Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I've never understood the need to pass a political litmus test before one can be a romantic interest or friend. I mean, in the great scheme of things, I think the priorities should rank along these lines:

1) Chemistry (Well, duh)
2) Consideration/Ethics
3) Sense of humor
4) Personal responsibility
5) Shared interests
6) Everything else, including attitudes towards dogs, cats, and politics.

Now that's not to say that your political views aren't important. My convictions are pretty strong. At the same time, I think it's more important to seek out those things that make a strong foundation for a relationship--and who they vote for isn't one of them.

I've known any number of couples who held politically diametrically views. I am personally friends with any number of people that make for a pleasant exchange of opinions over glasses of wine, rather than treat politics as some kind of blood sport.

My feelings EXACTLY cpg - which is why I didn't bother to answer the OP seriously.

Anyone who thinks they should choose who to date (or even marry) based on their political points of view is selling themselves (and potential partners) very short in my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My feelings EXACTLY cpg - which is why I didn't bother to answer the OP seriously.

Anyone who thinks they should choose who to date (or even marry) based on their political points of view is selling themselves (and potential partners) very short.
I have to disagree. I think it wise for two people to know each other's stance on abortion before anyone takes a stitch of clothing off. Birth control can fail.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I have to disagree. I think it wise for two people to know each other's stance on abortion before anyone takes a stitch of clothing off. Birth control can fail.
Well of course, that's true.

But my point was that people with opposing political views can still respect one another and have very successful, interesting marriages or relationships. If you only date people exactly like you with all the same viewpoints life can get kind of boring!

Old 09-13-2010, 05:01 PM

55 posts, read 93,440 times
Any advise for Arnold/Maria couples???

Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Well of course, that's true.

But my point was that people with opposing political views can still respect one another and have very successful, interesting marriages or relationships. If you only date people exactly like you with all the same viewpoints life can get kind of boring!
It's a matter of degree, with me personally. I'm pretty rabid left-wing on social causes. Then there are things I'm fairly conservative on and things on which I sit the fence, like immigration. If someone cares a LOT about immigration one way or the other, I could see his points and, yes, it would be an interesting conversation. Likewise, the issues I'm conservative on aren't high on my agenda. I'm not going to base my vote on those. If someone is passionate about it or takes a more liberal stance, meh, whatever.

But if someone is rabidly right-wing on the things on which I'm rabidly left-wing, look out, because I donate to, work with, and support organizations I believe in. If a man is against embryonic stem cell research, he's going to have a hard time with certain aspects of my career. Stuff like that is tough to reconcile if two people are passionate about their beliefs and put a lot of effort into supporting their causes.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:

Anyone who thinks they should choose who to date (or even marry) based on their political points of view is selling themselves (and potential partners) very short in my opinion
What's more, everybody I have ever met who judged others by political beliefs were rather tedious, joyless souls themselves. Not exactly the kind of people you'd want at a dinner party or in the bedroom.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:07 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Do they exist?

'Cause if they do, I've never met them.
Me either. (Thank goodness. )

Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Well all the ones I came across were in a north eastern school. They were running from probably the same things you were. Its a lovely combo of sweet and liberal. I love a southern liberal friend or foe they have a charm of their own.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What's more, everybody I have ever met who judged others by political beliefs were rather tedious, joyless souls themselves. Not exactly the kind of people you'd want at a dinner party or in the bedroom.
Poor you.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Do they exist?

'Cause if they do, I've never met them.

yeah, they exist. i associate them with the old, leafy pre-WWII neighborhoods of university towns in the south, like Columbia, Clemson, Athens, Chapel Hill, Oxford.

Wandering among the locals of these places you run into a lot of people who are traditional southerners, but also quite liberal. Around the middle of the income scale, you're talking Volvo-driving NPR-listening types. Higher on the income scale you start to notice that these folks are very philanthropic, or they make an effort to be seen as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies