Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, the older and wiser I get, the more conservative I have become and I voted for Clinton, twice. Now I see all the damage he did, that I was too uneducated to know any better about back then.
What did you think of the Republican years of George W Bush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
People become more conservative once they accumulate something worth "conserving". When you are poor and broke, of course you don't care who pays the bills as long as you get yours.
What a silly post.
I have lots of stuff, more than I need. Two houses, two cars, live on two continents, contribute as I choose to the organizations I choose like a local food bank, Doctors without Borders and Mercy Corps. I have lots, I'm liberal. Not conservative.

Speak for yourself, obviously most of the posters (thus far) on this thread, disagree with you and your assessment.

Things are just things.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What a silly post.
I have lots of stuff, more than I need. Two houses, two cars, live on two continents, contribute as I choose to the organizations I choose like a local food bank, Doctors without Borders and Mercy Corps. I have lots, I'm liberal. Not conservative.

Speak for yourself, obviously most of the posters (thus far) on this thread, disagree with you and your assessment.

Things are just things.
So, very, very true.

Perhaps the difference is that the Liberals are not owned by their possessions.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
What a silly post.

Things are just things.
Spot on! That's the problem with sterotypes---they're often wrong.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:21 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
It wasn't age for me, it was Jimmy Carter.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I am getting closer and closer to 50 years old and as each year goes by I get more and more conservative in my beliefs in social issues. I go to the shopping mall and see lots of people in their teens and 20s hanging out and so many of them are so sloppy and uncouth. I see the more formal serious looking younger people who seem to live the life encouraged by the conservative principals and I respect them more. The conservatives seem to have more self respect and discipline. The ones who live a conservative lifestyle and follow the ideals of political conservatives seem to have it more together.

So what do you think about respecting conservative philosphies more as you get older?
It's called hardening of the attitudes and, for many, it is a natural consequence of getting older.

I am 65 and have become more conservative only about passing judgment on the actions of others.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What did you think of the Republican years of George W Bush?

GW, was not a Conservative Republican. He was more Progressive than everyone is led to think. No matter what we chose, we were going to get the same thing. One in slow motion and the other on steroids. Slowly getting us to the cliff, or full steam off the cliff, your choice.

Look at McCain, another Progressive. That guy needs to go, and take Graham with him!

I'm a Ron Paul and now his son Rand, guy. That is my idea of a 21st Century Conservatives.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:37 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
I am getting closer and closer to 50 years old and as each year goes by I get more and more conservative in my beliefs in social issues. I go to the shopping mall and see lots of people in their teens and 20s hanging out and so many of them are so sloppy and uncouth. I see the more formal serious looking younger people who seem to live the life encouraged by the conservative principals and I respect them more. The conservatives seem to have more self respect and discipline. The ones who live a conservative lifestyle and follow the ideals of political conservatives seem to have it more together.

So what do you think about respecting conservative philosphies more as you get older?
I think what you have described is merely becoming more critical of others as you get older, and justifying it by saying you are becoming more conservative. I think that is fairly common. I have always been liberal, and become more so as I get older. It is very easy to judge others using ones own values and principles, but I try very hard not to do that. I am not perfect, and do the best I can, I'm certainly not going to judge others until I am perfect.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 AM

646 posts, read 393,990 times
wow, that was horrific. I can see all the stinky twirly people dancing barefoot to this pathetic song. jesus. that's 4 minutes of life I'll never get back.

Quote:
Greg Brown has some great lyrics in his song "Two Little Feet" from the album Further In:
we have no knowledge and so we have stuff and
stuff with no knowledge is never enough to get you there
it just won't get you there

Greg Brown -- Lyrics for FURTHER IN

Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:

I guess it depends on what you consider liberal vs conservative. At 60 I find myself even more liberal than I was at 20. Though I don't care for the current fashion trends among young people, I can't say that it affects my political stance in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies