Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 AM

119 posts, read 202,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You can support one or the other but you don't have to support both. I don't like it when our troops are used to force people to support the war. It's wrong.

no one is forcing you to support the war. I agree you can support the troops and not the war ( i happen to support both)

so maybe my last response came out wrong. Do you think we are supporting our troops when we continue to say in public what they are doing doesnt matter? isnt working?? it is working..yet we protest what they are doing and show more sympathy for the enemy than we do our men and women in Iraq. Just because you dont like our president doesnt mean you can stand behind our military. Our troops arent being used to support the war, I am simply saying if you care so much about them why dont you show them that what they are doing is not in vain..

You know why I have respect for our president? because he stands behind the decision he made. Our men are dying for it, shouldnt we show them our respect by reporting the good thats happening?? instead of just focusing on incorrect statements about this being a war for oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 11:34 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texcali32 View Post
who cares if the youth will be happy about paying for it. we all pay for the generations before us. There is a lot you will pay for that will have no benefit to you personally so cry me a river.
Part of the problem is Social Security is a pyramid system. At one time, when the number of retirees was low compared to working folks, it was sustainable. With babyboomers retiring, a decreasing workforce, and greater longevity in age, it will reach a point where the youth of today are paying a MUCH HIGHER % of their income for the older folks compared to previous generations. Add to that the wars/tax cuts (future tax increases) have greatly increased the debt, this will also result in a huge increase in future taxes on the youth of today. You cannot simply continue passing it along to future generations b/c the interest on the debt is always currently due (if you stop paying interest- also known as T-Bills- at any time the entire monetary system and economy will fall). Because we are relying more and more on these debt payments, the future amount the current youth will ahve to pay will be a higher % than those today. SO it isn't about paying for the generations before us, it is paying a much larger and dispprortionate amount compared to the generation before it. To pay for all this debt, which the youth of tommorow have no choice but to do, my guess is they will HAVE to look to other areas of spending to make up for to keep taxes semi-reasonable.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Quote:
no one is forcing you to support the war. I agree you can support the troops and not the war ( i happen to support both)

so maybe my last response came out wrong. Do you think we are supporting our troops when we continue to say in public what they are doing doesnt matter? isnt working?? it is working..yet we protest what they are doing and show more sympathy for the enemy than we do our men and women in Iraq. Just because you dont like our president doesnt mean you can stand behind our military. Our troops arent being used to support the war, I am simply saying if you care so much about them why dont you show them that what they are doing is not in vain..

You know why I have respect for our president? because he stands behind the decision he made. Our men are dying for it, shouldnt we show them our respect by reporting the good thats happening?? instead of just focusing on incorrect statements about this being a war for oil?
Who exactly is the enemy in Iraq that anyone is showing sympathy for? The innoccent civilians? No one is showing sympathy for the cold blooded killers, so I call strawman on that. In addition, if a president has made a decision that one believes will hurt the country and ultimately require more and more troops if it is continued, then yes, opposing that policy can be more supportive of the troops than blindly following a policy one does not agree with.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 PM

392 posts, read 1,859,118 times
Quote:

I feel the best way to support our troops is to protest the war and get them home again. Just because our president chooses to hide behind "support our troops" and tells us God tells him to do things doesn't mean we should blindly follow him. The Vietnam War became increasing unpopular and was widely protested before they pulled our troops out of there. Do you think we should have continued that war also?

Exactly one of the reasons I find not to respect him. He continues to let our troops die to prove a point that we already know was a lie.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Part of the problem is Social Security is a pyramid system. At one time, when the number of retirees was low compared to working folks, it was sustainable. With babyboomers retiring, a decreasing workforce, and greater longevity in age, it will reach a point where the youth of today are paying a MUCH HIGHER % of their income for the older folks compared to previous generations. Add to that the wars/tax cuts (future tax increases) have greatly increased the debt, this will also result in a huge increase in future taxes on the youth of today. You cannot simply continue passing it along to future generations b/c the interest on the debt is always currently due (if you stop paying interest- also known as T-Bills- at any time the entire monetary system and economy will fall). Because we are relying more and more on these debt payments, the future amount the current youth will ahve to pay will be a higher % than those today. SO it isn't about paying for the generations before us, it is paying a much larger and dispprortionate amount compared to the generation before it. To pay for all this debt, which the youth of tommorow have no choice but to do, my guess is they will HAVE to look to other areas of spending to make up for to keep taxes semi-reasonable.
I happen to think this war on terror is and should be just as important to our youth. what we do now in this war will determine your future, the kind of country you get to live in. You obviously think too much is being spent on it...I am not an expert on how much this war should or shouldnt cost. are you? you dont agree with it so I guess any amount is too much.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Who exactly is the enemy in Iraq that anyone is showing sympathy for? The innoccent civilians? No one is showing sympathy for the cold blooded killers, so I call strawman on that. In addition, if a president has made a decision that one believes will hurt the country and ultimately require more and more troops if it is continued, then yes, opposing that policy can be more supportive of the troops than blindly following a policy one does not agree with.

no not the inncocent civilians..give me a break. btw some of those "innoccent civilians" arent so innoccent.

you believe his decision was wrong. I dont but thats not the point anymore. We are there, we have to finish it and no I dont believe you are supporting the troops by publicly opposing something that we cannot go back and do over. Move on from here, support them in their fight to finish the job and they will get to come home.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Exactly one of the reasons I find not to respect him. He continues to let our troops die to prove a point that we already know was a lie.

what did he lie about???

Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
what did he lie about???
"The war will cost about $50 billion."

Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
"The war will cost about $50 billion."
yeah cause we should all know up front exactly how much a war is going to cost, not knowing what will happen and how long we may be there...anything else??

Old 10-25-2007, 03:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
It's okay to be off by a bit, or even by quite a bit. There is always a margin of error.

It's not okay to be off by $1.95 TRILLION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies