Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times

Advertisements

Why do we continue to send aid to countries, especially those that hate the US and corrupt governments, when the US has so many people without jobs and losing their homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 10:06 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Why do we continue to send aid to countries, especially those that hate the US and corrupt governments, when the US has so many people without jobs and losing their homes?
You probably won't get an answer, because there is no good answer. I have not even seen one budget that even proposed cutting foreign aid. Eric Cantor proposed put the Israeli aid into the defense budget so it could be hidden and no body would see it. Slimeball.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Good question Ellwood. No one knows just how much foreign aid is given out every year, due to covert missions and other black ops. The U.S. public would be incensed, i'm sure, if we knew how much of our tax dollars benefit bad people.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,415 times
Politics. It's a dirty, expensive business.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:13 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,370 times
American politicans seem to america has to help out every foreign country on earth .When america needs help you think we are going to get it ?? Nope not gonna happen.I don't think you'll get an answer cause everyone has their own political agenda.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:18 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,137,406 times
I'm sure you know that foreign aid constitutes less than 1% of the federal budget, and the number one and number two recipients are Iraq and Afghanistan, where they money goes toward things like teacher training, agriculture, clean water, etc, which help stabilize the region and keep our troops safer and aid them in completing their missions. Helping people around the world to have a better life allows us to have a better life as well.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:19 AM

6,119 posts, read 4,611,100 times
And yet there are people who get enraged when we dare extend a safety net to the least among us in our own country for ANYTHING. Many times it's the same people who want to be the white knight throwing away money on other countries that could care less about our well being.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I'm sure you know that foreign aid constitutes less than 1% of the federal budget, and the number one and number two recipients are Iraq and Afghanistan, where they money goes toward things like teacher training, agriculture, clean water, etc, which help stabilize the region and keep our troops safer and aid them in completing their missions. Helping people around the world to have a better life allows us to have a better life as well.
Well we would not have to worry about keeping our troops safe there if they were not there to begin with....bring them home.

If we did not have to borrow the 1% then I may have less of a problem dealing with it. Let them borrow the money themselves. Most of our foreign aid has more to do with political policy than with humanitarian policy. I.E.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,598 times
It's pretty ridiculous that the US borrows money to then hand over that same money to other nations. Then we have to pay back that borrowed money with interest. Why don't those other countries just go and borrow the money themselves? Oh, because then they would have to pay it back, not us.

Here's how stupid it really is: We borrow money from China to protect Taiwan from China.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
ts lke aid to fight poverty i thsi country. Politcally driven.80% of poverty is confined to two rural areas of the coutnry. But 80% of aid goes to urban areas and the two with 80% of poverty gets 20%.Why;because of politcal power that means inflence. That is what we are buying with that aid.But I would say that much more of foreign aid actaully goes to feed people in extreme poaverty copared to here in US.Otherwsie no real difference.Even in this country the BUsh?Clinotn aid to poverty is directed from private foundations givng because they recognise that politics will always control the aid;no matter if foreign or domestic;besdies actually consuming much of the funds available for administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies