Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 07:43 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Purchase the Raspberry Pi Computer.
Most are made in a Sony Factory in Pencoed ,Wales while others are from China.
It is a based on Arm Architecture and runs Linux Software.....................
Most are hobby kits but can be purchased as full functioning units............
Best of all.........they are most resilient to virus of all sorts..................
And completely useless for most things except hobbies.

Its OS is whatever you choose from Android, FreeBSD, Linux, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Plan 9, RISC OS, Windows 10 ARM64, Windows 10 IoT Core.

They're great for home automation, if you can program. However they don't replace even smartphones or tablets never mind laptops or desktops (which have been virtually replaced by laptops).

Old 05-26-2020, 07:50 AM

25,718 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I already did. Paid $30 for a shovel labeled "Made in USA". I now try to look at every item I purchase. If it says made in China, I put it back. We dont need govt action to punish China. We can all participate. If we stop buying stuff made in China, the manufacturers will have them made someplace else.
I'm doing the same. I've been avoiding Chinese purchases of over $100 for ~5 years, but now I'm doing it on every purchase. Sometimes, its impossible.

I don't mind buying foreign made goods, but if there is an American option, I'll pay more, and I try to buy foreign made stuff from allied countries. However, I still don't buy French wine, cheeses over the Middle East conflicts where France didn't support us as much as they could have.

I can afford to vote with my Dollars, and I do so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 07:57 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,303,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Its OS is whatever you choose from Android, FreeBSD, Linux, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Plan 9, RISC OS, Windows 10 ARM64, Windows 10 IoT Core.

They're great for home automation, if you can program. However they don't replace even smartphones or tablets never mind laptops or desktops (which have been virtually replaced by laptops).
Wonderful. We already know that it's not easy. But nothing worthwhile is easy.

Now instead of acting like a defeatist negative pessimist, which is easy, please make a positive practical contribution.

Please list something useful that you have bought recently, or at least know of, that is Made in USA.

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:05 AM

21,835 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Really doesn't matter what people say. It matters what they do. On an aggregate scale it's not hard to measure and the answer is abundantly clear. Whether that changes going forward, who knows. Stuff like electronics are almost impossible to buy something that isn't made in China/Taiwan. Intel fabs chips here and Apple assembled the garbage can but as far as actually getting a computer without Chinese parts just forget it. And electronics are in pretty much everything these days so your car is full of made in China even if it's assembled in Mexico with an engine from Canada because you're a red-blooded American who buys your pickup from an Italian company.

Don't really care myself. I have a slight preference for American made but I went through the phase where the reality that a lot of American made stuff is not only more expensive but also of appallingly low quality. If you go up to much more expensive, doable, but much more expensive. When I finally decided to buy dishes, for example, and stop living like a college student with a mismash of stuff I stole from various places, I bought some crap as I was in my rah rah USA phase. If you're okay spending more like 5 times the price of dishes you'd get at Target or whatnot which are not nice but perfectly usable, you can get good dishes. They primarily sell to restaurants though as most people don't want to spend $200-300 instead of $40-50 for a set of dishes. They're nicer dishes than you'd get at Target but Target works for me. I can put them in microwave and they don't split in half. Furniture is much the same story. It's not hard to buy furniture made here but, yeah, it's either but it costs rather a lot. If you want to pay a little bit more than Target prices you'll get a bad Ikea chair. If you're okay spending $300-600 for a chair then there's lots of very nice chairs in that price range, a few in the $200 price range, but that's double what a similar chair from Vietnam will cost.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-26-2020 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-26-2020, 08:06 AM

1,709 posts, read 806,400 times
It becomes like a scavenger hunt, especially in a store like Hobby Lobby. My wife now puts the cCc (cheap Chinese crap) back. Its 90% possible with a little effort.

Instead of cCc decor, go to a local artist studio and really buy local.

Think back to

Chinese Drywall
Lead painted toys
Tainted pet food
Fentinol
Environmental issues
Human right violations

Intentionally buying cCc really is anti American and anti world.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:15 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Quote:

Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:
Absolutely Disagree.
They are fully functional home computers that can be used to perform all your basic daily needs
from finances to purchases to emails etc..........Hobbies is primary but this is a fully functioning Linux operating system
which I am using to communicate with you at this present moment. Do not underestimate the power of this hardware unit
because of its size and do not underestimate the power of Linux.
Best wishes...............

Old 05-26-2020, 08:17 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
It becomes like a scavenger hunt, especially in a store like Hobby Lobby. My wife now puts the cCc (cheap Chinese crap) back. Its 90% possible with a little effort.

Instead of cCc decor, go to a local artist studio and really buy local.

Think back to

Chinese Drywall
Lead painted toys
Tainted pet food
Fentinol
Environmental issues
Human right violations

Intentionally buying cCc really is anti American and anti world.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Oh gosh, you overlooked the misspelled word in that post (fentinol instead of fentanyl). I wonder why?

Old 05-26-2020, 08:26 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,372 times
If its not possible to find an item made in the USA I then try to find one made in South Korea or europe...........hell, even vietnam if I have to.........even though vietnam is also communist..... they were the last country to fight a war with China... and they spanked their ass.........

Old 05-26-2020, 08:28 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,371 times
Quote:
Good for you, but this has already been tried and failed.

You know the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing a second time and expecting different results.

The US public already voted with their dollars, they chose China, try something else, because just expecting the US consumers to suck it up isn't going to succeed. I don't care what the poll says, because people say loads of things, then actually see the cost, and change their minds.
I agree, It does not work if we try buy American via the consumer approach.
It needs to be done from the same place that got us here in the first place.

At the government level.
Lousy trade agreements pushed for by Big Business Lobbyists also started at the government level and is what got us here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies