Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Here in Texas we got in trouble for not spending it. We saved it instead.
Now we have a special "Texas" amendment to this last spending bill that won't give us money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 PM

613 posts, read 960,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Sorry I couldn't rep you again.

Like they are supposed to decline money that is going to be spent anyway.

The problem is that $70,000,000 that is supposed to create 100 jobs for three years will cost $233,333 per job per year. I applaud Republicans for doing all they could to stop this wasteful spending that will be passed along to our children so limousine liberals can build monuments to their taxpayer-funded benevolence.

All I know is that we had $260B in the bank when Clinton left office and how much were we in debt when Bush left office? We were losing 800,000 jobs a month with Bush and the Repub's now want to pay for everything. How come? Because a Dem is Pres. If McCain would have won our deficit would be twice the amount it is now. And no, I'm neither so you get a independent point of view.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
All I know is that we had $260B in the bank when Clinton left office and how much were we in debt when Bush left office? We were losing 800,000 jobs a month with Bush and the Repub's now want to pay for everything. How come? Because a Dem is Pres. If McCain would have won our deficit would be twice the amount it is now. And no, I'm neither so you get a independent point of view.
all you know????...sorry but you are listening to lies/mistruths.....and there are a lot of them out there, so dont worry..many people have been fooled

clinton never had a surplus...it was a projected surplus(es)..that never panned out...not one of them.....

what surplus

Fiscal
Year........ YearEnding..... ..National Debt.............. Deficit

FY1994.... 09/30/1994..... $4.192749 trillion........ $281.26 billion
FY1995.... 09/29/1995..... $4.973982 trillion........ $281.23 billion
FY1996.... 09/30/1996..... $5.224810 trillion........ $250.83 billion
FY1997.... 09/30/1997..... $5.413146 trillion........ $188.34 billion
FY1998.... 09/30/1998..... $5.526193 trillion........ $113.05 billion
FY1999.... 09/30/1999..... $5.656270 trillion........ $130.08 billion
FY2000.... 09/29/2000..... $5.674178 trillion........ $17.91 billion
FY2001.... 09/28/2001..... $5.807463 trillion........ $133.29 billion

so here is the question

IF there was a surplus.for 2-3-4 years...........why did the DEBT go from 3.9 trillion to 5.80 trillion????????????????????????

we have lost over 40 million jobs since 1993...the problem...freetrade agreements and high taxes

its not a dem-vs-repub thing...its a big business (repubs)-vs- big foreign business (dems)....which would you rather

the dems have sold us out

Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Of course they're going to put their hand out for a chunk -- their constituents are taxpayers too. And if they have to pay into a system whether they want to or not, they're perfectly entitled to fight to get their share of it back
Quote:
you'll go ahead and pretend like a constituency should be expected to fork over money for everyone's benefit but their own if Congress passes anyone else's budget priorities but theirs

Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
"Opposition to the Obama administration’s economic-stimulus package didn’t stop at least 24 congressional Republicans from lobbying the Department of Energy on behalf of companies and constituents who wanted stimulus contracts and grants from it.

Reps. Jo Bonner of Alabama, Dan Lungren of California, Doug Lamborn and Mike Coffman of Colorado, Lynn Westmoreland, Jack Kingston and Nathan Deal of Georgia, Jerry Moran of Kansas, Fred Upton, Vernon Ehlers, Thaddeus McCotter, Candice Miller and Pete Hoekstra of Michigan, Jim Jordan and Michael Turner of Ohio, Joe Wilson of South Carolina, Phil Roe and Zach Wamp of Tennessee and Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington along with Sens. Mike Crapo of Idaho, Sam Brownback of Kansas and Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker of Tennessee and Bob Bennett of Utah wrote to Energy Secretary Steven Chu and top Energy Department officials asking them to consider particular recipients for stimulus dollars in 2009."

GOP Lawmakers Sought Energy Stimulus Funds - Washington Wire - WSJ

So let's see what some of these folks have been up to this past year. . .

Dan Lundgren via Youtube:

“This crisis should not be seen as an opportunity to fund every pet project. . .The idea is not to grow government, but to grow the economy, create jobs. Unfortunately the stimulus package passed by the House fails on this count.”

YouTube - Stimulus

Well, waddaya know? Dan Lundgren wrote a letter to the Department of Energy that reads in part:

"We write today to. . . ask for your support for $70 million in funding from the recently passed American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. . . It is estimated that funding would employ 100 people over a three year period."

So the stimulus bill that fails to create jobs will create jobs for 100 people in your district?

Congressman Doug Lamborn of Colorado voted against the Stimulus Bill, saying on his website (https://lamborn.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=54&parentid=22&sectiontree=21, 22,54&itemid=100 - broken link) “This spending bill is a sorry substitute for a comprehensive economic stimulus plan. . . . It will actually weaken our nation’s long-term economic growth."

Oh really? It was only 12 days later that he wrote to the administration asking for stimulus funds, saying “These projects will create jobs. . . [and] will provide significant stimulus to our state and national economy.”

I feel like invoking my Gomer Pyle immitation -- Well gooooool-ly!

And guess who else signed on to that letter! None other than Congressman Mike Coffman, who is on record decrying the stimulus bill thusly: “The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is a massive and wasteful government spending bill that will not stimulate our economy, but will recklessly plunge our nation deeper and deeper into debt.”

YouTube - Congressman Mike Coffman on the Stimulus Package 1.28.09

Well gee, Congressman Coffman, perhaps you shouldn't have contributed to that debt by asking for funding from that bill if that's what you thought? How about that for integrity?

Then we have the lovely Congressman Lynn Westmoreland who thinks "Dem ‘stimulus’ a raw deal for American families (http://westmoreland.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=111461 - broken link)" and is "unnecessary spending that won’t create jobs."

Won't create jobs, huh? Then what's this all about, Congressman?

"In deciding how to allocate the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act's funding, please give consideration to. . . funding to complete. . . pilot projects. The research laboratory would employ 25 to 50 scientists and technicians, with secondary employment of up to 400 people.”

Joining him in this request was Congressman Jack Kingston, who said, “Mr. President. Where’s the stimulus package? Where are the jobs? This is NOT the change the folks in Coffee County Georgia can use. They need jobs.”

I'm sorry, aren't those jobs you're talking about in your letter to the Energy Department?

<sigh>

Michael Turner of Ohio is now apparently seeing ghosts.

“More Americans believe Elvis is alive than those that believe the stimulus created jobs.”

“I request your support for . . . an application for funding under the American Recover and Reinvestment Act. . . The project will create and retain highly skilled jobs.”

There's more, but I'm getting angry gathering up the evidence against these two-bit liars who have schnookered half the country into following them off the cliff.

How do they sleep at night? How is it that people in this country bought into their arguments against the stimulus bill, but are unaware that they had their fingers crossed behind their backs? Do they care? Where is Fox News on this? Do they care? Don't they think their viewers might care?

I swear I'm living in a nightmare here, desperately trying to get people to see what's going on, but they're all walking around wearing blindfolds.

The letters. (pdf file)
Why wasn't this reported on Fox News?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Parastic hypocrites.
i guess that would make the ones who had their hands out all along and never changed their minds just plain ol' non-hypocritical parasites?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
it was reported in the wall street journal, owned by rupert murdoch.

how 'bout them apples?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 AM

783 posts, read 815,208 times
Quote:
"Opposition to the Obama administration’s economic-stimulus package didn’t stop at least 24 congressional Republicans from lobbying the Department of Energy on behalf of companies and constituents who wanted stimulus contracts and grants from it.

Reps. Jo Bonner of Alabama, Dan Lungren of California, Doug Lamborn and Mike Coffman of Colorado, Lynn Westmoreland, Jack Kingston and Nathan Deal of Georgia, Jerry Moran of Kansas, Fred Upton, Vernon Ehlers, Thaddeus McCotter, Candice Miller and Pete Hoekstra of Michigan, Jim Jordan and Michael Turner of Ohio, Joe Wilson of South Carolina, Phil Roe and Zach Wamp of Tennessee and Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington along with Sens. Mike Crapo of Idaho, Sam Brownback of Kansas and Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker of Tennessee and Bob Bennett of Utah wrote to Energy Secretary Steven Chu and top Energy Department officials asking them to consider particular recipients for stimulus dollars in 2009."

GOP Lawmakers Sought Energy Stimulus Funds - Washington Wire - WSJ

So let's see what some of these folks have been up to this past year. . .

Dan Lundgren via Youtube:

“This crisis should not be seen as an opportunity to fund every pet project. . .The idea is not to grow government, but to grow the economy, create jobs. Unfortunately the stimulus package passed by the House fails on this count.”

YouTube - Stimulus

Well, waddaya know? Dan Lundgren wrote a letter to the Department of Energy that reads in part:

"We write today to. . . ask for your support for $70 million in funding from the recently passed American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. . . It is estimated that funding would employ 100 people over a three year period."

So the stimulus bill that fails to create jobs will create jobs for 100 people in your district?

Congressman Doug Lamborn of Colorado voted against the Stimulus Bill, saying on his website (https://lamborn.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=54&parentid=22&sectiontree=21, 22,54&itemid=100 - broken link) “This spending bill is a sorry substitute for a comprehensive economic stimulus plan. . . . It will actually weaken our nation’s long-term economic growth."

Oh really? It was only 12 days later that he wrote to the administration asking for stimulus funds, saying “These projects will create jobs. . . [and] will provide significant stimulus to our state and national economy.”

I feel like invoking my Gomer Pyle immitation -- Well gooooool-ly!

And guess who else signed on to that letter! None other than Congressman Mike Coffman, who is on record decrying the stimulus bill thusly: “The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is a massive and wasteful government spending bill that will not stimulate our economy, but will recklessly plunge our nation deeper and deeper into debt.”

YouTube - Congressman Mike Coffman on the Stimulus Package 1.28.09

Well gee, Congressman Coffman, perhaps you shouldn't have contributed to that debt by asking for funding from that bill if that's what you thought? How about that for integrity?

Then we have the lovely Congressman Lynn Westmoreland who thinks "Dem ‘stimulus’ a raw deal for American families (http://westmoreland.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=111461 - broken link)" and is "unnecessary spending that won’t create jobs."

Won't create jobs, huh? Then what's this all about, Congressman?

"In deciding how to allocate the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act's funding, please give consideration to. . . funding to complete. . . pilot projects. The research laboratory would employ 25 to 50 scientists and technicians, with secondary employment of up to 400 people.”

Joining him in this request was Congressman Jack Kingston, who said, “Mr. President. Where’s the stimulus package? Where are the jobs? This is NOT the change the folks in Coffee County Georgia can use. They need jobs.”

I'm sorry, aren't those jobs you're talking about in your letter to the Energy Department?

<sigh>

Michael Turner of Ohio is now apparently seeing ghosts.

“More Americans believe Elvis is alive than those that believe the stimulus created jobs.”

“I request your support for . . . an application for funding under the American Recover and Reinvestment Act. . . The project will create and retain highly skilled jobs.”

There's more, but I'm getting angry gathering up the evidence against these two-bit liars who have schnookered half the country into following them off the cliff.

How do they sleep at night? How is it that people in this country bought into their arguments against the stimulus bill, but are unaware that they had their fingers crossed behind their backs? Do they care? Where is Fox News on this? Do they care? Don't they think their viewers might care?

I swear I'm living in a nightmare here, desperately trying to get people to see what's going on, but they're all walking around wearing blindfolds.

The letters. (pdf file)
The truth is that the stimules bill is to small to cover the shortfalls of lost economic demand in the economy the risk now is deflation and not inflation had the bill been really expanded government as much as the republican argue then inflation would have been much higher but right now inflation is very low to low there need to be more emergency spending.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:

Yep, that stimulus has created piles of jobs. That's why we're all back to work. That bunch of liars. The real beacons of truth of course were those in the "recovery summer" administration who promised us they'd save us from 8% unemployment if the stimulus were rammed through Congress before anyone had a chance to scrutinize it. And thanks to them, happy days are here again!

If asking for their own taxpayers' money back is enough to make you this angry, I wonder what you're like when you become cognizant of something actually worth getting angry about. I bet it would be even more entertaining.
Deflection, a complete non-answer and a personal insult -- how quaint.

Let me try to keep this simple.

Republicans shook their right fists in the air and whipped their constituents up into a frenzy of anger over how this stimulus would not create jobs. They didn't put any qualifiers on it.

At the same time, knowing full well their states had projects that would benefit from the stimulus and would create jobs, they then extended their left hands and asked for the funding, stating that it would stimulate their state's economy and would create jobs.

I believe that every state and all constituents are entitled to their tax dollars being spent in their state. So why did their Republican representatives lie to them about how they could use these funds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post

Pshaw. We all know the answer to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

The truth is that the stimules bill is to small to cover the shortfalls of lost economic demand in the economy the risk now is deflation and not inflation had the bill been really expanded government as much as the republican argue then inflation would have been much higher but right now inflation is very low to low there need to be more emergency spending.
While that may be true, can you imagine how much worse the Republican meltdown and freakout show would have been?

Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Deflection, a complete non-answer and a personal insult -- how quaint.

Let me try to keep this simple.

Republicans shook their right fists in the air and whipped their constituents up into a frenzy of anger over how this stimulus would not create jobs. They didn't put any qualifiers on it.

At the same time, knowing full well their states had projects that would benefit from the stimulus and would create jobs, they then extended their left hands and asked for the funding, stating that it would stimulate their state's economy and would create jobs.
So where are all these jobs again? After you answer that question, tell me again who lied to us: the politicians who said the stimulus wouldn't do squat, or the "recovery summer" crowd who promised us their economic policies would prevent unemployment from exceeding 8%?

I think perhaps your righteous bluster is strategically misplaced. Then again, most grown-ups aren't surprised when politicians say whatever people want to hear and we no longer bother pretending to get all worked up when politicians talk out both sides of their mouths. We know they will do it just as inevitably as a dog will lift his leg against a tree. Yet we don't get angry the dog, for it is his nature.

Last edited by Drover; 09-27-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies