Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 02:19 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,264 times

Advertisements

An interesting article in the Chicago Tribune today...

Muslim teens grow up in shadow of terrorist attacks - chicagotribune.com

Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,730 times
Sucks to be them. I could not care less if their life is made more difficult by belonging to a 'religion' that is antithetical to everything Western Civilization represents. Let them convert to some other religion if life is so damn difficult. Or move to Iran. I hear they do Islam really good there.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Hopefully the new generation can pull their religion away from its radical, violent laden thing with "infidels" and others they disagree with and especially their harsh, violent attitudes towards their wives and daughters.

I'm confident that many of those in the western nations can and will do it when they get a taste of a generally more tolerant, pluralistic society. Particulalry the females.

One hell of a generation and gender gap for them to deal with within their own culture and families.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 PM

774 posts, read 1,165,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Sucks to be them. I could not care less if their life is made more difficult by belonging to a 'religion' that is antithetical to everything Western Civilization represents. Let them convert to some other religion if life is so damn difficult. Or move to Iran. I hear they do Islam really good there.
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Ever heard of The Constitution of the United States of America? I guess this doesn't mean anything to you. Perhaps it's YOU that needs to move to another country, where there are restrictions on religion. This country was founded on a document that is supposed to protect us from people like you.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Blah, blah, blah. Christians, Jews, Hindus, and every other major religion must be tolerant of Islam yet muslims aren't held to the same standard.

Sorry, but if you align yourself with an anti-freedom religion/political philosophy, then I don't really feel sorry for you if you feel some heat for it.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:22 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
I faced a lot of similar things growing up as a Jew in the South. I've posted about it many times. It wouldn't surprise me if some of these kids grow up to hate America. It's something that took me therapy to avoid. You can't treat a whole group of people as punching bags for your own fears- you screw up a whole generation. That's what we're seeing in France now.

9/11 in some ways was great for me. Suddenly being a Jew wasn't the worst thing. The harassment stopped- they were too busy focusing on the Muslims than the money-grubbing Christ killers. They made sure to tell me I was still going to Hell and leave nasty notes in my mailbox, but it wasn't nearly as bad as before.

I hope these kids can find safe spaces and use their position as a way to teach others. I'm pleased that the girls in that article are proud of who they are and are using this experience to correct misinformation in their peer groups.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
As a woman, it's a little scary to think of their right of freedom of religious expression. If we can be threatened out of a Koran burning, which is also a right, how long before we're threatened for allowing women their rights. Let's hope that document protects us.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
So, the Chicago Tribune pulls the victim card, for what purpose other than to control the narrative in order to protect the back side of their King of Chicago. I can hardly wait for the movie. Oh wait, we're all in it.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
I guess they'll grow up alongside the children of illegals in the US.

Our next generation of adults living today in the shadows...wonder what other group will join them.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
The hatred against Muslims is frightening. This country was founded on freedom of religion and a live-and-let-live ideal. Yet, it's clear that many people want to have a holy war against Muslims.

It's up to those of us who aren't full of hate to speak out against this dangerous movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies