Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Well at $144K per year she better watch out...a few more kids and she'll hit that magic number of $200K which deems her "rich" in the government's eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 05:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
So people just starting scamming the system once Obama was elected? Before that they were all hard working citizens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Same scam as couples getting divorced so the unemployed mother can go on welfare, food stamp, medical, on and on. The former husband sends his payment to the state which kicks it to the mother. Oh did I mention the ex-wife and husband are still cohabitating under the same roof!!! The husband will have his place of residence address usually at his parents or other relatives. Thousand of tax payer dollars free every month. Isn't that just grand.
I know someone who did something similar to this but they were never married. She put him on child support and was able to receive snap, wic and medicaid but they were still living together the whole time.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:46 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And what say you about a divorced unemployed woman who receives no child support?

That would have been me 30 years ago. I was on welfare for 2 years while I got an associates degree. I could have stayed on for 2 more years but decided to use my new degree to work while I finished my BA. I raised 3 kids on my own without child support. It wasn't easy but I don't like taking things that someone else had to work for.

There are people that need help in an emergency. But, anyone that can't get their act together in a couple years is not a very good role model for their children. Unless physically or mentally disabled.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Taken away from her and raised by who? You? No, of course not. You can't take in every child in that situation and neither can voluntary relief organizations like churches. Guess what? That means YOU will be paying for it anyhow, via your tax dollars going to a state-run orphanage or foster parents. Either way, it won't save you any money, so why not just leave them with the parent?

Or, would you rather see those kids starving to death on the street corner because Mom can't feed them on what you're willing to give her? Maybe you'd rather see them dying on the curb from some communicable disease, which might very well be caught by YOUR kids, rather than provide medical care for them?

See? It's really not that simple, is it?

Oh...OK. "Get a job!" GREAT IDEA! But..where? And, how do you get a job which pays enough to support more than one kid on a single salary today? WHERE do you get such a job? China?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the likelihood of that Mother being able to support herself, and her children, without some public assistance is pretty bleak. Isn't it?
There are instances of people who actually need welfare, but WAY too many times it is abused and taken advantage of. Some have children just as means of an income and don't even take care of those children, so yes, in those circumstances the children should be taken away. What we need is more effort on finding and prosecuting fraud cases.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
but WAY too many times it is abused and taken advantage of. Some have children just as means of an income and don't even take care of those children,
Prove it. There are instances of that, but it's not as common as people think.

One more thing...the term "taking care" of children is another subjective determination, unless you have a check list of what "taking care" of your kids actually means.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Prove it. There are instances of that, but it's not as common as people think.

One more thing...the term "taking care" of children is another subjective determination, unless you have a check list of what "taking care" of your kids actually means.
Taking care of your kids means working to put a roof over them, food for them - which means 3-4 meals plus healthy snacks, providing clothing and needed medical care.

Welfare abuse is extremely common around here.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 AM

767 posts, read 489,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Such a damned fine scam makes you wonder why one quarter of foster children are awaiting foster parents.

By the by, I'm dying to know how you came up with the figure of $144,000 per year.
Per the link, some guy told some guy who told another guy, who decided to write an email to a blog. It must be true.

I'm against welfare fraud and I think there is too much abuse and the system is riddle with lazy bums, that being said, the story sounds like bunk. My bs detector is going off.

PS, I didn't realize that Obama created welfare.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
I can see the OP's point and it certainly is a racket. I was only able to find a range of stipends from 178-555 / month, no where near the 1500 mentioned.

If this happens and I'm sure it does it is an abuse of the system and should not be allowed. perhaps the issue is with allowing them to look after family members.
change them around and IO bet the problem will be substantially reduced.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,764 times
Or, maybe we could create a Baby Cap-and-Trade program but instead of carbon credits you get children credits. If you have no children, you can trade your credits to someone who does, or sell them for hard cash, and those with too many children could offset their penalty using children credit gifts from single family and friends during every baby shower.

Just pay every American adult a Welfare credit of $100,000 a year, with a $20,000 credit taken off for every child you have. Five children, you get nothing. IF you only have a couple children, you'll still get support, but not as much as someone who has zero children. This will create an incentive to avoid pregnancy, and will reward NOT having children. The single adult can take their money and spend it on all manner of things, stimulating the economy in all the sectors that matter (liquor, automotive, clothing, electronics, etc).

The children credit market could eventually be just like the stock market, and then children credits could be securitized, built up into unfathomably complex tranches, and sold to foreign investors by Goldman Sachs.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:02 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well at $144K per year she better watch out...a few more kids and she'll hit that magic number of $200K which deems her "rich" in the government's eyes.
Have you lost your ever lovin' mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies