Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:11 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
We as humans have to take dog ownership seriously. Dogs will sometimes revert back to the behavior they were hardwired/bred for. this is what makes some breeds potentially dangerous. For instance, terriers were bred to kill small animals without exception and this is what can make them aggressive toward people and especially small children. It is wise before getting a dog, to research and find out what the dog is hard wired for. Dogs That Changed the World - Photo Essay: Hard-Wired Behaviors | Nature
for about the umpteenth time, animal aggression does not equal human aggression! just b/c terriers were bred to hunt and kill other animals doesn't mean they will "turn" on humans. terriers can make fine pets, though they will need to be socialized w/ small animals living in the house. even your own link fails to prove a connection between animal aggression and human aggression. there is no breed of dog "hard wired" to attack humans unprovoked. any dog that does is the result of poor breeding, poor socialization, poor training, and/or poor keeping, regardless of the breed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Did you read my post about dogs being "hardwired"? Read the link also. (post 76)
I think the multiple books and multiple research articles I have read over the last two years about dogs trumps one post in one thread. thanks....

Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
You are correct and this happened with other breeds in the past also. Whan a dog breed becomes popular, irresponsible breeders will pass off any thing as a pit, that even resembles a pit, it's all about greed. This happened with Dobermans back in the mid 70's when they were popular and resulted in some pretty bad inbred dogs that looked like dobi's but weren't really dobi's. Too bad the breed suffered for it
One thing that people tend to ignore is that dogs can be bred to have poor temperaments. Because of this, I do not trust Pits whatsoever. Decades of bad bloodlines have turned this dog into a ticking time bomb.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
No it doesn't mean they will turn, experts tend to believe this is the primary reason when they do turn.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM

449 posts, read 934,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
One thing that people tend to ignore is that dogs can be bred to have poor temperaments. Because of this, I do not trust Pits whatsoever. Decades of bad bloodlines have turned this dog into a ticking time bomb.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. 99% of aggressive behavior in dogs comes from improper socialization and isolation. ie premature removal from the litter and denial of a chance to socialize with other animals or people.

Every litter will naturally produce an alpha. These traits need to be addressed with proper training.

Honestly, why do people feel a need to post about subjects they know absolutely nothing about.

This thread makes me wonder - if a person states some sound information in a forum and there are no intelligent people there to hear it, is it worth it?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. 99% of aggressive behavior in dogs comes from improper socialization and isolation. ie premature removal from the litter and denial of a chance to socialize with other animals or people.

Every litter will naturally produce an alpha. These traits need to be addressed with proper training.

Honestly, why do people feel a need to post about subjects they know absolutely nothing about.

This thread makes me wonder - if a person states some sound information in a forum and there are no intelligent people there to hear it, is it worth it?
Plus, in nearly every 'dog attack' article, the dog was either chained up, not fixed, unattended, not socialized and my personal favorite, recently had a litter of puppies. What IDIOT let's their kid play unattended near a litter of puppies? Even when my Mother was breeding pugs she wouldn't let kids near the litter until they were a few weeks old because Mama pug WOULD lash out and bite to protect them.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I think the multiple books and multiple research articles I have read over the last two years about dogs trumps one post in one thread. thanks....
I'm sure you're quite the expert.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM

438 posts, read 947,143 times
My parent's neighbor got busted by animal control a couple of months ago. He was keeping pits penned up in cages where they couldn't even stand, and was not feeding or watering them consistently. One of them broke free, injuring himself in the process, and came begging at my parents' house. Super sweet dog, even after that horrible treatment. Every pitbull I've met had a great temperment. For every "I knew a really bad pit" post there is an opposite story. At any rate, my folks called animal control on the neighbor. The city has a pitbull ban so that dog probably got euthanized simply because he was a pit, not for anything he did wrong. I agree that most of the time when you hear about pits attacking, it's because they had idiotic owners like this. I live close to Memphis and the shelters are full of them, just the results of thugs who won't take care of their animals. If people were responsible in how they handled these dogs, attacks wouldn't be nearly so much of an issue. But since we blame pets instead of people, dogs get punished instead of those who deserve the blame. Bleh.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Not everyone is Ceaser Meilan, in fact most people don't know there ass from first base when it come to training dogs, nor will they bother to take the time.
first a few misconceptions on your part;

1: ceasar does not train dogs, he makes them part of his pack by dealing in dog psychology.

2: it really doesnt take that much time to learn the proper techniques to take the pack leader position.

3: ceasar is not the only one who can teach people how to be a dogs pack leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post

good post.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Ok if it is the way they are raised then why are so many of them so agressive? I've known many people with Pits and more were flat agressive than not, Personally I dont trust them but thats just me.
Another thing is why is it so many welfare people just have to have one? is it a symbol of some sort?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies