Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
so you see no connection between how Muslims are being treated now and how the Japanese were treated during WW2? hell, why not just round up all the Muslims and stick them in internment camps, American citizenship be damned. it's all guilt by association, right?

and people here are saying they should convert to another religion if they don't want to be persecuted. well, I guess the Jews should do the same. yes, the persecuted should change their core values so the bigoted people around them can leave them alone . pity I can't change my skin color to white so the racists can leave me alone, but then again, I wouldn't want to. let's just throw out the 1st Amendment and force everyone to convert to Christianity so we don't have any more of those pesky Muslims in America
Didn't you know? If you were a victim of hate crime because of your skin color, it's all your parents' thought. They should have thought a little bit before producing children of a minority race.

These people are why I consider myself Jewish before I consider myself American. I wasn't raised that way, it's a product of my environment. My children will be raised the same way. Kids will tease for anything, but when you have ADULTS being complacent in the teasing, you learn from a young age that you are not welcome.

And there is no radical Jewish group wanting to bring down the US. Do we really want to push American kids who belong to a religion that DOES have some radical factions into minimizing their American nationality?

Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
When I was a kid around 6 to 9 years old, my best friend who lived four houses down was black. We played football, soldier, games, went swimming and stuff. All I knew was he was John and my best friend. Then certain grownups started telling me what a "n****r" was, even as a kid then I thought they were wrong.

Kids can be cruel by nature sometimes, but a lot of hate they learn is from grownups.
Kids also have nearly unlimited access to technology as parents use it as a babysitter. They read, they watch tv, they do internet searches. Information is everywhere as is disinformation. Bullying is wrong but it is part of nature that man has not been able to overcome.

All species have a tendency to run off those they see as a threat to their survival. Don't be percieved as a threat by exibiting behavior contrary to the threat and it increases acceptance.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Please link where I have attributed "hate". Be specific. Are they all American citizens? I don't know, do you?

I think your "hate" is a projection of what you feel for those whom disagree with you. How does that wink work for you?
this thread was about Muslim children in a post 9/11 world. yes, most of them are likely American. the girl in the article was. that one child had more intelligence and grace than most of the bigots of this thread combined. we need far more people like her in this country [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-12-2010 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-12-2010, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Sadly American/non-Muslim parents manage to brutally kill their own children too. Let's not forget about them. Killing ones own children for bizarre reasons is not unique to Muslims.
Only in Islam parents killing the children for the sake of "honor" is not bizarre or rare. They kill them because of the religion. It's not about mental illness or drug addiction - it's the religion itself.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
this thread was about Muslim children in a post 9/11 world. yes, most of them are likely American. the girl in the article was. that one child had more intelligence and grace than most of the bigots of this thread combined. we need far more people like her in this country and less like you
And my stating that 9/11 children who lost parents as bearing the burden contrary to the presented article is exhibiting "hate" how? Because I disagree with you?

Far less people like me in this country.....if that is not a hateful statement and a personal attack I don't know what is.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
GASP! you mean Muslims are the only people who kill their children for ridiculous reasons?

there are Christian parents who kill their children b/c they believe their child was possessed by demons. doesn't mean all Christians do so.

and yes, I realize honor killings are common in the ME. but not all Muslims engage in it anymore than all Christians kill their demon possessed children. once again, you're painting an entire religion by the actions of a few extremists.
No Christian has killed a Muslim child in the USA. None - the Muslim children in the USA have far more to fear from their fellow Muslims than they have to fear from anyone else.

Any Muslim child in the USA who dares try to live a "modern" life with no hijab, or wants to party with friends must fear death, but they would be killed by Muslims.

In Islam the penalty for apostacy is death.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Please link where I have attributed "hate". Be specific. Are they all American citizens? I don't know, do you?

I think your "hate" is a projection of what you feel for those whom disagree with you. How does that wink work for you?
I hate people who hate American values, sure. You fall into that category. Unfortunately, your profile is set to friends so I cannot link to specific posts, but your constant rambling about the "dhimmification" and "Sharia law" as if that's even a threat in the US is showing quite hatred to the .5% of Americans who are Muslim. Though I envy them in a way- I wish I was able to drum up such powerful fear with such a small population!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:23 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Kids also have nearly unlimited access to technology as parents use it as a babysitter. They read, they watch tv, they do internet searches. Information is everywhere as is disinformation. Bullying is wrong but it is part of nature that man has not been able to overcome.

All species have a tendency to run off those they see as a threat to their survival. Don't be percieved as a threat by exibiting behavior contrary to the threat and it increases acceptance.

I am not talking about bullying, I have had that happen. Like the two kids who made me eat crayons in the bathroom in 4th grade. Or being ridiculed for wearing glasses.

I am talking about kids don't learn to hate each other as a group based on color or religion until they are taught to. Any kid at 6 years old or whatever is more interested in fun and fun with other kids than singling them out for hatred because of color or some religion.

One of the good things the UN actually is doing from what I remember in a article is summer camp for kids in Lebanon I think, some muslim extremist are trying to stop it because it threatens their ability to win the minds of these kids.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:33 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by LifelongMOgal
Oh just stop being ridiculous! No one has suggested it is acceptable to bully any children Muslim or otherwise. Just because one doesn't adhere to the "pity factor" is not condoning of bullying. (You have to really screw up a post for me to defend theliberalvoice!)

That Muslim children bear the burden of the terrorist attacks upon this nation any more than any other childen is, IMO, an attempt to create a special protected class. If moderate Muslims would speak out significantly more loudly against terrorism and sharia perhaps there would be more understanding for Muslim-Americans and their children alike.

I stick to my previous statement that it is the "9/11 children" who lost mothers and fathers in those attacks or later as a direct result of work related to them, are the ones burdened. Yet, not one one liberal in this entire thread is willing to acknowledge agreement. I wonder why? Must be agenda driven...no?
I am not being rediculous. Liberalvoice was implying that muslim children are somehow more deserving of harassment than non-muslim kids. So I suppose because the parents don't speak up as much we should turn the other way when their children are harassed? Doesn't sound cool in my book.

And sure, I agree that the 9/11 kids have a huge burden. It's horrible what happened to them. But don't paint with such a broad brush. There are over a billion muslims around the world, and they're not all terrorists--nor do they all condone terrorism. And no child should be ignored because of harassment based on their background or religious affiliation.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Only in Islam parents killing the children for the sake of "honor" is not bizarre or rare. They kill them because of the religion. It's not about mental illness or drug addiction - it's the religion itself.
It is actually quite bizarre and rare. If it wasn't, then you wouldn't really hear about it. We even get news reports of it when it happens in the Middle East. It happens more often in countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Iran (state rather than family in that case), but not typically in Turkey, Tunisia, Jordan, Lebanon, Indonesia, etc etc etc. In Pakistan specifically, it is something that happens in rural, uneducated, tribal areas.

The Islamic world is culturally split on the issue. Queen Rania of Jordan takes on hardliners over honour killings - Telegraph Queen Rania of Jordan, one of my personal heroes, has made it her life's work to improve the treatment and education of women in the Muslim world. She is eloquent, multilingual, and is rarely seen with any kind of covering. In this article, it covers how she is working to increase the penalty. What she is facing is opposition from tribal leadership.

Quote:
A study has found that nearly all the perpetrators questioned were aware that what they had done was a breach of Islamic as well as state law.
It is a CULTURAL thing, not a Muslim thing. There are 5000 honor killings every year for a population of around 1 billion. It is something that absolutely needs to stop and be focused on- and thankfully there are many people in the Muslim world who are working to educate and change the system.

But let's look at it for what it is: a bastardization of Islam as a shield for domestic abusers. Over 1.5 million women in the USA are abused by their family each year. At the last statistic I could find, almost 6000 women of those 1.5 million are the victims of homicide each year.

Domestic violence is a WORLD WIDE problem that has it's own unique set of demographics. Unfortunately, some men in the Muslim world have realized that they can gain legitimacy for their homicides by trying to link it with Islam. This goes against Islamic law but has been adopted into cultural law in several Islamic states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies