Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Don't worry, in a couple of generations of eating Mercury filled dolphins, the Japanese will be a bunch of babbling idiots and won't even remember their names, let alone how to hunt and kill dolphins.
Sadly the hunt has been going on for generation's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 06:19 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Sea Shepherd is a terrorist organization, and the TV series Whale Wars captured them lying multiple times on film.
Wow To throw terrorist organization around like that demeans the real terrorist. The ones that kill people. I guess I just cant call someone a terrorist for protecting wild life. They dont blow things up, They dont even use violence.

I am not an Eco person. I dont put trees before people, but we should all be able to recognize that killing the sea's is not the smartest thing to do.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Sadly the hunt has been going on for generation's
Yes, but mercury has only been an issue for a short period of time.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Wow To throw terrorist organization around like that demeans the real terrorist. The ones that kill people. I guess I just cant call someone a terrorist for protecting wild life. They dont blow things up, They dont even use violence.

I am not an Eco person. I dont put trees before people, but we should all be able to recognize that killing the sea's is not the smartest thing to do.
Actually they have used bombs on ships they've sunk. Sea Shepherd's Record of Violence (http://www.highnorth.no/library/movements/Sea_Shepherd/se-sh-re.htm - broken link)

FBI considers them terrorists: Federal Bureau of Investigation - Congressional Testimony (http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress02/jarboe021202.htm - broken link)

Interpol has also listed Watson on their watch list for terrorism.

They put lives at serious risk everytime they ram a ship in the antarctic ocean in frigid waters far from any help, health and safety at risk everytime they throw acid at people, everytime they get close and break up ice under sealers' feet in Canada (which would drown them given their heavy clothing). They certainly caused injury and put lives at risk here:

timesofmalta.com - Updated: Fishermen to file claim against Sea Shepherd

Injured Maltese fishermen airlifted to hospital by rescue helicopter | MaltaToday

Sea Shepherd is an animal rights terrorist group; it's not about preventing the killing of the sea, it's about them not wanting anyone to eat fish, meat, use fur, etc. and resorting to dangerous and violent tactics to force their political agenda on people (meets the definition of terrorism).

Even greenpeace denounces them as violent: http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...y/paul-watson/

Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,560 times
Quote:
Actually they have used bombs on ships they've sunk. Sea Shepherd's Record of Violence (http://www.highnorth.no/library/movements/Sea_Shepherd/se-sh-re.htm - broken link)

FBI considers them terrorists: Federal Bureau of Investigation - Congressional Testimony (http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress02/jarboe021202.htm - broken link)

Interpol has also listed Watson on their watch list for terrorism.

They put lives at serious risk everytime they ram a ship in the antarctic ocean in frigid waters far from any help, health and safety at risk everytime they throw acid at people, everytime they get close and break up ice under sealers' feet in Canada (which would drown them given their heavy clothing). They certainly caused injury and put lives at risk here:

timesofmalta.com - Updated: Fishermen to file claim against Sea Shepherd

Injured Maltese fishermen airlifted to hospital by rescue helicopter | MaltaToday

Sea Shepherd is an animal rights terrorist group; it's not about preventing the killing of the sea, it's about them not wanting anyone to eat fish, meat, use fur, etc. and resorting to dangerous and violent tactics to force their political agenda on people (meets the definition of terrorism).

Even greenpeace denounces them as violent: Paul Watson, Sea Shepherd and Greenpeace: some facts | Greenpeace International

You know what though? he has not killed anyone, Japan is just as aggressive and no one is doing jack about the illegal whaling or (immoral) dolphin slaughter. Someone has to. Until he kills someone or does something too crazy for me, I support him. Japan is doing everything they can do to get the whaling ban taken away. Buteric acid just makes you nauseous and stinks horribly. I don't see it killing anyone.
We can argue all day. Someone has to stand up for the ocean- we are killing it, literally, faster than we imagine.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:32 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Considering the levels of brutality humans commit against other humans, I'm not surprised by what we'll do to animals (intelligent or otherwise). With that said, we have to eat and the slaughter of animals for human consumption is not pretty.

Regarding zoos and aquariums, my opinion is that those places are kind of like prisons for animals. The animals always look a little bummed out being there. There is a fine line with those, though. Zoos and aquariums make real what is often abstract because most people will never go to the places where these animals really live. It is an educational experience.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
You know what though? he has not killed anyone, Japan is just as aggressive and no one is doing jack about the illegal whaling or (immoral) dolphin slaughter. Someone has to. Until he kills someone or does something too crazy for me, I support him. Japan is doing everything they can do to get the whaling ban taken away. Buteric acid just makes you nauseous and stinks horribly. I don't see it killing anyone.
We can argue all day. Someone has to stand up for the ocean- we are killing it, literally, faster than we imagine.
Japan is aggressive? Legally, under international law on piracy, they can just kill every one of the sea shepherd terrorists/pirates. They're showing a lot of restraint.

The whaling is not illegal. The IWC cooperates in issuing the permits. If it were illegal the IWC would condemn it, as anti-whaling nations have a slight advantage in it. Furthermore, the IWC is voluntary, Japan could leave it and not be bound by it at all. The claims Australia owns the waters that Watson trots out is nonsense as the Antarctic Treaty ended such claims and Australia signed it.

Butyric acid is quite dangerous. The MSDS on it: http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Butyric_acid-9923216

Old 09-24-2010, 09:33 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
Quote:

I think, attempting to disable a ship in antarctic water is violent. If they were to succeed with a prop fouler and a storm were to come through, those fishermen would be in grave danger, unable to move the ship.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:40 PM

737 posts, read 1,582,560 times
Quote:
Japan is aggressive? Legally, under international law on piracy, they can just kill every one of the sea shepherd terrorists/pirates. They're showing a lot of restraint.

The whaling is not illegal. The IWC cooperates in issuing the permits. If it were illegal the IWC would condemn it, as anti-whaling nations have a slight advantage in it. Furthermore, the IWC is voluntary, Japan could leave it and not be bound by it at all. The claims Australia owns the waters that Watson trots out is nonsense as the Antarctic Treaty ended such claims and Australia signed it.

Butyric acid is quite dangerous. The MSDS on it: http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Butyric_acid-9923216

No, whaling is illegal. Japan gets away with it cause they do it under the premise that is is soley for research. they don't research anything and they sell the meat.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
No, whaling is illegal. Japan gets away with it cause they do it under the premise that is is soley for research. they don't research anything and they sell the meat.
Why don't you go ask the IWC if Japan's whaling is illegal, since you refuse to accept the truth when I write it?

IWC regs require the meat be sold and not wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies