:

The fact these animals are being used for research does NOT excuse the cruelty and inhumane treatment depicted by their handlers.....

There may be a need to use animals for research in some areas, but we are entitled to expect that to be carried out in a humane fashion.

Maybe it's YOU that needs to grow up if you find deliberate cruelty and abuse inflicted on helpless animals okay

Old 09-09-2010, 11:36 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
All the years on this forum, this is one of the most ignorant posts I've read. So there is no compassion or outrage for humans as described? Last I heard there were a couple wars going on, trillions of dollars being spent and Americans being killed for human rights.
It's not stupid. Several of the leaders of the animal rights movement, particularly the fringe groups like PETA, Sea Shepherd, etc., admit to hating humans and wanting us exterminated.

I will say I support humane treatment of animals, but I never trust PETA, HSUS, etc. They have a history of lying, etc.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
That particular video wasn't about curing a disease. That video was torture. How could it not be torture to give a dog or cat an EXPIRED pain drug and pull their teeth out with pliers?

Curing a disease is entirely different than what they are doing in that video. This was for EXPIRED pain medication to test it's efficacy.

Any moron could tell you that the pain med quality is going to diminish over time. Why the hell have an expiration date on a drug if you don't trust the date on the damn bottle?

There are ways to test the CHEMICAL potency WITHOUT taking a living creature, drugging him with EXPIRED PAIN PILLS and pulling his teeth out with pliers!

That lab is a hell house, why do they have to slam the cage doors on them and kick them around and mistreat them. It's bad enough that they're there they don't have to traumatize them too.
Here's a hint: in the third world, war situations, and other emergencies, there may only be expired drugs available, and it's necessary to know the effectiveness and safety of them at any given time past the expiration date. Stop and think it over carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies