Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 04:41 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,768,035 times

Advertisements

I’d be willing to pay more for a product made in The USA. End China’s grip on USA economy.

Quote:

A whopping 78 percent of Americans say that they are willing to pay more to avoid buying products made in China.
Additionally, 40 percent say that they will no longer be buying Chinese products.

https://bongino.com/most-americans-s...-made-in-china
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 04:43 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,125,281 times
Absolutely!

Ive been saying this for 15 years

Old 05-26-2020, 04:50 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
I have been doing this as much as possible for years. Don't forget to check for country of origin of your food.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:54 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
It's not always easy to achieve, but I always go out of my way and will pay more to avoid products made in China and for products made in USA or at least elsewhere, anywhere except China.

One would have to be completely insane to consume food imported from China, no way.

The US still manufactures cookware, and I have bought several items over the past year or two, made to last, a lot better than cheap Chinese crap. I did also buy a South Korean ceramic pot.

Some very high quality guitars are still made in USA.

Recently I was also able to find air-conditioner filters made in USA, high quality antigen-prevention filters.

Computers are another story, unfortunately. I recently had a choice between a model made in China and another made in Taiwan, so I went with Taiwan.

It might be useful to share lists of items made in USA.

Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2020, 04:54 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I have been doing this as much as possible for years. Don't forget to check for country of origin of your food.
already do........when buying fish/seafood also try to buy "fresh caught" not "farm raised". Although I do not entirely trust what is printed on the package.........I have almost stopped buying apple juice because most of it is from china......

Old 05-26-2020, 04:57 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I’d be willing to pay more for a product made in The USA. End China’s grip on USA economy.

https://bongino.com/most-americans-s...-made-in-china
Unfortunately, what people say and what they do tend to be 2 different things. I do feel manufacturing has to be brought back to America but prices have to be kept in check. Even with cars - the majority of parts are made overseas and then assembled here - unfortunately people like myself - lower middle income who will soon be on a fixed income have a hard time paying the prices they want for Made in USA items.

I buy a lot of China made items at the $1 store because they are affordable and if it breaks I'm only out a buck. Companies have to be cost conscious as not everyone will be able to afford Made in USA items.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:01 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Great article, no figures, no locations just their conclusion.....wothless

Old 05-26-2020, 05:07 AM

339 posts, read 127,698 times
I think most Americans say they would pay more for products made in America. That being said, if they're in a store with two similar products, one made in the USA and one made in China, they will tend to choose the lower priced option regardless of Country of Origin. However, this virus may change things, who knows. It will take a lot of changing though, try going into a WalMart and finding a non-food item that was manufactured in the USA.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:08 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I buy a lot of China made items at the $1 store because they are affordable and if it breaks I'm only out a buck. Companies have to be cost conscious as not everyone will be able to afford Made in USA items.
If real productive jobs were more readily available and if borders were really secure and if immigration really legal, maybe wages would be higher, workers would make real bank deposits, and they could afford what they make in USA. Wasn't that Henry Ford's idea about a century ago?

Part of the problem is that unions became greedy by the 1970s, and global production and consumption chains and webs today are in part backlash from that. We still see that kind of greed among state and regional government employee unions, burdening local government budgets and services with heavy drag.

To be sure, there is no question of reversing globalization, but slowing down the pace significantly and finding a new equilibrium, including the shortest supply lines possible for both efficiency and security reasons.

Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2020, 05:11 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Unfortunately, what people say and what they do tend to be 2 different things.
^^^
This.

It's easy to answer a survey asking "Would you buy US Made in preference to Made In China even if there was a higher cost for US Made." by saying yes.

It's far harder to do it. Remember we've already been through one iteration of this, and people chose cheaper Made In China over Made In The USA.

Further I'd be surprised if 40% don't buy Chinese Made at all, how many of those 40% have iPhones, iPads, or iMacs? How many have Amazon Echo, or Google Home automation devices? How many have a LED HDTV? How many have a PlayStation or Xbox One? All Apple, and game consoles, and most Echo and Google devices and most TVs are made in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies