Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: News and a Question, Do you try not to buy products made in China?
Yes 19 70.37%
No 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 AM

467 posts, read 325,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
HMMMM made in China with hefty price tags on things like sneakers etc and the Chinese workers are paid what??? So they go overseas for lower costs but don't pass these savings on to the American consumer..
Welcome to the capitalist rat society :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM

206 posts, read 939,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
The biggest way I avoid this is to just NOT shop at Wal-Mart.

I think they are the 5th largest IMporter of Chinese goods. See, for all you conservatives out there who thought I was such a communist - I try to stay away from the true supporters of communism -Wal-Mart.

I agree!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
And I agree, stay OUT of WalMart! But aside from that, I still look at all the food related labels now, wherever I shop.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:28 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
I never shop at Wal-Mart. I do buy a lot of things at Costco.

Aside of items marked "Made in China," ever notice the "Made in Hong Kong" and "Made in Taiwan" labels?

Also, beware of items marked "Made in the USA" because they sometimes aren't. It's against the law but some manufacturers have had products made in China, brought over here and relabeled "Made in the USA." I knew someone who owned a business that relabeled products "Made in the USA." His reasoning was that he had the "Made in the USA" tags made in the USA so technically, the tags were "Made in the USA."

Something I find funny in Los Angeles: Some of the Asian foods sold by the Asian grocery stores are actually made in the USA. One of my favorite hot sauces was created by an Asian immigrant who ended up building a big factory here to produce his hot sauce! And my favorite soy sauce is made in Wisconsin!

Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
Rubber Maid went out of business due to this practice.
That's odd, the fellow who was the grand marshal of yesterday's Nascar race in New Hampshire and gave the command, "Gentlemen, start your engines!" introduced himself as the CEO of Rubber Maid. He looked pretty Caucasian to me...

Like it or not, we live in a global economy. The sooner that all of the world's countries have a decent standard of living and can provide for themselves through trade with all other countries, the better off the world will be. This is NOT advocacy for one world government, any more than I advocate doing away with all state governments in the USA. But, the 50 states trade freely among themselves while still governing themselves; there is no reason why the nations of the world cannot do the same.

The only possible stumbling block is fear.

PS, you can see Mark Ketchum, the President and CEO of Rubbermaid, starting the race at this link -- he comes on right after the Jeff Gordon interview, 32 seconds into the video.

http://dynamic.nascar.com/video/meta...r/video.ws.asx

Last edited by pslOldTimer; 07-02-2007 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-02-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
That's odd, the fellow who was the grand marshal of yesterday's Nascar race in New Hampshire and gave the command, "Gentlemen, start your engines!" introduced himself as the CEO of Rubber Maid. He looked pretty Caucasian to me...

Like it or not, we live in a global economy. The sooner that all of the world's countries have a decent standard of living and can provide for themselves through trade with all other countries, the better off the world will be. This is NOT advocacy for one world government, any more than I advocate doing away with all state governments in the USA. But, the 50 states trade freely among themselves while still governing themselves; there is no reason why the nations of the world cannot do the same.

The only possible stumbling block is fear.
I don't remember saying what nationality owned Rubber Maid - just that Wal-Mart forced them into a corner - here is the story and there are many more:

Sprawl-Busters ~ Newsflash Database
Newell Rubbermaid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
USATODAY.com - Wal-Mart's influence grows

I have a lot of problems with Wal-Mart, but this thread was about China. Wal-Mart underpays their employees, forces small businesses into bankruptcy, won't allow their employees to unionize, and many states have a very high percentage of Wal-Mart employees on their state assistance roles despite working.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:45 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Are there any products out there that r not made in China? If there r they r hard to find? What does the US make anymore?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
I read the links about Rubbermaid, and I'm really confused. The reports were that they had a price increase in the resin used to make their products and were forced to raise their prices as a result. Walmart then found a competitor who charged less and replaced Rubbermaid. I find it odd that the competitor was able to make the products at Walmart's price.

The reports go on to say that Rubbermaid was forced to sell itself to a smaller competitor, Newell. Yet, somehow, Newell has prospered with the product beaten down by Walmart, to the point where they are able to pay an expensive sponsorship fee for a stock car race. Poor Rubbermaid.

What it actually sounds like is that former Rubbermaid executives were too stubborn and too arrogant to make the changes necessary to compete in today's marketplace, and suffered as a result. Sounds a lot like the reason why Toyota is the largest auto manufacturer and GM and Ford are flirting with bankruptcy. Or, is Walmart causing that, too?

I shop at Walmart, and if another company comes along that will save me even more money, I'll shop there instead.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, My Wal-mart store seems to sell everything that made in China and I try not to buy anything made China but it's almost impossible to.

News, Avoiding 'Made In China' labels not an easy task.

Avoiding 'Made In China' labels not an easy task - CNN.com (broken link)
I honestly do. I NEVER EVER buy ANY FOOD ITEMS from China. I TRY not to buy any electronics from China either, as the quality sucks (I usually try Korea or Japan). Taiwan is not too bad, but China... UGH!! And there is no way I'd buy any cosmetics or toothopaste from China either.

Oh why don't I buy food from China? Because if I eat at Chinese places, I get mortally sick.... it's happened like 5 or 6 times in different Chinese restaurants. And I had a co-worker tell me that when he lived in China for like 6 years (He's American) he was sick on and off with food poisoning every month or so. On the other hand, he said Japan is THE cleanest country in the world and food sickness is extremely rare.

I think people get sick with Chinese food because it is so dirty.... people don't wash hands and stuff and in Orlando they had several channel 6 news uncovering how dirty the Chinese restaurants were, buying old modly fish, etc etc.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
I read the links about Rubbermaid, and I'm really confused. The reports were that they had a price increase in the resin used to make their products and were forced to raise their prices as a result. Walmart then found a competitor who charged less and replaced Rubbermaid. I find it odd that the competitor was able to make the products at Walmart's price.

The reports go on to say that Rubbermaid was forced to sell itself to a smaller competitor, Newell. Yet, somehow, Newell has prospered with the product beaten down by Walmart, to the point where they are able to pay an expensive sponsorship fee for a stock car race. Poor Rubbermaid.

What it actually sounds like is that former Rubbermaid executives were too stubborn and too arrogant to make the changes necessary to compete in today's marketplace, and suffered as a result. Sounds a lot like the reason why Toyota is the largest auto manufacturer and GM and Ford are flirting with bankruptcy. Or, is Walmart causing that, too?

I shop at Walmart, and if another company comes along that will save me even more money, I'll shop there instead.
If I remember the story correctly, Rubbermaid refused to ship their factory overseas (thank you for NOT outsourcing) OR to reduce the quality of their goods to comport with Wal-Mart's demands. I guess they could have just fired all their employees and hired new ones in Taiwan or wherever, but I think they wanted to provide a good quality product. Has Newell done that? Maybe so. Does Newell manufacture in the US?

OldTimer - I usually agree with your posts and I can totally understand why you want to buy the cheapest product out there. I don't really care where you shop and if it is worth it to you to save those few pennies then go right ahead. I just can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies