Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,472,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Yeah, being passive really works in real life. I guess it does if you want to get walked all over and be a revolving doormat.

What you are saying is that taking the "high road", when it comes to crazy Islam extremists, is how everyone needs to go.

It's so funny that you and your ilk are more afraid of Republicans and Sarah Palin, and have NO problem hating them but those who would take you and yours out without a blink of and eye - and permanently...you feel the need to protect in some way? They aren't offering SS or welfare or some "poor you" out. They hate you more than you could ever define the word "hate". Which is why they had no problem taking out THEIR OWN on 9/11 and before and after.

Wake up.
so? they can hate me all they want and do all the evil in the world. it still gives me no reason to do evil. it helps no one. it just pushes the ongoing war further.

i'm not afraid of republicans or sarah palin.

it's that whole thinking i'm talking about. the 'you and your ilk' thinking. tribalism, groupthink. we need to get rid of that because that is what fuels things like terrorism and war.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 09-10-2010 at 01:23 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 AM

45 posts, read 61,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
that's not at all what i said. we need to let go of our attachment to these religious identities, our tribalist thinking. all of us. if we let go there will be no terrorism because there will be nothing to fight for, nothing to kill in the name of.

contrary to popular belief, islam and terrorism aren't one and the same. islam is the gun but it's the terrorist that pulls the trigger. but a gun can't kill eith no one to pull the trigger. islam doesn't kill, people use islam as an excuse to kill.
Hey, that sounds just like " guns don't kill people, people kill people" thanks for sticking up for us gun toters! LOL

Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Burning the Koran is perfectly constitutional. That's fine. Go ahead burn it. Realize that the message you're really sending isn't to the terrorists. They'd be happier actually if you do burn the Koran. You're telling the newly arrived shop owner he really isn't welcome. You're telling the college girl that her dreams of being a teacher will be met with suspicion and hatred. You're telling the doctor that his services aren't welcome on the basis of religion. You're telling those who served our nation their service was meaningless. That's really what you're doing.

If it were the Bible, I would state the same thing. Hell, any religious book. I'm an atheist and I feel that somehow there needs to be respect and tolerance for other religions. Tolerance isn't the same as condoning terrorist acts. People often confuse that. Those people don't understand one of the biggest principles of our nation.

It's about time we set aside our religious differences and realize that we're a nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.
Needs to be repeated.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,508,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Burning the Koran is perfectly constitutional. That's fine. Go ahead burn it. Realize that the message you're really sending isn't to the terrorists. They'd be happier actually if you do burn the Koran. You're telling the newly arrived shop owner he really isn't welcome. You're telling the college girl that her dreams of being a teacher will be met with suspicion and hatred. You're telling the doctor that his services aren't welcome on the basis of religion. You're telling those who served our nation their service was meaningless. That's really what you're doing.

If it were the Bible, I would state the same thing. Hell, any religious book. I'm an atheist and I feel that somehow there needs to be respect and tolerance for other religions. Tolerance isn't the same as condoning terrorist acts. People often confuse that. Those people don't understand one of the biggest principles of our nation.

It's about time we set aside our religious differences and realize that we're a nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.
I'm an atheist as well, and I politely disagree with you on several grounds.

But the only one I will address right now is your belief that an idea should be respected simply because the idea calls itself a religion.

I don't believe Islam, or Christianity for that matter, is an idea that is worthy of respect. They are both at best ridicules, and at worst dangerous. By respecting them you legitimize them.

The evolutionary battlefield of ideas suggest some theories need to die - and yet you are artificially helping keep them alive by pretending they are due respect. I think religious ideas are subject to the same ridicule as non-religious ideas, if they lack a basis in common sense we shouldn't pretend to appreciate them. Discuss.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:37 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,970,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Obama's going the Neville Chamberlain appeasement route with the radical Islamic fascist.
And which Islamic radical fascist may that be then? Oh,do you refer to the one billion plus Islamic world?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
And which Islamic radical fascist may that be then? Oh,do you refer to the one billion plus Islamic world?
Perhaps you didn't hear, but some Muslims were threatening violence if a guy burnt a Koran. Those Muslims - the ones that think its cool to kill someone if they disrespect Islam - those are the Islamic radical fascist I referred too.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I want to publicly demonstrate my contempt for that philosophy.

I would love it if other people mocked Islam as well, but I wouldn't expect that. I simply refuse to forfeit my right to express myself or be forced to accommodate the delicate sensibilities of Islamic fascist.
Very well..but what about those of us that get about a bit in the world and are exposed to the anger of some Muslim folk..just so others a world away can feel good expressing themselves in the name of free speech,and in many cases have no idea what they are on about.
Would have thought preacher man and the right of politics would have enough local issues on their plate to sort ..

Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Very well..but what about those of us that get about a bit in the world and are exposed to the anger of some Muslim folk..just so others a world away can feel good expressing themselves in the name of free speech,and in many cases have no idea what they are on about.
Would have thought preacher man and the right of politics would have enough local issues on their plate to sort ..
Sorry friend, but some principles are worth fighting for. I'm afraid I won't forfeit my right to free speech to appease the Islamic extremist.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
I agree, except there's no question that I have the right to mock Christianity free from concern of Christians demonstrating irrational violence.
Mock for your life is worth as an individual,not a problem,but if in a position to influence others to incite hatred,often folk whom are easily lead which in turn can be a threat to national security for starters,then there is a question mark.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Mock for your life is worth as an individual,not a problem,but if in a position to influence others to incite hatred,often folk whom are easily lead which in turn can be a threat to national security for starters,then there is a question mark.
The threat to our national security comes when the general tells American's to give up their right to free speech to appease our enemies. After all, what are we paying him to fight for, if not our right to be free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies