Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:40 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,992,464 times

Advertisements

This is a sad day for 'justice' in Canada and the United States, as clearly there is none in this instance.

Canada can be ashamed in part because it gave up one of its own citizens due economic threats from the United States. Talk about a bad precedent.

The United States might regret having initiated this prosecution in the first place, certainly for being an arrogant bully within the international community. In situations such as this not much different than a thug.

Mr. Emery will have to deal with his conscience, but not for the reason you might first think. He is in prison for deeply held beliefs, which he in part renounced to receive a more lenient sentence, as being threatened with very draconian ones.

Most of all it should be clearly understood that marijuana is no different than any other natural God-given plant, only as all others unique unto itself. As such, and because in its case a portal to true knowledge, it is a blessing to mankind.

Anyone, any government that seeks to lie about this, to discourage or prohibit its free use, to commit the crime of throwing innocent people in their jails for same, is evil.

1) Local News | Canada's 'Prince of Pot' sentenced to five years for selling millions of cannabis seeds | Seattle Times Newspaper

2) 'Prince of Pot' Marc Emery Sentenced To Five Years in US Prison | Cannabis Culture Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM

475 posts, read 571,870 times
Marijuana is pretty cool. I don't partake of it, but it's a very useful plant.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
until the laws of this country are changed, marijuana is still illegal, as is selling it. and since canada has an extradition treaty with the united states, canada was obligated to send the person to the US for trial if the US could show cause.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,551,296 times
America has a draconian policy on marijuana, I seriously doubt Canada does. When you have a police state mentality and spend over 600 billion dollars on defense, and its outliers (War On Drugs, etc..) it becomes a cash cow. Until the U.S. government makes its sale legal and taxable it will remain illegal along with prison sentences that dont match the "crime". Maybe California could lead the way in November.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,802,357 times
Marc Emery is the "William Wallace" of marijuana advocacy and should be knighted, rather than blighted.
Absolutely shameful to see just how hungry the government is, to get their pound of flesh. Shame on Canada too.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:26 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,035,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
until the laws of this country are changed, marijuana is still illegal, as is selling it. and since canada has an extradition treaty with the united states, canada was obligated to send the person to the US for trial if the US could show cause.
Stop and listen to yourself. You do not want to set the precedent that a law is right just because it's the law. Marijuana criminalization is evil, and attitudes like yours only enable it.

It's like saying "By law we are required to turn over Jews to the Nazis, so until the law changes we are obligated and will continue to do so."

Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,383,859 times
I went to a bar in the heart of Vancouver BC a few years ago that was non smoking. I stepped outside to indulge in that most lethal of approved substances- nicotine. And I felt like a freak. There were at least 20 young club goers outside, a calm scene, most of them sharing joints. Anyone who knows marijuana social culture knows that its criminalization is absurd. I don't smoke reefer but I will vigorously defend people's right to. In a nation plagued by various violences, ranging from domestic to driving, linked to alcohol use, it's INCREDIBLY absurd that we demonize and criminalize marijuana use to the extent that we do.

If I had a teenage child in American society, I would be far more concerned with their involvemnet in binge drinking parties than their expermentation with a j. Just saying.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Stop and listen to yourself. You do not want to set the precedent that a law is right just because it's the law. Marijuana criminalization is evil, and attitudes like yours only enable it.

It's like saying "By law we are required to turn over Jews to the Nazis, so until the law changes we are obligated and will continue to do so."
bad analogy. personally i dont care anymore is mj is legalized or not. legalize it, and then tax it like cigarettes for all i care.

back in the 60's the hippies were also yelling that mj should be legalized, and they also said that when they get into power they would legalize mj. well that was 45 years ago, and there are enough hippies from the old days that are in power now, and yet mj is still not legal. do you think they may have some insight as to why it wasnt made legal?

as i said, if you want mj to be legal, then work to get the law changed, that is YOUR civic responsibility. as i said personally i dont care one way or the other anymore.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,416,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
bad analogy. personally i dont care anymore is mj is legalized or not. legalize it, and then tax it like cigarettes for all i care.

back in the 60's the hippies were also yelling that mj should be legalized, and they also said that when they get into power they would legalize mj. well that was 45 years ago, and there are enough hippies from the old days that are in power now, and yet mj is still not legal. do you think they may have some insight as to why it wasnt made legal?

as i said, if you want mj to be legal, then work to get the law changed, that is YOUR civic responsibility. as i said personally i dont care one way or the other anymore.
Two words,

Money talks

Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,881,898 times
So if a drug cartel sets up shop in Mexico, he should go free to? Okay... the canadian is nothing more than a druglord in Canada... he got what he deserve, he knew the laws but it didn't stop him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies