Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times

Advertisements

I have OCD, and quite possibly am on the autistic spectrum. I am abnormal because of these. Yet, why is it so wrong to use the term abnormal or anything else that makes specified darling groups feel "offense"?

It's accurate. What is so wrong with being accurate?

Examples, saying homosexuality is abnormal, will get liberals in a hissy fit.

Saying someone is disabled, will do the same thing, let alone using the word crippled..

Why am I not offended if someone calls me abnormal for having OCD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
I'd say this is abnormal:

LoveShack.org Community Forums - Search Results

Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I have OCD, and quite possibly am on the autistic spectrum. I am abnormal because of these. Yet, why is it so wrong to use the term abnormal or anything else that makes specified darling groups feel "offense"?

It's accurate. What is so wrong with being accurate?

Examples, saying homosexuality is abnormal, will get liberals in a hissy fit.

Saying someone is disabled, will do the same thing, let alone using the word crippled..

I love autistic people and now see why you do not see offense in some terminology. The worldview is black/white, gray areas don't matter, yes?. I see that as a good thing, not a bad thing, keeps life simple.
According to my son, the neuro-typicals (NTs) are abnormal

Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
I agree with you. Another example is the word retarded. It is a medical term but in today's "polite society" or PC world it is really not acceptable to use the word.

On the other hand in some ways our society and culture are down in the dregs. Unfortunately another example of the liberal media setting the tone for our country.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:10 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I agree with you. Another example is the word retarded. It is a medical term but in today's "polite society" or PC world it is really not acceptable to use the word.

On the other hand in some ways our society and culture are down in the dregs. Unfortunately another example of the liberal media setting the tone for our country.
So is Sarah Palin a good representative of the "liberal media"? She had big time issues with people using the word "retarded"... and is always offended about some word or thing said about her or her children...

Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Because you have another political agenda, and are making an honest effort to conform your own behavior to the political point you are trying to make.

Your effort to avoid hypocrisy is commendable. I mean that.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
So is Sarah Palin a good representative of the "liberal media"? ...
Hmm what do YOU think newtoll ?
Do you think that Sarah Palin is part of the left wing media?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,761 times
If we hang around long enough we'll see preferred lingo of the day turn into offensive words. As soon as someone uses the PC word as a weapon its gets politically incorrect status.

If you require me to use a word that doesn’t hurt your feelings then you darn sure aren’t going to like my next choice in words.
Is “Big Cry Baby” not PC?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
some people are not offended by certain words, and others are. and while i think that we do need to be generally respectful with our language, we still need to call a spade a spade. for instance, i dont think people with down syndrome, or very low IQ's should be called retarded, but at the same time i am not going to say crap like, the ignition timing in my car is abnormally low either. we can get our points across without resorting to truly demeaning language.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
some people are not offended by certain words, and others are. and while i think that we do need to be generally respectful with our language, we still need to call a spade a spade. for instance, i dont think people with down syndrome, or very low IQ's should be called retarded, but at the same time i am not going to say crap like, the ignition timing in my car is abnormally low either. we can get our points across without resorting to truly demeaning language.
True, it’s all in the intention of the word not really the word itself. But since laws cannot control intentions then those who are soft complain about the “WORD”.

So, if all those little soft delicate people out there need mommy to come and hold them while the big bad mean guy says words like poopoo head or turd brain let it be known that “Poopoo head” and “Turd brain” or not PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies