Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 AM

737 posts, read 1,583,403 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see it? Anyone have comments?
It bothers me A LOT that thousands of dolphins are slaughtered in Japan every year and its allowed. It bothers me that Sea World San Diego just applied for a permit to get a Pilot Whale from Japan. Just bothered and looking for others, too.

Last edited by Bo; 09-22-2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: This controversial thread was moved from the San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 AM

860 posts, read 2,056,836 times
I saw it and had to turn away at times. Makes me ashamed to be part of the human race. It wasn't long ago that it was common to see hundreds and even thousands of dolphins in the waters of S. E. Alsaka. Now it's a special treat to see even one or two. There seems to be evil greed everywhere you turn and it's destroying the whole planet.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Did anyone see it? Anyone have comments?
It bothers me A LOT that thousands of dolphins are slaughtered in Japan every year and its allowed. It bothers me that Sea World San Diego just applied for a permit to get a Pilot Whale from Japan. Just bothered and looking for others, too.
As bad as it is....
I'm more concerned about problems with humans (trafficking, abuse, etc)

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
As bad as it is....
I'm more concerned about problems with humans (trafficking, abuse, etc)
It's the very demented type of individual that woul slaughter an amazing animal such as a dolphin that would partake in the other heinous activities that you mention.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
Why is "slaughtering" dolphins any different than capturing millions of tuna every year for people to eat- because they're "cute"??

Why do people get so wound up because Sea World has killer whales, but they don't seem to mind the millions of other fish, penguins, etc., that are on display in the same facility? Is it because Free Willy was a nice movie?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Why is "slaughtering" dolphins any different than capturing millions of tuna every year for people to eat- because they're "cute"??

Why do people get so wound up because Sea World has killer whales, but they don't seem to mind the millions of other fish, penguins, etc., that are on display in the same facility? Is it because Free Willy was a nice movie?
This kinda stuff comes from folks that purchase their "meat" in fine wrapped packages at the grocery store.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:00 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Because the kill is done delberately it should be stopped and don't forget, there are many more dolphins killed by commercial fisherman every year. BTW, this is done in more than just one town in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgbNUqNXyY0

Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 PM

923 posts, read 1,503,135 times
I saw The Cove, it bothered me too. Usually hunters and fishermen are very involved in conservation, but the japanese don't seem to have any sense of it, they just take as much as they can get.
For those asking why dolphins are different than any other fish, they are extremely intelligent and self-aware. Watch the documentary and you'll see. And for what it's worth, I'm a conservative, not a tree hugger...and The Cove bothered me.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
There is an excellent South Park episode about the issue;

South Park Episode Player - South Park: Whale Whores

Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM

737 posts, read 1,583,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

That is a major problem and it goes right along with the dolphin slaughter. If we continue fishing the way we do, our seas will have no fish in 2040 I read. We are KILLING the oceans in every way.

Those killer whales are given anti depressants and antacids as well. Bet Sea World doesn't tell their guests that in their pamphlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies